Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

When the start issue happens, it doesn't even turn over, starter doesn't move. Fuel pump is running.
I've replaced several things, just need to keep going until I replace the right thing, or find the culprit in the process!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Trofeo

Does the solenoid operate? If not, then you can look at the starting circuit as you suggested rather than the battery to starter.

Do you have an alarm? If so, remove it to eliminate that. Then I'd be looking at the ignition barrel. Then the circuit/relay for the solenoid.
Good luck!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

80 Vert

2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Quote from: 80 Vert on September 11, 2018, 12:42:38 PM
There is no relay in the circuit.

I double checked this last night as I didn't think there was. And there isn't.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Still broken but looking awesome.

Got as far as testing the ignition switch to the jumper on the relay panel where some cars have a relay. It gets power that far.
Ran out of light and time. Tiny steps.

My #Gumbootrally "Epic Fail" trophy and prize

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I sorted the start issue! There were two main problems. When I replaced some of the wires to the starter I bought some connectors to join the wires, which turned out to be somewhat inadequate, as the live one had melted and the earth wasn't connecting properly either.
I'm not convinced that the wire back to the joint in the relay box is okay, so I will replace the whole run with new wire from the starter switch.
The other issue once it was turning over is I have a dodgy connection to the fuel pump. WIll replace that wiring also.
There's so much sorting out of wiring to do, some of which is my own mess where I've made connections to get things working and not gone back to do it properly. Will spend some time fixing this and trying to get that spaghetti looking less scary.

1985 ur quattro

schattenblau

is some of that spaghetti stereo speaker wire ?

;D

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on September 15, 2018, 04:57:01 PM
is some of that spaghetti stereo speaker wire ?

;D

Yes I have some sorting out to do :D
That fuse box in the centre is going, to be replaced with something much better :D
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

In other news I think I cracked a rib! When I was laying across the driver's seat fiddling with ignition wiring last weekend, something gave,. I felt like the metal bar in the seat side support went between two ribs. It winded me for a second and hurt for a bit then has been fairly okay for a week. But now I can hardly move, can't lift stuff and it hurts to breathe. Bugger.

Might slow me down a bit on the wiring but gives me time to collect parts.
1985 ur quattro

dubstar

On the Mk1, I bought a bunch of the original style fusebox terminals and the necessary tools to extract them from the terminal housings.  This meant that I could strip out whole lengths of wire and replace them without any connections or potential breaks, which makes diagnosing future problems much easier.

Also, try and utilise relays whenever you are adding on accessories to existing switches.  These relays are what I used for my dual horns (NOS Hella Dual tones!).  They are tiny and can be heat shrinked to 'disappear' into the loom.

RS-components is your friend for the terminals :)

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

brian

That car is certainly taking its' toll on you.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: dubstar on September 17, 2018, 11:17:52 AM
On the Mk1, I bought a bunch of the original style fusebox terminals and the necessary tools to extract them from the terminal housings.  This meant that I could strip out whole lengths of wire and replace them without any connections or potential breaks, which makes diagnosing future problems much easier.

Also, try and utilise relays whenever you are adding on accessories to existing switches.  These relays are what I used for my dual horns (NOS Hella Dual tones!).  They are tiny and can be heat shrinked to 'disappear' into the loom.

RS-components is your friend for the terminals :)

They are really neat! Thanks.
1985 ur quattro

Audi do

Quote from: dubstar on September 17, 2018, 11:17:52 AM
Also, try and utilise relays whenever you are adding on accessories to existing switches. 

I learn't that lesson after fitting bigger wattage headlight bulbs to my Audi and the lights went out at 100kph one night........
For anybody that doesn't know the Cromwell Gorge. No street lights, completely black with a big drop off into water to my left , big bank to my right. Had to pull up mighty quick and judge where I was by the tyres crunching on the gravel on the side of the road.
Trying to work out why the lights died, kept jiggling the light stalk and felt something break and the lights came on again but only on full beam, got to my destination and checked it out in the morning to find the light stalk melted.
I bought a new light stalk and added relays.

dubstar

Quote from: Audi do on September 17, 2018, 12:13:54 PM
I learn't that lesson after fitting bigger wattage headlight bulbs to my Audi and the lights went out at 100kph one night........
For anybody that doesn't know the Cromwell Gorge. No street lights, completely black with a big drop off into water to my left , big bank to my right. Had to pull up mighty quick and judge where I was by the tyres crunching on the gravel on the side of the road.
Trying to work out why the lights died, kept jiggling the light stalk and felt something break and the lights came on again but only on full beam, got to my destination and checked it out in the morning to find the light stalk melted.
I bought a new light stalk and added relays.

Scary!  I also changed my headlights to LED bulbs to avoid  the extra load
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RobClubley

Quote from: dubstar on September 17, 2018, 01:14:34 PM
Scary!  I also changed my headlights to LED bulbs to avoid  the extra load

Aren't they illegal now? I thought of doing that for the same reason.
1985 ur quattro

dubstar

RobClubley

Onto another issue, which I've caused :)

My back wheels rub on the arches over big bumps with weight in the back. Some work at Cooper Tyres with a hammer and grinder has helped, but not fixed the issue.

I have changed the standard 15" x 8" wheels for my lovely Azev A 18" x 8.5" - which some people love and some hate :D

The standard tyre size is 215/50R15, which has a diameter of 597mm
I thought I had the right size when I bought 215/40R18, but obviously miscalculated because they are 630mm diameter

215/35R18 would be closer at 607mm diameter but would the ride be really horrible?

Another option is to refurb the original 15s and fit 225/50R15s, which would also give a 607mm diameter, but add an extra thousand dollars of refurb cost. It'd please the purists though.

There's also the option of raising the rear slightly as I'm running H&R springs. I do think the back looks to sit a little low, so 10mm or so of extra height wouldn't hurt, but I have no idea how to do this without changing springs again.
1985 ur quattro

slowburn

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

McDoof

While I am not a purist as such, I still think the original Ronals look the part. Pity that tyres in a 15" are getting a bit like hens teeth. Pity there isn't a 16" version. Then you could run a 16x8 with 215/45/16 tyre. Same rolling circumference.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

A company in the UK has produced a run of the original tyre size, as they're not made any more by the big manufacturers. Don't know how expensive they are though.
1985 ur quattro