Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FFS

Awesome! You must be itching to start the reassembly, and even to just see the car shiny. I'm really looking forward to seeing it myself!

RobClubley

Quote from: FFS on March 11, 2016, 08:11:02 PM
Awesome! You must be itching to start the reassembly, and even to just see the car shiny. I'm really looking forward to seeing it myself!

Oh yes, absolutely itching to get on with it.
No progress in the last couple of weeks, trying not to hassle them too much, but also making sure I keep in contact.
I bought some replacement wheel centre cap bolts from the UK which I think will fit - they're actually from a Renault. But they sent the key without the bolts - doh!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Called in and had a chat today - bonnet is looking like new in black primer now and I've seen the paint, in a tin, looks good :)

They had the bumpers test fitted and there's some more metalwork to do to make them sit properly at the front. There's another repair on the front crash bar area which looked a bit untidy but I was going to leave it as it would be invisible under the grille.

So another day's work to pull that apart and fix it properly.

Oh and the car's no longer running - looks like maybe fuel pump, probably wiring as it has had a pump put on from a different car to get it going and the wiring's not the tidiest. Chances are that got damaged then they fixed the hole in the floor nearby.
I seem to recall Steve telling me about robbing a pump from one of his other cars.
1985 ur quattro

RS ZWEI

Quote from: RobClubley on March 18, 2016, 12:59:15 PM
Called in and had a chat today - bonnet is looking like new in black primer now and I've seen the paint, in a tin, looks good :)

They had the bumpers test fitted and there's some more metalwork to do to make them sit properly at the front. There's another repair on the front crash bar area which looked a bit untidy but I was going to leave it as it would be invisible under the grille.

So another day's work to pull that apart and fix it properly.

Oh and the car's no longer running - looks like maybe fuel pump, probably wiring as it has had a pump put on from a different car to get it going and the wiring's not the tidiest. Chances are that got damaged then they fixed the hole in the floor nearby.
I seem to recall Steve telling me about robbing a pump from one of his other cars.

Start with the fuel pump relay. It should have a fuse in it.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

wilco

Rob the fuel pump wiring is dodgy inside by the battery.  It's the single black(?) wire twisted to a green(?) wire that runs the pump.  Give it a tweak with the ignition on to hear the pump running before trying to crank it over.
It took me quite a while to find it when trying to get the car going originally.  It's just old an needs a tidy up.
You should have no trouble with the pump and filter, both new.  But yes the pump was designed for a CIS 911 so much the same specs for the time I had the car.  There was a good unit on the Coupe GT that I hope you kept!

RobClubley

Quote from: wilco on March 20, 2016, 09:03:50 AM
Rob the fuel pump wiring is dodgy inside by the battery.  It's the single black(?) wire twisted to a green(?) wire that runs the pump.  Give it a tweak with the ignition on to hear the pump running before trying to crank it over.
It took me quite a while to find it when trying to get the car going originally.  It's just old an needs a tidy up.
You should have no trouble with the pump and filter, both new.  But yes the pump was designed for a CIS 911 so much the same specs for the time I had the car.  There was a good unit on the Coupe GT that I hope you kept!

Thanks mate. I didn't keep the GT fuel pump and I'm kinda kicking myself about that.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

i may have a spare old old kicking around somewhere if you get stuck?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on March 25, 2016, 05:26:28 PM
i may have a spare old old kicking around somewhere if you get stuck?

Thanks mate. I doubt it's the pump, more likely disturbed wiring.

I went to the garage to do some sorting out of the many quattro parts. It has been a long time since I stripped it and I've forgotten where everything is. It's labelled but not sorted.
But I ended up doing something else. The rear plastic COUPE panel from the quattro has some cracks i it, but the one from the donor GT is much better, so I decided I'd use the GT one, then noticed that the quattro one has a fog light. Swapping it over became a two hour job with a Dremel but it's in there.

Got it cut out then realised the GT one was silvered inside.

Red lens glued in

Done

1985 ur quattro

FFS

That car's the cheapskates way of making a swb.

Thumbs up to your boss.

RobClubley

I received my strut top tool from Ebay today to take apart the GT struts (and it'll be useful for the quattro. It only fits one strut, bloody nuts are different.
1985 ur quattro

VW'n

Quote from: RobClubley on March 30, 2016, 10:48:08 PM
I received my strut top tool from Ebay today to take apart the GT struts (and it'll be useful for the quattro. It only fits one strut, bloody nuts are different.

O the joys of old cars!
I'm glad it's not just me who stumbles across this sort of thing.
Seems to happen when ever you think it's an easy  job..
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

RobClubley

Eventually I'll acquire all of the obscure tools and weird sized sockets I need.
1985 ur quattro

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

They're busy so it's not booked in until 13th April.
More waiting.
1985 ur quattro

brian

bugger , how much longer do we have to wait.
Mind you, I am following another rebuild thread and that has been running for 7 YEARS although the end is getting nearer and the guy is a perfectionist

RS ZWEI

Quote from: brian on March 31, 2016, 02:32:44 PM
bugger , how much longer do we have to wait.
Mind you, I am following another rebuild thread and that has been running for 7 YEARS although the end is getting nearer and the guy is a perfectionist

Whats the car?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

brian

Quote from: RS ZWEI on March 31, 2016, 03:54:37 PM
Whats the car?

Alpine A110
Cost to date about ?35,000 but that is still way less than half the cost of just buying one outright and he did buy it from his father for ?1.00 after being stored under a tarpulin for 20 years

RobClubley

Just came across this on one of the urq Facebook groups. Black, bigger spoiler, white 5 spokes. Mmmm...

1985 ur quattro

brian

I thought you must have been burning the midnight oil😊
Kind of confirms the color choice doesn't it?

89 Coupe

1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90