Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on August 24, 2017, 06:00:38 PM
Must be a great feeling to have it mobile after all your work and the odd frustrating setback.
Looking good too!!

Thanks, yes it is a great feeling. It took me about two weeks to dare to try moving it :D
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

brian

Doesn't appear hugely lower in the pic but looks superb; I'd say you got it dead right
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

FFS

Rob, looking at your red interior pics from much earlier. In your research along the way have you come across the Michelle Mouton Edition coupe quattros? Looks like your urq may have come specced with that interior perhaps? I saw a code sticker on one on the net, it has code 97. Thought I'd mention it as I'd never known of the Michelle Mouton edition cars till yesterday.

Audi do

RobClubley

Quote from: FFS on August 25, 2017, 11:27:44 PM
Rob, looking at your red interior pics from much earlier. In your research along the way have you come across the Michelle Mouton Edition coupe quattros? Looks like your urq may have come specced with that interior perhaps? I saw a code sticker on one on the net, it has code 97. Thought I'd mention it as I'd never known of the Michelle Mouton edition cars till yesterday.

I hadn't heard of them! Mine isn't one though - the leather was a custom job done in Wellington about 17 years ago.

Quote from: Audi do on August 26, 2017, 05:49:26 PM
I share your pain

Ahh I'm not alone! :D

Good news! My instrument cluster is back. Bad news! It's working less than before. Sigh.

1985 ur quattro

brian

Quote from: RobClubley on August 26, 2017, 06:04:16 PM

Good news! My instrument cluster is back. Bad news! It's working less than before. Sigh.

Might have to resort to the Ireland contact you mentioned earlier

RobClubley

I have a few options - a friend of a friend in Wellington is my first option - he apparently does scratch built car dashboards, so we'll see what he can do.

There are a couple of people on the urq Facebook groups who have spare green dashes - price unknown.
Or I could change to an orange one from the later cars - but the two on Ebay are over 900 pounds. Gulp.

Then there are a couple of people I've fired off emails to who are experts on these dashes but one is in UK, the other in Ireland.

So as usual with Rusty there's no cheap or simple option.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

It's working! Found someone local who can fix 80s PCBs. (Thanks Fraser for the tip).
There were two main problems, a leaking capacitor and a cracked wire in one ribbon cable. He's going to replace the other capacitors just in case.

1985 ur quattro

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

brian

Audi do

Why was I thinking of Knightrider when I saw your mph speedo?.

RobClubley

I always think Back to the Future because it lights up with 288, 188, then 0 every time it's turned on.
1985 ur quattro

wilco

Get used to that E, bottom right.  8)  You'll see it often I'm sure.

FFS

Quote from: Audi do on August 29, 2017, 12:20:09 PM
Why was I thinking of Knightrider when I saw your mph speedo?.

AND it talks to you.

Nice one Rob! I've been looking at bringing one in from overseas, latest known good one available has a price tag in excess of 1000 pounds, so your one up and running is very good news for you indeed.

RobClubley

Quote from: FFS on August 29, 2017, 08:09:41 PM
AND it talks to you.

Nice one Rob! I've been looking at bringing one in from overseas, latest known good one available has a price tag in excess of 1000 pounds, so your one up and running is very good news for you indeed.

It certainly is! I'm in contact with a guy in Ireland who has one, and he's asking GBP 650 + postage. I can put you in touch if you need?
1985 ur quattro

FFS

Quote from: RobClubley on August 29, 2017, 08:43:50 PM
It certainly is! I'm in contact with a guy in Ireland who has one, and he's asking GBP 650 + postage. I can put you in touch if you need?

Yes please Rob, can you pm me?

RobClubley

Cleaning up the trim that goes below the steering wheel and holds the ECU. There are holes drilled in the underneath where presumably a car phone was once fitted. Seems like a good place to install my bass controller knob. I'm still not sure if I'll install a sub, but it's easier to install the wiring now.

Then I realised I installed the bass knob in the wrong piece. Not sure how I ended up with three different ones! This is the correct one.

Bought some contact adhesive and refitted the rest of the boot carpet.

There's foam around the edges of the glass vacuum tube displays in the dash to keep dust out, which had turned into a sticky mess. This was my solution.

Re-fitted the back seat. So I had to try it out.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

My car texts me now! GPS tracker is working.
1985 ur quattro