Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

The vacuum lines looked pretty tired.

So I looked a bit closer and found that they are not in good shape! The rubber is hard and makes cracking noises if you try to bend it.
https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRustyquattro/videos/1214589495308011/

So I cut new ones to length but I need to wait for the clips and joiners to arrive to finish the job. They apparently cleared customs days ago.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Finally got my joiners and clips and finished making my new vac lines. No change to the stalling when warm. Need to try a few more things now I've ruled that out.

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRustyquattro/videos/1219986208101673/

New development on the speedo, I can hear the speedo pulses coming through a speaker!! So I assume that means an earth fault in its wiring. Still need to trace the wires and see exactly where they go, I don't think it's as simple as a ground, signal and switched live.

I tried tracing the wires to the speed sensor tonight with no success - talk about spaghetti! But then I dug through my documentation and found this. Which means I can run a new switched live and ground to it and see if it cures the problem.

1985 ur quattro

colingrant

You've been a busy boy. Was the Vac line supplied from NZ?

le mans

Idle stabilisation valve could be playing up?

RobClubley

Quote from: colingrant on January 07, 2018, 09:32:48 AM
You've been a busy boy. Was the Vac line supplied from NZ?

No, Ebay. UK I think
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Dash and various gearbox speed sensors removed for some troubleshooting with a friend's help help later this week.

Also I've decided to call it with the drive to Leadfoot - it's in two weeks and it's just not worth the risk. Even if I get the WoF by then the car will be unproven. Still planning to go, just in another car.

So I think I'll get the front bumper removed and sort out the things I need to there like headlight washers and broken intercooler mounts, plus I will get my silicone hoses soon so I can do those too.

I ordered a new set of HT leads today just in case.
1985 ur quattro

Horch

Quote from: RobClubley on January 08, 2018, 09:50:26 PM
Dash and various gearbox speed sensors removed for some troubleshooting with a friend's help help later this week.

So it?s your intent to diagnose the fault off the vehicle?
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

Quote from: Horch on January 08, 2018, 10:09:30 PM
So it?s your intent to diagnose the fault off the vehicle?

Yep that was the plan! We failed to get the dash to come on properly so gave up on that to avoid damaging it, but proved that the factory sender works. Tried all new wiring, no change, so it must be the dash unit itself. Sigh.
1985 ur quattro

snowtyres

Hey rob
I have a new gear stick knob (repro) from classic quattro if you want it FOC. I got it and then had the original recovered so I don?t need it any more. Please send your post address and I will mail it to you.
Cheers
Rich
RR urq #487 of 892

RobClubley

Quote from: snowtyres on January 11, 2018, 11:58:50 PM
Hey rob
I have a new gear stick knob (repro) from classic quattro if you want it FOC. I got it and then had the original recovered so I don?t need it any more. Please send your post address and I will mail it to you.
Cheers
Rich
RR urq #487 of 892

Thanks for the offers, but John Stone sent me one a few weeks ago! I haven't got around to fitting it yet :)
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Good news, the dash and sensor have been proven to work. Turns out the wiring diagram I was using was for a 1985 car and mine is a 1984 build. So I was testing the wrong pins!