200 help please

Started by mark2 golf, July 21, 2015, 05:10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mark2 golf

Hi have a 86 200 at work and it has come in with the flashing triangle brake pad warning light on the screen.
I have read it can be brought on by the front pad sensor. brake fluid level, PS fluid level for the booster and the pressure switch on the booster.
I have tested all these and all seems as it should be.
Is there some thing I am missing. I have looked on elsawin but it doesn't go back that far on my system.
Cheers Mark
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

Mike1410

I would go with a fault in either the brake pad sensor wire (perished/broken/missing plastic coating on the wire or wire itself pinched/ trapped causing a short) or the sensor connector plug (loose/broken/dirty connector terminals). It's a fairly common issue on a number of VAG products, but not surprising really given how exposed to the elements the wires/sensors are.  That's always assuming of course that the pads themselves have enough material on them that the wear indicator metal strip embedded in the pad is still intact and not exposed at all. 

mark2 golf

The pad sensors have continuity through them. I have bridged the wires at the car side of the plug and it still stays on.
89 mk2 1.8t
97 mk3 gti 1.8t
90 190e 2.6
17 Amarok v6
09 golf gti

Pushbutton_auto

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

cs100

i had the same problem, ended up being the pressure sensor on the brake booster?make sure you pump the peddle 20 odd times to relieve the pressure b4 changing?.

Pristle

Check power steering fluid. Failing that, check the bomb.

wilco

It could be the bomb failing - not building or keeping enough pressure in the system. I've had enough 100's and 200's that pretty much all of them had that at some stage.

cs100

Try cleaning the strainer in the hydraulic fluid container. 
As soon as I did this (last week) the light went out and the pump was a whole lot quieter when wheels on lock.