Mk5 Golf GTI: EVAP Emission Control Sys - error

Started by Thirdeye, May 25, 2015, 07:31:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirdeye

So, i have been having this error 'EVAP Emission Control Sys  - p0441 - 002 - incorrect flow intermittent freeze frame' error occurring on my mk5 gti.

There doesn't seem to be any damage to the pipes going to the carbon canister and before I go and change parts - has anyone had this issue before and what did you do to resolve it?

The engine light appears to go on and off at times a week with no error and then it will log it again.

Cheers
2007 VW Golf GTi - (NZ New)

HaNs

Quite common http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16825/P0441/001089

As I remember there is a superseded setup from VW. Have a search on the forum, there should be a few threads

Thirdeye

GLIDN

Have a quick search. I have covered this topic a fair few times now.
If you choose not to replace the required parts.

Make sure you only fill the tank to where the nozzle stops.
Even one attempt of extra gas. Will trigger the error code again.
Which will result the check engine light.

However, no issues driving the car as is.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

Thirdeye

Checked everything that ross tech tells you to check and we couldn't find any issues, nothing was blocked or damaged.... N80 and N115 were fine too... will need to keep an eye on it and see how it goes. Fuel cap seal is fine too.

Only other option is to the use the plug in reader and measure the intakes... anyone know where to find the default values they should be sitting at?

Some of my details plugged in during idle are:

Commanded evaporative purge' sits at 31.3
Ignition timing advance is 2.0
Long term fuel trim bank is -0.6
Air flow rate s 2.51
Intake air temp is 91

GLIDN

It's the breather hose from tank to the charcoal cannister that has fuel vapour/sometimes file stuck.

This damages the N80 valve and charcoal cannister.

Thirdeye

Quote from: GLIDN on May 29, 2015, 02:08:40 PM
It's the breather hose from tank to the charcoal cannister that has fuel vapour/sometimes file stuck.

This damages the N80 valve and charcoal cannister.

Sounds about right! We sprayed the breather hose and valves and light hasn't been on for 3 weeks now! Seems to be a cheap fix - must have had some crap stuck in it. If it comes up again I will replace the lot.

Grape

Hi there.  Just an experience I had with our MK5 golf.  Had Evap fault code come up also and had dealer diagnose. Told we had to replace valve, canister etc.  after doing so still same code.  After my careful investigation turns out wire to control valve plug had break in it and was throwing up same code.  Replaced plug and no issue since

slowmo

I hope you made the dealer refund you the cost of faulty diagnosis
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

hrrrrsn

Quote from: Grape on March 21, 2018, 10:34:58 AM
Hi there.  Just an experience I had with our MK5 golf.  Had Evap fault code come up also and had dealer diagnose. Told we had to replace valve, canister etc.  after doing so still same code.  After my careful investigation turns out wire to control valve plug had break in it and was throwing up same code.  Replaced plug and no issue since

What dealer was this? Just had my CEL light up and VCDS scan pop this code. Wasn't going to bother much with it since it's due for a service in a few weeks anyway.
Audi A4 B7 Quattro 2.0T S-Line
VW Golf mk4

GLIDN

before replacing any parts? Check your N80 valve and potentially replace.
Check all Lines to carbon canister and vent. Clean out vent return line to gas tank.

I'm currently in the process of deleting the N80 + charcoal canister in it's entirety from my own car and a few others.
Never to worry about these issues again.

Grape

It was a VW workshop on north shore Auckland. I was quoted $1000 to replace Evap canister , hose and valve, so decided to source parts and do myself.  No where near the cost and then I found the broken wire. I called them about it as I had to order a new plug due to wire being broken so close to plug. Told them about how I replaced all and still had the fault code and then found wire and they told me ?oh yes that would thro up same code? ::) hmmmm