Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

80 Vert

I hate to keep flogging a dead horse but why would you not fit a 20 relay first instead of a 350 starter.
There's a reason all modern cars have starter relays.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

brian

Quote from: 80 Vert on August 31, 2018, 02:40:52 PM
I hate to keep flogging a dead horse but why would you not fit a 20 relay first instead of a 350 starter.
If the solenoid is clicking in, hot or cold, what is a relay going to do?   Serious question
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

McDoof

Quote from: brian on August 31, 2018, 03:39:29 PM
If the solenoid is clicking in, hot or cold, what is a relay going to do?   Serious question
I means that your starter current is drawn directly from the battery and does not traverse the plethora of cables in the starter system. It just removes any potential power loss though bad wiring.
I thought that had been done already.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

80 Vert

Quote from: McDoof on August 31, 2018, 03:43:23 PM
I means that your starter current is drawn directly from the battery and does not traverse the plethora of cables in the starter system. It just removes any potential power loss though bad wiring.

Correct,  but good advice often gets ignored.
My point being that even if this doesn't fix the problem it's 1000% worth the time and money to fit one.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

Horch

Quote from: McDoof on August 31, 2018, 03:43:23 PM

Fitting a relay only bypasses the ignition switch. The relay therefore carries the current and operates the stater solenoid or starter control circuit (50).

Time a voltmeter was used to identify where the problem voltage drop exists.
2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

Quote from: 80 Vert on August 31, 2018, 02:40:52 PM

Quote from: Horch on August 31, 2018, 10:24:24 PM
Fitting a relay only bypasses the ignition switch. The relay therefore carries the current and operates the stater solenoid or starter control circuit (50).

Time a voltmeter was used to identify where the problem voltage drop exists.

Yep, I thought I had found the culprit when I removed the faulty GPS. As always my main problem is finding time to do it. after the Gumboot Rally next weekend maybe :)

In a related inccident:

Typical Audi parking? Or pushed there after refusing to start at a petrol station?
Take a guess.

After about 15 minutes, attempt number 75 ish turned the starter and we were off!

The starter now has its little blanket to protect from exhaust heat.

I replaced the wire from alternator to starter too as it looked dodgy.

Then my daughter added pandas.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

schattenblau

Audi do

After all that work it is so frustrating to not be able to enjoy it because of all the niggles.

McDoof

Just put one of these in your boot and you'll be sweet.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Quote from: Audi do on September 03, 2018, 09:13:05 AM
After all that work it is so frustrating to not be able to enjoy it because of all the niggles.

I'll get there, it's all part of the journey.
After Gumboot Rally this weekend I'll probably have a list of things to fix. And I'll replace another starter component. One thing at a time until it works properly :D

Looking forward to stickering it up :D

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Well that weekend did not go entirely according to plan...

My daughter and I added the Gumboot Rally stickers

And on Friday morning we were off.
Got as far as Kapiti but with weight in the back, fuel in the tank and a passenger, the rear wheels were hitting the arches on every bump. This is my fault, the tyres are a size too big on the 18s and diameter is bigger than stock.
So we went to Cooper Tyres, who were not afraid to attack my car with a die grinder and hammer!

Much improved, but still rubbing on the big bumps.

Eventually made it to Taihape after putting $80 of 95 RON in in Levin and needing a push start from the petrol station.

At this point it was refusing to rev over 3000rpm when under load, though it revved fine when out of gear. I assumed this was the 95RON fuel and topped up with 98.
It then refused to start. I pulled half the dash out, fiddled with some wires, tried it again and it started fine.

So on to Taupo and it was driving okay but not great. Then as we got nearer things got gradually worse. The issue felt like a boost pipe had come off, as soon as it hit boost, the engine was pulling back and juddering. We limped up that massive hill and into town, leaving the car at the motel to cool down while we went and had a beer and a steak.

So up at 6am the next day and I jacked up the car and checked all of the boost pipes. All solid and well attached.

Then I noticed a small amount of coolant had made its way out of the side of the head gasket.

At this point we decided to call it on the Gumboot, and set off walking to the start line 1km away.
I did get to apply my new stickers though.

I had texted Wilco, who I bought Rusty from, and he was on his way down to check out the car. When he heard the news, he very kindly offered to loan us his car for the Gumboot. Suffice to say we gratefully accepted, so after a quick trip to drop him home, we were off on the rally.
The next day, the Gumboot brought us back to pass through Taupo around 2pm, so we decided to abandon the rally, get Wilco's car back to him and head off. So we washed and filled his car, got that sorted and test started Rusty, which fired up and drove fine.

We went into Taupo, stopped for a change of clothes. Rusty started fine. Then we headed to Repco to see if they had an ignition coil, as Wilco suggested this is a common failure point.
From this point on, Rusty has not started. Sigh.

We called the AA to talk about getting a tow home with AA Plus.
They agreed to cover a $1500 tow, blowing out my membership for the year, but still getting us home :)
In the waiting time we walked over to the Gumboot prize giving, and picked up our "Epic Fail Award"

Then it was onto the truck, and home!

Home by 1:30am.
Not quite the Gumboot Rally we planned. but certainly an adventure!
1985 ur quattro

brian

I imagine that this is starting to become a bit of a PITA; teething problems are a given, but this is taking things to a new level
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on September 10, 2018, 12:28:22 PM
I imagine that this is starting to become a bit of a PITA; teething problems are a given, but this is taking things to a new level

Project car life I guess. The start issue is annoying as it has been so intermittent but it seems to have broken properly now, so hopefully that means I can resolve it properly.
The wife was unimpressed, especially as yesterday was her birthday.
1985 ur quattro

Audi do

Gahhh! this is so annoying and I am only reading about it :).

McDoof

It's not just old cars that do this though. One day it will be working 100% reliably.... One day....
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

slowburn

what's the state of your battery? is it brand new?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

RobClubley

Quote from: slowburn on September 10, 2018, 02:04:00 PM
what's the state of your battery? is it brand new?

Yep brand new and charging fine. It has to be wiring. Short to ground or damaged wire. Going to make completely new connections from ignition switch to starter. And new switch should be with me very soon too.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

power feed to kjet? and the fuel pressure reg and the pump?  all leads that go to those items? HT leads even
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

slowburn

sounds like fuel supply related....pump? what is that looking like?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

slowburn

i had similar issues for a while and it was the pump and the fusebox fuel pump relay was a lil dodge,the plug where it fits into the fuse box....kjet needs a good voltage...and a good pump to keep the pressure up...that being said,what about the fuel pressure regulator? sorry man, trying to help and me blah blah blahing at you isn't helpful
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon