Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

NZSPQ

I've bought a lot off AudiTradition over the years - great if you can actually find the part in their impeccable cataloging system :)
I was shocked when I saw the price on the cluster!!
There was a guy on S2Forum a while ago that had both amber and green clusters.  Maybe try a post on there?

RobClubley

Yeah their search is bad and it likes to change part numbers that you search for. I found that to my cost when I searched for a RHD part and the search "corrected" it to the equivalent LHD part but the photo was small so I didn't realise.

There are amber clusters on Ebay - for 999 Euro!!

I'll pursue all repair options before I look at replacement. There's a guy in Ireland reckons he can fix it if Get Electronic fail to do so. I'm reluctant to post it that far but if he can fix it it'll be worth the risk.
1985 ur quattro

RS ZWEI

Quote from: RobClubley on August 09, 2017, 02:12:36 PM
Yeah their search is bad and it likes to change part numbers that you search for. I found that to my cost when I searched for a RHD part and the search "corrected" it to the equivalent LHD part but the photo was small so I didn't realise.

There are amber clusters on Ebay - for 999 Euro!!

I'll pursue all repair options before I look at replacement. There's a guy in Ireland reckons he can fix it if Get Electronic fail to do so. I'm reluctant to post it that far but if he can fix it it'll be worth the risk.

Surely someone here can fix it?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

I still have the GT one. Some modification would be required as there's no speedo cable for the digi dash.
Surely someone in New Zealand must have the skills to repair 80's technology?
The guy in Ireland reckons he might be able to get his hands on another one. That's an option which would probably not be far off the cost of sending + repairing.
If I have to involve him I'll be paying duty and GST and postage on the way in, unless I take a risk and under-insure it.

Repairing the original feels like the best thing to do though.
1985 ur quattro

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

Period_Correct_

https://www.aucklandspeedoservices.co.nz/

literally my neighbour when at work. happy to help with shipping, handling etc, if you need.

Cheers,
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RobClubley

Quote from: NasTnaS on August 11, 2017, 07:52:29 AM
https://www.aucklandspeedoservices.co.nz/

literally my neighbour when at work. happy to help with shipping, handling etc, if you need.

Cheers,

Will contact them, thanks.
Robinson Instruments responded but didn't sound like they wanted to take it on.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Yes! I have indicators that work properly. It was just a busted relay.

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRustyquattro/videos/1106482282785400/

That box of bits has already proved its worth by giving me reliable window switches.

Garage helper. Now I have dog and cat paw prints on my car.

I've been putting off scraping all that nasty stuff from the back of my boot lid carpet. After two minutes I stuck the scraper into my finger. Time to call it a day.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

While I'm waiting for my instrument cluster to come back I've started to think about the stereo. At some point in the past this car had a pretty serious stereo install - for its time - but when I got the car the speakers were falling apart and wiring was a mess so I ripped it all out. So I need to start from scratch wiring in a new stereo. I got an 80s Blaupunkt tape desk with the car, which I hope works!

I'm going to get component speakers for the front doors, and I'm planning to install the tweeters where the tiny factory dash speakers were. I have two speakers with holes drilled like this from the previous tweeter install, and two perfect ones so the design of tweeter I get depends on which I use. I might be able to retain one of the factory speakers just for the voice module when I get that working.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I've ordered one of these Out of Sight Audio Bluetooth/amp units. I did a lot of searching around and this is the only unit I've found that does everything I want. Which is:
Preserve the factory tape deck so it looks and works as normal
Add Bluetooth music streaming
Provide an amp for my four new speakers
Be invisible in normal use
Provide an output for a second amp and sub when needed
http://www.outofsightaudio.com/mark-iii.html

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

The last part of my plan is this, to enable me to change tracks and volume without looking at my phone.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Finally I have the correct clutch reservoir. It just arrived from Greece!

Starting to add stereo wires. Speakers first as they're the simplest.

Oh and i fitted the wheel centre caps.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Took Rusty out of the garage for the first time in months. The brakes work but are well squishy. Need to bleed them again.

It would have been rude not to do a quick video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OvdC-Eeqq0
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Two years ago vs. now. Progress is being made!!

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

That boot carpet after an hour of scraping and scrubbing glue off the back.

Stereo cage is in and I bought an ISO cable. It's a start.

Out in the winter sun.

1985 ur quattro

brian

Must be a great feeling to have it mobile after all your work and the odd frustrating setback.
Looking good too!!
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue