Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

What they have done is looking good but a few nasties have shown up
Makes a good case for proper rust protection in box sections
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

I know I'm not supposed to be spending any extra on the car but these are very tempting

Correct offset, 17x8.5", correct stud pattern and tyres are a cheaper size.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

le mans

Sounds like you are talking yourself into it Rob! They do look good, but nothing like the originals for the classic URQ appearance.

brian

They do look good but I think le mans could be on the money
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

00quattro00

Get them. Way better looking than the original ronals
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

Poonmobile

Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

rambo_005

RobClubley

Quote from: 00quattro00 on December 22, 2015, 11:40:21 PM
Get them. Way better looking than the original ronals

:D I'll keep the originals as well, obviously.
Also 00quattro00 your inbox is full - do you still want that GT bonnet?
1985 ur quattro

schattenblau

^^^ upvote.

keep originals for originality

run on the whites with greatly expanded tyre choices.

win !

RobClubley

Ahh dammit he sold them to someone in Germany - less hassle for him. Ah well, happy new year everyone. I will drive the Rusty quattro this year!
1985 ur quattro

RichardS

Hi Rob:

I was once the owner of the black urq you are bringing back to life. 

I purchased it from Rob? in Auckland and used it as a daily driver for a number of years based out of Tauranga.

While I had it I can recall that I replaced the head, injectors, many ignition components (including the ECU - the spare one i gave to Wilco was a bit intermittent), radiators, some hydraulic and vacuum hoses etc... While it's hard to imagine I also pulled out what seemed like kilometers of surplus wiring.  I think it must have had a pretty serious alarm and audio system at some stage.

As alluded to by someone earlier in the thread, it once had a leak from the LHS sunroof area.  This was "fixed" by a panel shop in Tauranga where, from memory, they somehow installed a drain hose that was missing.  They thought the car may have once had a significant accident that necessitated a major roof repair or possibly even roof replacement earlier in its life.           

It's great to see it ended up in good hands and will once again be on the road.  It will be worth the time and effort.

Be sure to get a hold of me if you require anymore history.   

Richard

RobClubley

Wow you did a fair bit to the engine. It still runs well and is mechanically pretty good. But as you can see from this thread the bodywork has suffered somewhat!
I pulled a load more wiring out. It has had a total closure alarm at one point which was partially still in there. There's still more to tidy up.
Same with the audio. The cones of the speakers in there had all fallen apart.
The sun roof had one standard drain pipe and one non-standard one. I've got some new pipe which I hope will fit into the pillars and I hope to run it right out of the bottom of the car rather than into the A pillars as standard.
The body shop has fixed some pretty bad rust in the sunroof drains too.
1985 ur quattro

the phantom

Rob, mate, restoring the car and keeping this post going as fully as it is!  respect
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

RobClubley

Okay. Definitely refurbing the stock wheels.
But.
Ooo...

Available in 16 and 17"
1985 ur quattro

ritmo

Big fan of polished rims..... but if aftermarket set... some compomotive five spokes please.

RobClubley

Probably way out of my price range but they do them in 16x8 and 17x8
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

They only have 45 mm offset available. So I'd have to run 20mm spacers which I don't want to do.
1985 ur quattro

89 Coupe

1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

spooln

A couple of years ago a guy in the uk had replica cd66 cromodora wheels made. (Abarth 131) Not cheap either but so nice....
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS