Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horch

Quote from: RobClubley on August 17, 2016, 09:21:36 PM
And now the fuel pump isn't working and I need to move the car in a few days for new insulation to go in under the house :D

Quote from: RobClubley on August 21, 2016, 08:22:48 PM
Back to the starting - I fixed the fuel pump - just a dodgy wire joint to the pump.
Still no start though.
Checked the wiring as best I could, looks okay I think. I even tried adding back the dodgy looking loop in the ignition wiring, no joy.
Tried the spare starter switch from the GT. Nope.
Found two blown fuses, changed them, no apparent difference.
But now the radiator fan runs all the time the ignition is on!
Two days to go!
Charging battery again just in case it's that. If not it might be time to investigate the starter itself.

Think I'm missing some script here in order to understand your plight.. The engine won't fire during cranking hence the fuel pump wiring diagnosis or the engine won't turn over on the starter hence the ignition switch swap and battery flat scenario..

Where are you at exactly? Fuel pump circuit or starter circuit delema as the two are independent.

2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

Quote from: Horch on August 21, 2016, 11:34:45 PM
Think I'm missing some script here in order to understand your plight.. The engine won't fire during cranking hence the fuel pump wiring diagnosis or the engine won't turn over on the starter hence the ignition switch swap and battery flat scenario..

Where are you at exactly? Fuel pump circuit or starter circuit delema as the two are independent.

It doesn't crank at all. Not a sausage from the starter motor.
Thinking of running a temporary wire bypassing the lot just to the starter as a work around so I can move the car this one time. I need it running as my drive is sloped on a bend, and carport is up a steep slope, so it wouldn't be safe or practical to push it.

Will have a better look tonight.

Fuel pump was a separate issue. :)
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

brian

When the circuitry has been through a major upheaval, particularly in your case with the removal of spurious additions made over the years I always think that it pays to check each circuit seperately with a multimeter to ensure continuity and also to check for potential short circuits
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Yeah I think you're right, I need to start pulling that mess apart and properly tracing everything. It'll probably be quicker in the longer run.
I was kinda hoping to test everything and hopefully leave some of it alone.
1985 ur quattro

VW'n

To test starter you can probably just run a jumper lead from your battery to the positive terminal on your starter it should crank and with the ignition turned on should start up?
I'm not sure so get someone else to confirm that it won't fry any thing
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

RobClubley

Quote from: VW'n on August 22, 2016, 12:16:05 PM
To test starter you can probably just run a jumper lead from your battery to the positive terminal on your starter it should crank and with the ignition turned on should start up?
I'm not sure so get someone else to confirm that it won't fry any thing

This is what I'm thinking of doing to get it movable for Wednesday. Couple of 15 amp cables should do it.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

In other news, a cat has peed on my spare driver's seat. It smells. :(
1985 ur quattro

kiwihigh

Quote from: RobClubley on August 22, 2016, 04:11:51 PM

I  believe white vinegar will fix that.
BUILT not bought

brian

Quote from: RobClubley on August 22, 2016, 04:11:51 PM

Obviously a stray ,your lovable little companion wouldn't have done that. Where is Gareth Morgan when he is wanted!!

RobClubley

Quote from: kiwihigh on August 22, 2016, 04:17:06 PM
I  believe white vinegar will fix that.
Sunlight Soap is good too.

Quote from: brian on August 22, 2016, 04:37:41 PM
Obviously a stray ,your lovable little companion wouldn't have done that. Where is Gareth Morgan when he is wanted!!

Can't be any of our well behaved angel cats. Yeah right!

Also this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFekwIZFHVU
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

It was just a factory connector behind the headlight that had somehow come apart!
1985 ur quattro

dubstar

Quote from: RobClubley on August 23, 2016, 04:00:18 PM
It was just a factory connector behind the headlight that had somehow come apart!

Must be those damn cats tinkering with your wires
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I drove Rusty for about 50m around the drive today. Made me happy.

1985 ur quattro

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

brian

Great feeling, the first drive (even if only a few meters) after putting a car back together.
Not wanting to be picky but I noticed in the background, that there is the opportunity for a little yard tidying when you have a 'down' moment from car assembly ;D

RobClubley

Quote from: slowmo on August 25, 2016, 10:32:48 AM
Should have taken a video Rob!

I thought about it, but I had four cars to shuffle around and I couldn't be bothered videoing as well :D

Quote from: brian on August 25, 2016, 10:49:47 AM
Great feeling, the first drive (even if only a few meters) after putting a car back together.
Not wanting to be picky but I noticed in the background, that there is the opportunity for a little yard tidying when you have a 'down' moment from car assembly ;D

It's in a terrible state. For some reason when I walk into the garage to get the line trimmer out I always get distracted by the black car that's in bits in there.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Passenger side window regulator, that's why it isn't working. Going to look around for someone local who can repair it.

1985 ur quattro

brian