Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowburn

i rolled into smash place a few months back and they said they didn't have any coupe! LIARS!!!! hahahahhaaha,always keen on a poke a round,will stop by next chance i get to have a look... what side latch did John need for his sunroof again?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on April 20, 2016, 02:25:10 PM
i rolled into smash place a few months back and they said they didn't have any coupe! LIARS!!!! hahahahhaaha,always keen on a poke a round,will stop by next chance i get to have a look... what side latch did John need for his sunroof again?
They're through the workshop and out the back, right in the corner.
I got John a whole sunroof mechanism :)
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Mike1410

Quote from: RobClubley on April 20, 2016, 09:03:52 AM
Cool. It has the dash with lines across too, which is rare apparently.

I hadn't heard of that, they're on mine. I think they made a few cosmetic changes very early on in the life of the coupe. Being one of the first (built 1981 & first reg new in NZ early 1982) mine has the flat front with four recessed small rectangular headlights which were replaced by the larger flat front single rectangles later that year (for the 1983 model year). This design was replaced again with the larger sloping front rectangles in 1984 (for 1985 model year). Mine also has the large (and vulnerable) indicators fitted in the extreme corners of the front bumpers with a metal guard over them. These were also replaced by Audi when the 4 headlamp design was replaced so are like rocking horse droppings. Am watching some on Ebay, but they are copies and are ?140 ($300) a pair so will continue with tape repairs for now!

Am not sure, but think it was at this second facelift where the dash was changed (from flat rocker switches to cylindrical rotating), and where the standard alloy pattern changed to the more common thin multi-spoke design.

Am guessing (but have always assumed) that after the Coupe was introduced and sales took off Audi very quickly began to use more bits which were common to the Audi 80 on them wherever possible to keep the cost down, as opposed to the early examples which were using trim bits off the much higher priced lower volume quattro.

schattenblau

i had a nosey back in feb and the two audi coupes were still there.

watch where you tread, there's sheep poo everywhere !

RobClubley

Didn't notice the sheep poo, it must have dried in the sun :)
1985 ur quattro

dubstar

oooooh sheep poo. I went to a wreckers here in Melbourne a few months back and there was a redback on the front strut......I'd take sheep poo any day.
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RobClubley

Steve, Rusty's previous owner called and dropped off this for me. Inspiration :D

1985 ur quattro

Poonmobile

How cool would it be to replicate those decals and livery? I know you love stickersRob! ;)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

RobClubley

Quote from: Poonmobile on April 27, 2016, 09:03:26 PM
How cool would it be to replicate those decals and livery? I know you love stickersRob! ;)

Not thinking about that :D
Maybe temporary ones for a future Gumboot Rally or something.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

So close but still no paint! Waiting, impatiently.

1985 ur quattro

brian

I know you did tell them it wasn't urgent right at the start but this is stretching things out a bit, even for tradespeople.
Not wanting to discourage  you, but I have heard of people waiting for years on jobs that weren't 'urgent'
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

They keep telling me they want it gone, as they already have a rusty VW bus waiting in the shop and a Daimler lined up after that.
PJ has been taking too much time trying to get the bumpers perfect, as they have warped with age. I told him they look great now and please make it painted very soon!
1985 ur quattro

slowmo

Quote from: RobClubley on May 06, 2016, 11:39:10 AM
They keep telling me they want it gone, as they already have a rusty VW bus waiting in the shop and a Daimler lined up after that.
PJ has been taking too much time trying to get the bumpers perfect, as they have warped with age. I told him they look great now and please make it painted very soon!

Is it the bumper holding it up or are they still doing a few tiny little jobs on it to make it perfect?
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

RobClubley

Quote from: slowmo on May 06, 2016, 11:42:13 AM
Is it the bumper holding it up or are they still doing a few tiny little jobs on it to make it perfect?

Mainly the bumpers - getting them sitting right, and a couple of small jobs like new holes for the sunroof drain tubes.
But that's all done, just need to get them to set a date to paint it :D

Oh and I didn't realise until now that my boot is fiberglass, not metal.
But it still has Waxoyl rust protector sprayed inside!
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Woot, we have a date. Well, I hope. Car is booked for the full week of May 30th. Assuming they work on it for the whole week it really should be done and finished.
1985 ur quattro

brian

Audidude

Seen this Rob?
Pretty cool restoration not original but looks great project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPi8jTNLu4g

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

RobClubley

Quote from: Audidude on May 13, 2016, 03:40:56 PM
Seen this Rob?
Pretty cool restoration not original but looks great project.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPi8jTNLu4g

Wow that transformed somewhat!
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

My wheels are done at the powder coater's - should have them back Saturday morning so I'll take some pics :D
1985 ur quattro

brian