Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

After an incident with the broken door check strap (which I'd forgotten to fix) and the Wellington wind, plus the garage door incident, Rusty was looking a bit battered.
It was time for a trip to Finer Details NZ for some bodywork love.
It's looking great now. Just need to re-apply the pinstripes.

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

schattenblau

great job.

did the white scrape buff out ?   

^ serious Q not the jokey it'll buff out   

:laugh:

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on June 22, 2018, 02:19:01 PM
great job.

did the white scrape buff out ?   

^ serious Q not the jokey it'll buff out   

:laugh:

It did yes. No paint damage to the car. I guess that ceramic coat is working!
1985 ur quattro

80 Vert

Quote from: RobClubley on June 18, 2018, 12:24:36 PM
Hmm. I took the battery back to Repco and they tested it, it's giving 700 amps and 12.7 volts.
Tried another new battery, same issue.
Put original battery back on, fired up first time.
It seems worse when it's warm which is strange. Turn the key, and you get nothing at all. Not even a click. But lights and everything else work. Turn it again and it works.

I'm thinking possibly a dodgy earth somewhere, or the ignition switch. It's strange that jumping it to another car fixed it straight away. It's very random.

We'll see! This has been an issue since day 1, I've never put much effort into it until now.

Voltage drop in the start circuit, wire in a starter relay.
Relay takes the start current instead of the wiring or ign switch.
Look up vw hard start relay for wiring instructions.  Very easy to set up with a regular 30A relay.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Quote from: 80 Vert on June 22, 2018, 08:11:51 PM
Voltage drop in the start circuit, wire in a starter relay.
Relay takes the start current instead of the wiring or ign switch.
Look up vw hard start relay for wiring instructions.  Very easy to set up with a regular 30A relay.

Looks like it might be a good idea.

Made a couple of chunky new earth cables. The starter and surrounding cables look a bit iffy. I didn't have much time today but I'll remove the starter soon and check it over, and the cables. I haven't found the third engine earth yet. Apparently it's on one of the engine mounts.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I also bought this as I'm charging the battery at least once a week - still need to track down the source of that. But in the meantime this means I don't have to keep taking the back seat out and sorting the seatbelts out every time.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I'm wondering if this is the cause of my intermittent start issue. The wires were green inside the shielding and the shielding was crunchy and cracked. So I made new wires.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Had a drive out in the rain today to Southwards.

9.74l/100km. Not bad! On a 90km trip at mostly about 80kph.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

It appears I have a serious boot leak, and some surface rust to sort out. Sigh.
One day I will fix an issue before I have to add more to the list.

I realised we never made any drain holes in the boot floor when the bodyshop had the car. So I made some. Need to make them bigger and add rubber bungs. And paint it properly of course.

The ever-growing job list.
1985 ur quattro

Audi do

Get that water out quick Rob, my car had water in those places and has made a nasty rust hole in the drivers side floor and will have to be cut out.
Take out the bung underneath as well.

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

Fizz

starting/battery drain issue sorted with the new wiring?

80 Vert

I'd be looking at a leaking rear window seal. Fit a start relay at the same time as wiring?
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Quote from: Fizz on July 11, 2018, 03:53:34 PM
starting/battery drain issue sorted with the new wiring?

Not exactly no. It starts more eagerly now but there's some sort of heat related issue somewhere I think. It fired up no problem 6 times then refused to start after a longer run. Leaving it for ten minutes fixed it.

Battery draining is still there too. I never seem to get to the task of tracing that one. Will get to it eventually!

Finally sorted that check strap. I buggered the rivet when removing it so a bolt will do for now.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

slowburn

were the straps easy to do rob? i have to do mine.. i have some somewhere ,i would have coughed them up but i needed them for mine
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on July 13, 2018, 10:04:30 AM
were the straps easy to do rob? i have to do mine.. i have some somewhere ,i would have coughed them up but i needed them for mine

Yes not too bad. They have to come out of the springy bit towards the car rather than into the door, so I removed the door card, unscrewed the whole mechanism (two 5mm hex screws) and took it out to insert the new strap.
Getting the rivet out was trickiest as it had been crimped at the bottom, so I had to drill it then tap it out with a punch.
Hence the bolt.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Odometer is visible again.

Quick wash for the meet tonight then when I set off, the noise from the suspension worried me enough that I turned back. I've gone over every bolt in the front suspension and most of the rear but not the top mounts so they're my next place to check.

Also I found out where it's leaking - from between two pieces of metal where the back corner was repaired. Obviously something was not done properly.

https://youtu.be/l9smm74YKHA
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro