Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horch

Quote from: RobClubley on March 09, 2018, 02:07:32 PM
They have it all back together but the brakes still aren't right. They'll get back onto it Monday and bleed the system again, and if they can't get it to bleed they'll be removing the ABS pump for checking.

Did you mean remove the brake pressure pump not the ABS pump?

I struggle to understand why they are removing the ABS pump unless it?s leaking and drawing air. The pump only holds or releases individual brake line pressure when sensing a wheel lock. At rest and normal driving conditions all ports are open. The pump can be tested using a Bosch ABS test unit. This simulates and actuates the respective port solenoids per wheel line. Any fail with the pump operation or combi relay will activate the ABS warning lamp.

The pump does not create pressure or assist with braking effort. Only anti locking wheel function.

Brake pedal effort is assisted by the pressure accumulator (bomb) and at rest, motor off, should sustain approx 30 - 50 Brake applications before pedal goes hard.

Have you replaced the brake caliper hoses x4.?
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

Pressure pump would make more sense. Maybe I got the wrong story as I'm talking to the manager and he's talking to his mechanic so it could be Chinese whispers.

The hoses are all new HEL braided ones, yes.

Hoping it's not the bomb. I spoke to one of the urq Facebook group members whose bomb failed and it gave a rock-hard peda, which is the opposite of my issue.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Horch

If your master cylinder and calipers have been reconditioned then the pressure assistance circuit needs to be investigated.

Ultimately the system hydraulic circuit needs to be tested with suitable gauge for output.

Do you know if the brake servo was reconditioned at the time the master cyl was serviced.
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

brian

What's the score with this at the moment, Quattro 150, Rob  nil?  ;D
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on March 14, 2018, 04:25:16 PM
What's the score with this at the moment, Quattro 150, Rob  nil?  ;D

Seems that way. Toy Shop have had some staff away and busy times, so my car has been slow going. I keep calling them regularly, but am trying not to be too annoying.
1985 ur quattro

brian

OK, cool..............just hadn't seen any update for a while. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon.
Lucky you have the other one for some distraction.

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on March 14, 2018, 04:35:21 PM
OK, cool..............just hadn't seen any update for a while. Hopefully they will get it sorted soon.
Lucky you have the other one for some distraction.
I know! Trying not to be too impatient :D
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Got to love this photo that The Toy Shop Wellington just sent me. :D

1985 ur quattro

brian

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on March 15, 2018, 06:34:33 PM
your quattro ?
:o

That was the first thing I asked :D
Yes definitely my quattro.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

wolfgang

Very funny, excellent photo.
If they did this in their small forecourt they must have fairh in their work.

I took mine to my mechanic for a really good check, to see if i bought a good car or a lemon and just as well i did.

Found a coolant hose that is about to let go, so time to go shopping again.   
1985 Audi urquattro
1980 VW Scirocco S
1987 VW Scirocco Scala
1967 Dodge Coronet
1984 Chevy Corvette

RobClubley

They did it inside the workshop!

I just bought a full set of Samco hoses for mine which should arrive today. I ordered them about the start of November and Samco took forever to manufacture them.
1985 ur quattro

black16v

Oh No, now you're going to have flat spotted tyres. 🤔  You can't win Charlie Brown. 😂😂. 
Just kidding. Good to see some progress.
1988 MK II GTI 16V

RobClubley

Yay! The quality looks excellent. Worth the wait!

In other news - my brakes should now pass a WoF. Apparently they worked but the car dived left and right under braking! Then they worked out that there's a bleed process for the power steering pump which also provides pressure for the brakes. Bleeding that sorted it.

But there are a couple of other things that should have failed the last WoF - headlight bulbs which I bought which are a bit of a weird colour - will swap them for originals, and rear seatbelts aren't retracting. They're new so just need adjusting.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Went to The Toy Shop Wellington and did a bit of work on the headlights to help sort out the alignment issues

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

wolfgang

Great to see you are getting there.
By the way, i went to the Kapiti car show this morning for a look with the urquattro only to be told i cant park in the display area as this is not really a classic car.
If i would have taken the corvette or even the crapty old chevy ute it would have been acceptable.
Nevermind, it shows again how ignorant and one eyed some people are, still was a great drive.
1985 Audi urquattro
1980 VW Scirocco S
1987 VW Scirocco Scala
1967 Dodge Coronet
1984 Chevy Corvette