Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Sorry for the wobbly cam, the mount I used was not good for this job!! Thought I'd upload this anyway for the 5 cylinder noises :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGBPCWkmEU
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

brian

Quote from: RobClubley on October 07, 2017, 01:12:17 PM
Sorry for the wobbly cam, the mount I used was not good for this job!! Thought I'd upload this anyway for the 5 cylinder noises :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohGBPCWkmEU

It'll be OK once you replace the square wheels with round ones :laugh:
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

schattenblau

the jitteriness lends a documentary feel to the film.

:D

car sounded nice, good to see the dash light up .

;D

RobClubley

Sent the driver side tie rod off to HBI Engineering for the ball joint to be rebuilt. Then I can re-fit that, adjust the exhaust, and drive the car to bed the brakes in a bit more and get a quote on fixing that rusty hole in the sill.

1985 ur quattro

brian

Quote from: RobClubley on October 11, 2017, 04:02:51 PM
Sent the driver side tie rod off to HBI Engineering for the ball joint to be rebuilt. Then I can re-fit that, adjust the exhaust, and drive the car to bed the brakes in a bit more and get a quote on fixing that rusty hole in the sill.

How did the people doing the other body repairs miss that rusty piece?
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on October 11, 2017, 04:40:17 PM
How did the people doing the other body repairs miss that rusty piece?

I have no idea! It's directly below one of the holes in the bodywork so should have been obvious.
I do recall a discussion that we wouldn't fully strip and repaint the underside, but that all the holes needed to be fixed. Maybe they took that to mean ignore the underside and don't check it. I don't know.
It got to the point where I think they wanted it done and out of there despite them having had it for months before starting it.

It will remain a mystery!
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Dirty car:

Tie rod had returned from HBI Engineering and looks like new.

Should be able to get it fitted tonight, tweak the exhaust then get the car back on its wheels again.
1985 ur quattro

slowmo

Getting close to summer cruises now Rob  8)
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

RobClubley

Haven't had a lot of time to work on Rusty this weekend but it's back on its wheels with working steering. Plus I picked up this little gadget as the battery seems to be draining itself far too quickly. Might be a worn out battery or something draining it, not sure yet. You can Bluetooth to it from a phone to monitor battery charge.

1985 ur quattro

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Hmm, 98% after 24hrs, 82% after 48hrs. Haven't touched the car.
1985 ur quattro

black16v

Rob, you will have to check the standby current draw. Get a digital multimeter and set it to 10A DC scale (DC symbol can look like a straight line with 3 small dashes under it, AC is the sign wave squiggle) and move the red lead to the (10A) jack (or hole). Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery (I would replace that cable for a pre made heavy duty one, it looks dodgy) and connect your multimeter leads in between the battery post and lead. Your reading should be no more than 0.06 amps. The lead may spark and current draw start off high and quickly drop back, this is just capacitors in radios etc charging up.  If the current draw is excessive start pulling fuses with battery power on them until the current draw goes away, then your problem is on that circuit. Maybe first start looking at the accessories that you have fitted. A good one is getting the radio red acc and yellow batt wires around the wrong way.
1988 MK II GTI 16V

RobClubley

Quote from: black16v on October 25, 2017, 05:18:10 PM
Rob, you will have to check the standby current draw. Get a digital multimeter and set it to 10A DC scale (DC symbol can look like a straight line with 3 small dashes under it, AC is the sign wave squiggle) and move the red lead to the (10A) jack (or hole). Disconnect the negative terminal from the battery (I would replace that cable for a pre made heavy duty one, it looks dodgy) and connect your multimeter leads in between the battery post and lead. Your reading should be no more than 0.06 amps. The lead may spark and current draw start off high and quickly drop back, this is just capacitors in radios etc charging up.  If the current draw is excessive start pulling fuses with battery power on them until the current draw goes away, then your problem is on that circuit. Maybe first start looking at the accessories that you have fitted. A good one is getting the radio red acc and yellow batt wires around the wrong way.

Thanks for that I will try this when I get some time to tinker. The head unit had permanent/switched lives the wrong way around so I fixed that.
And yes now you mention it, that negative wire is dodgy, will swap it for one of the nice shiny new ones I was looking at the other day.
1985 ur quattro

GlenT

I think from memory my Ur was pulling 250 mAmps with the ignition off. This is due to the stereo and alarm.
My battery would go flat over a period of a few weeks if not charged too.
I should re check the current draw just to re confirm.

RobClubley

Picked this up from VW. Hoping it will be adaptable to make my speedo work again.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

That's the one for the auto gearbox with extra long tail on the turny thing. It might be possible to shorten it I guess :D
But I have a VW one to try now.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Hard to tell from OEM
Hopefully it works. Test drive on Monday!

As for the battery - it's drawing 0.04-0.06 amps at standby, and in five minutes where all I did was unlock and lock the car a couple of times, test the boot light, and run the interior light it went from 41% to 26% charged. Time for a new one I think!
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

A little bit more convincing...

Slightly improved weight distribution due to whopping big new battery. Need to work out a way of strapping it down.

i spent ages going around various Super Cheaps and Repcos trying to find a battery with terminals the same way as my existing one then realised when I got home that all I would have needed to do was flip it around and the wires would have reached. What a muppet.
1985 ur quattro

80 Vert

Nearly there Rob, will be great to get to that final detail stage.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration