Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Quote from: McDoof on November 13, 2017, 02:15:08 PM
Interesting. I always thought sealed was better for rock. Makes it more punchy.

Sealed would be much easier to integrate into the car so I'm tempted to go for that. It sounded great in a sealed MDF box in the Skoda :)

http://www.soundstream.com/manuals/EXACT%20SUBWOOFER/EXACT%20Subwoofer%20Manual.pdf
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

McDoof

Looking at the you would be looking at band pass enclosure for rock. Not really something you can do when you are in a tight spot. Plus you need more space. 0.5 for sealed, 0.75 for vented and lofty full 1ft3 for a bandpass enclosure. I recon just stick with a well insulated sealed enclosure. Unless of course you put in an MDF parcel shelf and cut a hole in that. Infinite baffle. Then you can just slide the original one back in when you want it back to stock. Plus you can mount a pair of 6x9s in there and the amp underneath.
flush mount the lot, then acoustic carpet over the top so it's all invisible when the boot is closed.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Quote from: McDoof on November 13, 2017, 03:43:11 PM
Looking at the you would be looking at band pass enclosure for rock. Not really something you can do when you are in a tight spot. Plus you need more space. 0.5 for sealed, 0.75 for vented and lofty full 1ft3 for a bandpass enclosure. I recon just stick with a well insulated sealed enclosure. Unless of course you put in an MDF parcel shelf and cut a hole in that. Infinite baffle. Then you can just slide the original one back in when you want it back to stock. Plus you can mount a pair of 6x9s in there and the amp underneath.
flush mount the lot, then acoustic carpet over the top so it's all invisible when the boot is closed.

In most cars maybe. But the quattro has a metal (structural) parcel shelf, metal behind the seat back and a large fuel tank between the two.

I went with a sealed MDF box in the back of the Skoda because I'm more comfortable working with wood/MDF. Tempted to go the same way here as I'm not sure if I want to get into the mess/fumes/fibres/time of doing a fibreglass enclosure. Given that it will all be hidden from view :D Of course it will weigh more. Hmm.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I did a bit more playing with the sub tonight. I looked into doing a fibreglass enclosure but I really don't want to get into that much mess, fumes and time! So:
Step one - make a CAD template (Cardboard Aided Design, thanks Project Binky!)

Step 2, cut a piece of leftover MDF to shape.

Step 3, make a hole in the spare trim piece.

Step 4 - test fit the sub. It fits well, plenty of room.

I'm planning to keep it simple, bolt the MDF to the bodywork, fit the trim over the top then screw the sub in place.
See what it sounds like! If it's not right it'll be plan B
Next step after that is to get some thin ply and use it to strengthen the trim, then find some vinyl and leather to try and match the existing stuff.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Sneaky school run on the way for more rust repair.

1985 ur quattro

brian

Well, that looks fabulous in the great outdoors, you should be very proud of all your work
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Did a bit more tinkering with the spare side panel to work towards get the sub fitted. I bought some thin ply to strengthen the panel so I can line it - couldn't find red leather but I got some vinyl which I think will look okay. We'll see if it does!
I used contact adhesive to bond the two wood surfaces together. The scrap metal pile came in handy to  weigh it down.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Looks promising.

Got another speed sensor.

It's the same shape as the Audi one but same connector as the VW one!!

Will have a play at the weekend.

Just collected the car from Kohl after getting the last of the rust repaired, and a battery clamp made. Pics later :D
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

The battery clamp that Kohl Rod & Custom Ltd made for me. Great job, very neat.

Fitted the new speed sensor but couldn't be bothered to move the wife's car out of the way to test.
So I spent half an hour trying and failing to get the centre rubber exhaust mount on properly, eventually leaving a cable tie on there which won't last long but might hold it until I can have another go when the car's on a ramp.

I did a bit more on fitting the subwoofer today. Test fitted the panels, and spent lots of time lining it up, trimming the MDF piece, making a metal bracket, bolting it in, realising it didn't line up, adding another MDF ring as a spacer and finally covering the trim in red vinyl.

1985 ur quattro

slowburn

are you going to be around tomorrow at all rob? i have found the under dash pieces you wanted to trace to make a template from? i could bring them over sometime and you can copy them? and take some pics? I have a piece of venting i want to ask you about fitting and a rear screen demister switch question too..... i need to fit them and just want to see if you can give me some tips
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on November 26, 2017, 01:06:49 AM
are you going to be around tomorrow at all rob? i have found the under dash pieces you wanted to trace to make a template from? i could bring them over sometime and you can copy them? and take some pics? I have a piece of venting i want to ask you about fitting and a rear screen demister switch question too..... i need to fit them and just want to see if you can give me some tips

Yep I'll be around pretty much all day.

1985 ur quattro

slowburn

cool, i have some errands to run and i'll messenger you later
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Pretty pleased with this. Just needs the grille fitting now.

Don't know how this happened, just old age I guess, and sun damage making it brittle. Ah well, time to break out the old heavyweight shift knob I had in the Skoda.

Got the water blaster out and gave Rusty a quick rinse. Only a week to go until Finer Details NZ do their stuff, can't wait!

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

More fiddling with the speed sensors today. The factory one works and produces a 5v pulse as expected. The two VW ones do not! Unless the pins are in a totally different order and I wired them wrong, they don't seem to produce the same outputs. I continuity tested the wiring to the dash - all good. So the fault is either the dash itself, or the connector on the factory sensor, which I have now replaced with some spade connectors
Next step - test drive. Can't do it now as I'll wake my daughter up :D

This is the shape of the passenger side under-dash panel I'm missing.
Thanks Takas for bringing yours round, much appreciated.

1985 ur quattro

slowburn

sorry for the guess on the broken tab...looks a lil...errr yup...i was thinking about it some more and i think it was a bit more like a kind of elongated piece that flared out like a fishes tail or a wingnut type shape...it broke off when i first got the car....well impressed by this thing in the flesh. its a credit to you man...
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Another sneaky school run in Rusty
You can tell where I went by following the trail of oil drops

No speedo on the way there. Working speedo on the way back!! As soon as the car starts to warm up, oil starts leaking, possibly from the dipstick, hard to tell. Need to sort that out though.
1985 ur quattro

brian

Sounds like you hbave a poor electrical connection somewhere in your speedo circuit.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on November 29, 2017, 10:03:59 AM
Sounds like you hbave a poor electrical connection somewhere in your speedo circuit.

Yeah I think so. Last night I continuity tested all the signal wiring from the sensor to the dash but not the other two wires to the sensor which I assume are switched live and earth as there's 12v across them. Will check the earth next. Tracing it should be fun.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Amp is mostly in place. Need a fuse and a longer power cable.

Looks like the oil leak culprit. I tightened it a little bit. Not sure if that will do the trick or it needs to be replaced.

Also I can't resist taking pics of Rusty.

1985 ur quattro