Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

At least you?ve found the cause of the noise. Guess the old girl is grounded for the weekend then?

RobClubley

Quote from: le mans on July 24, 2018, 07:59:22 PM
At least you?ve found the cause of the noise. Guess the old girl is grounded for the weekend then?

Most likely. They can't start work until Thursday. So it's possible they might finish but it would be tight.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Picking Rusty up today to fix myself. I can't really justify hundreds of dollars in labour for a job I can do myself, just to get the car ready for this weekend.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

For some reason this is my most liked Instagram photo ever:

So anyway that suspension. Got the car up on stands, and found that the front right and rear left caps were loose.

I bought a 52mm C spanner and used that to tighten them up. Worth a shot before taking all of the suspension out. After a 40km test drive we still have no rattles, so time will tell.

I pulled the rear light out...

And there's a hairline crack between the metal panels.

Some silicone sealant seems to have sorted the leak.

At the other side there was a hole where the new boot floor piece was welded in. This may only be a temporary fix but I have sealed it with some body filler :)

Some driveway shots :D

[/img]

And true to form, during my test drive I noticed the front indicator isn't working, rear wiper has somehow loosened so it doesn't work, and the driver's door central locking motor has stopped working. Sigh. And even though the car started fine with 20% battery when I set off, and again before I returned, it would not start to move from the drive to the garage. I left it for a couple of hours and it sorted itself out. Really need to spend more time on that issue.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I noticed my front indicator wasn't working, had to take the headlight out to get to the back of the indicator to check the wiring. I managed to drop a screw into the void of doom, never to be seen again, then got the light fixed, headlight back in, the last screw I put in snapped the metal clip it screws into, had to take it all out again to fix that. Old car life I guess!
I wonder how long it has been out. That bus driver who called me a wanker for not indicating at a roundabout may have had had a point.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Right, that battery drain issue.
Starting with the factory fuse box. The fuses for flasher unit, hazards, horn, brake lights, stereo, dome and boot lights, voice unit, central locking, mirrors, cigarette lighter are all live with the ignition off, as you'd expect.

I pulled out all of these fuses for these to see what happened overnight.

Almost everything I've added to the car is on switched live, but (assuming the battery monitor is accurate) something was draining it even faster. I thought maybe the alarm trying to go off. It went down 23% overnight.

In the morning I pulled the power out of the (no longer working) GPS tracker. Battery was reading 52%. This was the reading after 10 hours.

And overnight it went down by 1%.
Looks like that little thing was somehow eating rather a lot from my new big fat battery.

New GPS tracker is ordered. I've gone for this one

https://drivingsound.co.nz/product/mongoose-pt890-gps-tracker/

which looks more convincing than the cheap AliExpress/Ebay one I had previously, and it has a useful phone app.

Next jobs:
Fit new GPS.
Driver door central locking motor not working
Rear wiper not wiping, but motor is turning.

And of course that starting issue!!
1985 ur quattro

VW'n

That's good news Rob.

What product do you use for monitoring your battery?
06 B6 Passat Wagon 2L Turbo (Family Wagon)
87 Mk2 Golf silver (the toy)
95 mk3 gti rusty ABF (Sold)
86 Mk2 Golf red (sold)
89 Mk2 Golf blue (sold)
85 Mk2 Golf GTI silver (parted)

RobClubley

Quote from: VW'n on August 09, 2018, 03:49:26 PM
That's good news Rob.

What product do you use for monitoring your battery?

It's a Matson Bluetooth monitor, from Supercheap
https://www.drivelife.co.nz/2017/11/product-review-matson-bluetooth-battery-monitor/

I fixed the rear wiper - just had to tighten the nut a bit :D I like the simple ones.
Pulled the old GPS out, and I took a look at the heater control that isn't switching from hot to cold, and nothing's holding the outer sheath of the cable in place. it looks like a bit might be missing/broken at the back. I really don't want to take half the dash apart to look at it properly, so a few cable ties have sorted it for now. One day I will have to strip the dash apart again and fix a few things more properly.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I sorted the wiper - needed a nut tightening :D :D

New GPS is in and working.

And I found that you can get an 82-litre tub in a quattro :)

Waiting for a new locking actuator to arrive before I take the driver's door apart.

As for the start issue - it isn't gone but it has improved. The GPS must have been stealing voltage as the crank voltage has gone up from 9ish to 11ish volts and it seems more willing to start most times. The one time it failed I was able to turn it off/on/off/on and each time I heard the solenoid click, then the fourth attempt it fired, so as well as the voltage it seems the starter itself is faulty after all. I know several people had suggested that before :D I can get a brand new starter and solenoid on Ebay for about $250, or pull this one out and get it refurbished. No idea what that would cost.

I have weirdness with the brakes again. Sounds like what the garage described before bleeding the power steering, which fixed it that time.
It felt like it was applying pressure to one side then the other, and a hard almost a pulsing feel to the pedal, then I lifted off and braked again and it was fine.
This happened several times during a short drive.
Could the pressure accumulator be the fault after all? It shouldn't need re-bleeding after 550 miles.
1985 ur quattro

the phantom

Quote from: RobClubley on August 13, 2018, 12:34:47 PM
I sorted the wiper - needed a nut tightening :D :D

isn't it nice when that happens, sadly all too rare
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

RobClubley

School dropoff on the way to Wellington European.

Of course the brakes functioned completely normally today. Have asked for a WoF too. fingers crossed.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Got the car back. WoF failed but they didn't have time to look at the braking issue!

After fixing the driver's door central locking (I hadn't clicked a wire connector together properly and it had worked loose) I started thinking about improving the audio setup.

I know there are other things to fix but I've been pondering this for a while. I have the tape deck feeding into an Out of Sight Audio Mk3, which acts as an amp for the speakers as well as feeding the sub amp via an RCA cable (with a level control to adjust the bass). But Bluetooth music volume is only controllable by the phone's controls. So I wanted to add an amp for the speakers, with another volume knob. I came across this really neat little 4 channel amp at Repco which would fit nicely, and bought another level control and some RCA cables from Jaycar Electronics. I pulled the car apart and re-ran all of the speaker wires to the rear left where my sub amp lives, then ran the new RCA cables. Then I got the new amp out ready to work out how to secure it in there, and realised that it has two inputs rather than an input and output. So I'll need an RCA splitter to feed both amps. Or I could use the sub amp as a primary (it has an output) but I'd lose the separate bass control.

Need to work out what to do with this :)

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

After a lot of swearing and a few more visits to buy cables and adapters I've simplified things a bit and ditched the extra level controller. The only RCA splitters I could get were simple cables with an extra end, and connecting those to two level controls didn't go well  
So I'm feeding the Bluetooth unit to the sub amp then outputting to the speaker amp. Which itself needed an RCA splitter to convert one input to two as it's two separate amps with no built-in option to bridge the inputs.
Just need to get the car put back together now.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Drove Rusty back to Wellington European for them to do the brakes today.

The stereo is much improved, and way louder than it was. Very happy with that.
The tape deck no longer plays out of the speakers though so I have that to fix.

And the horn has stopped working. Sigh.

I've decided that Rusty is like a Tesla in that it downloads new "features" overnight.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Could this be the reason Rusty is so hard to fill with fuel? It's the breather from the fuel tank and looks like it has been pinched under the tank at some point. Need to get underneath and work out where it goes, then replace it.

Also, standard school run pic.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

syncronised,my horn just crapped out too... ;)
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on August 21, 2018, 04:20:39 PM
syncronised,my horn just crapped out too... ;)

:D

So, my brakes again. I have an intermittent issue under light braking where the pedal is hard and the car pulls left, then right with minimal actual braking. Come off the brake and back on and it brakes normally.
Obviously this is a little disconcerting when braking is needed.

WEEU have bled the brakes and power steering again, no air was apparent in either system. They've suggested that the front/rear proportioning valve could be at fault.
According to my diagrams it's part 803 612 303 which is about $500 here in NZ.

Oh and my ABS doesn't appear to be functioning either. Sigh.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

is the abs light on? or is it out and the abs just doesn't go?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on August 22, 2018, 10:09:08 AM
is the abs light on? or is it out and the abs just doesn't go?

The light's out and ABS doesn't go apparently. WEEU tested it and the wheels lock up. If I go over 70 the ABS light comes on and stays on. This could be a mis-aligned or faulty sensor. I tested the resistance of the sensors and they are all in tolerance but I haven't had them connected to an oscilloscope.

Going to work through this, see if anything comes up.
http://audifans.com/mirror/www.isham-research.co.uk/quattro/wiring/Typ85/abspin.html
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro