Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on January 21, 2018, 04:50:41 PM
it's good they are removable

;D

:D

Quote from: 80 Vert on January 22, 2018, 07:03:57 AM
And.............paw prints..............that would drive me nuts

I know! Damn cat got herself locked in the garage for 24 hours.

Wheels off to bleed the brakes again.

Don't worry that's not where I jacked it
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

black16v

Hey Rob, maybe check the load adjusting valve on the rear axle. I had one that leaked from where the mechanical linkage went in and sucked in air. Took a while to find it. No signs of leaking and had to keep bleeding the brakes. Had to peel but the rubber cover to find the wet signs of leaking.
1988 MK II GTI 16V

RobClubley

Quote from: black16v on January 22, 2018, 09:29:01 PM
Hey Rob, maybe check the load adjusting valve on the rear axle. I had one that leaked from where the mechanical linkage went in and sucked in air. Took a while to find it. No signs of leaking and had to keep bleeding the brakes. Had to peel but the rubber cover to find the wet signs of leaking.

Will check everything again. There's no valve at the rear, just a union splitting the pipe to each rear wheel. That has all been replaced.

Didn't get the brakes bled today as I spent the rest of the day wallpapering the lounge. :D

I did fit my new HT leads though.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Brakes bled again and they feel much better, I think they're okay now. Brake light switch is intermittent, so I ordered a new one. Just the headlight to check out and it's time for another WoF.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

A shiny new brake light switch has fixed the intermittent brake lights. I can't see any sign whatsoever of water in the headlight. So I'll book in for a WoF re-test next week. First chance I'll get to drop it off.

1985 ur quattro

slowburn

super easy to unclip the glass and have a nosey in there if you wanna be absolutely sure they don't kick you back on that...hate that kind crap
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

brian

Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

WRURQ

FFS

🤞Gonna be a pass surely. Good luck though!

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Sigh. He's still not happy with the brakes. So it's a fail. Going to take it to The Toy Shop Wellington I think, see what their opinion is. Just need to get it there outside of rush hour traffic.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Cheeky snap in the driveway on the way home.

1985 ur quattro

brian

What is their problem with the brakes..................is it retardation or pedal feel?
Do you think that they are expecting an older vehicle to match 21st century responses?
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

80 Vert

The pedal probably travels too far or is too soft.
Rob have you bled the master cylinder? It's pretty common for air to get trapped in the master cylinder and no matter what you do the brakes will feel crape till you get rid of that air.
With a car that has sat soo long I would have rebuilt or replaced the master.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on February 10, 2018, 07:00:02 PM
What is their problem with the brakes..................is it retardation or pedal feel?
Do you think that they are expecting an older vehicle to match 21st century responses?

I'm wondering the same. But then they have older vehicles in all the time so you'd think they'd be used to them.

Quote from: 80 Vert on February 10, 2018, 07:11:11 PM
The pedal probably travels too far or is too soft.
Rob have you bled the master cylinder? It's pretty common for air to get trapped in the master cylinder and no matter what you do the brakes will feel s**te till you get rid of that air.
With a car that has sat soo long I would have rebuilt or replaced the master.

I have bled the master yes. it has had a new one at some point, I think Steve replaced it sometime in the last few years, could be wrong there.

It feels a bit soft at the top of the pedal then lower down it bites much better. I'll get it to someone who knows what they're doing as I want this sorted :)
1985 ur quattro