Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowtyres

This may help..............
Vredestein introduces tyres for modern classics
The Vredestein tyre range has been expanded in response to fast-rising demand for modern classic cars. The first tyre will be launched in September and is designed for the original Audi Quattro. The tyre?s development was assisted by none other than former Formula One champion and Vredestein ambassador Jochen Mass.

?There is more and more appreciation for cars from the 1970s, ?80s and ?90s ? so called youngtimers or modern classics,? says Mass. ?They are also about to become classic cars, properly speaking. Unfortunately, manufacturers have already stopped producing original tyres for such vehicles. Owners are therefore forced to fit more modern tyres on their youngtimers, often with less than optimal results from an aesthetic point of view.?

?Vredestein believes that a quality product with a retro look developed specially for youngtimers is a better choice,? Mass adds. ?The value of youngtimers is growing and retro tyres that match their era of origin help preserve the magic of these cars. Vredestein gives the youngtimer tyres a fitting tread and an elegant sidewall design, while manufacturing them according to the latest production methods and strictest quality requirements. The drivers thus get optimised grip ? but combined with a retro look.?

Vredestein will release its modern classic range under the name Sprint+. As mentioned, the first will be a very special fitment: a 215/50 R15 for the legendary ?Ur-Quattro?. This tyre size has not been available anywhere for a long time.

?The UK market for classic and modern classic vehicles is at an all-time high,? says Karl Naylor, Apollo Vredestein UK country manager. ?Vredestein has a long history of producing classic car design tyres with cutting-edge technology and is perfectly positioned to fulfil demand from a market overall worth more that ?5.5 million (according to data from The Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) in the UK. Some models from the ?70s and ?80s are sought after by enthusiasts who loved them when they were new; their popularity and suitability for everyday use drive the demand for suitable safe, good quality tyres.

?By the first half of 2019, we expect to have approximately ten different tyre sizes for youngtimers,? says Michele Sala, product manager passenger vehicle tyres at Apollo Vredestein. ?Vredestein maintains intensive contact with the major tyre dealers and historic car clubs to explore demand for various sizes of youngtimer tyres. Tyres for popular brands such as Porsche, Jaguar, Mercedes-Benz, BMW and Alfa Romeo are among those being considered.?

RobClubley

Yes, that's what I was thinking of. Not UK at all, Dutch!
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Horch

Quote from: RobClubley on September 18, 2018, 01:24:39 PM

The standard tyre size is 215/50R15, which has a diameter of 597mm
I thought I had the right size when I bought 215/40R18, but obviously miscalculated because they are 630mm diameter

215/35R18 would be closer at 607mm diameter but would the ride be really horrible?

The ideal rim tyre upgrade is 215/40/17 which only introduces a -1% speedo error.
18? increases the error ratio to  -5% plus 16.5mm ride height gain hence wheel arch clearance issue.

2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

RobClubley

What I need is the same wheels in 17"x8"
Would be perfect.
1985 ur quattro

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Quote from: RobClubley on September 19, 2018, 12:00:18 PM
What I need is the same wheels in 17"x8"
Would be perfect.

Tempting!

Quote from: schattenblau on September 19, 2018, 04:25:25 PM
vredestein announced they were making new tyres in ur friendly size

http://www.classicandperformancecar.com/audi/quattro/5936/vredestein-launches-modern-classic-tyre-for-audi-quattro

I've been emailing around a few places trying to find pricing and availability in New Zealand. No luck so far.
1985 ur quattro

GLIDN

vredestein have not been available in NZ, been trying to track down for a little on 6 years now.
Short of importing them yourself? You won't have much luck I don't think.

If however you find a supplier? please share, I really would lik to give there tyre a go.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

schattenblau

snowtyres

Suggest you send an email enquiry to Longstone tyres in UK.
They show Pirelli 215 50 R 15 on their site   https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/classic-car-tyres/audi/audi-quattro.html
but you may have to ask about the new 215 50 R 15 Vredestein Sprint+

I have purchased Dunlop Racing tyres from Longstone, good service and fast delivery

McDoof

You could fit a set of Toyo R888 tyres.
Not sure they give it that period correct look though
https://nocams.co.nz/products/215-50r15-toyo-r888-race-tyre?variant=200180334601
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Aren't R888s semi-slick race tyres?

Looks like the Vredesteins are 260 Euro each, which would work out at well over $2k landed here for a set of four.
Tempted to just go 225/50R15.

Didn't have much time over the weekend and don't want to make my cracked rib worse, but I did fit a shiny new ignition coil.

I love a car parts delivery. Three deliveries is even better.
Head gasket set from MAR Motorsports, timing belt set and various bits from FCP Euro (stocking up on oil filters at 1/3 of NZ price) plus some bits from Jaycar.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Today I replaced The wiring from the ignition switch to the starter, and added a relay so there's a much shorter run of wire from the power to the starter solenoid. No start issues so far. if this doesn't fix it, there's nothing else to replace so  I'll just be push starting it all the time. :D

1985 ur quattro

le mans

You should make that photo with the clouds in the background into a poster! Fingers crossed your starting issues are resolved for good.

RobClubley

Quote from: le mans on September 30, 2018, 02:13:09 PM
You should make that photo with the clouds in the background into a poster! Fingers crossed your starting issues are resolved for good.

Yeah it came out really well for a phone pic taken in Countdown car park!
1985 ur quattro

schattenblau

top pic without the countdown sign looks great.

iphone ?

McDoof

Quote from: RobClubley on September 24, 2018, 11:24:40 AM
Aren't R888s semi-slick race tyres?

Yes they are.  8)
But they are road legal and driving the wet is overrated. Anyway, you have Quattro, and everyone knows that means you can drive in any conditions on any tyre and never lose traction.  ::)
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on September 30, 2018, 11:22:43 PM
top pic without the countdown sign looks great.

iphone ?

Taken on a Galaxy S7, followed by a little bit of tweaking in Lightroom.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Quote from: McDoof on October 01, 2018, 09:32:47 AM
Yes they are.  8)
But they are road legal and driving the wet is overrated. Anyway, you have Quattro, and everyone knows that means you can drive in any conditions on any tyre and never lose traction.  ::)

So true, quattro makes you invincible.
1985 ur quattro

Audi do

Quote from: RobClubley on September 29, 2018, 08:03:11 PM
Today I replaced The wiring from the ignition switch to the starter, and added a relay so there's a much shorter run of wire from the power to the starter solenoid. No start issues so far.
I fitted a relay to the ignition wires in mine years ago, its how I recognized it was my car when I spotted it again  ;D