Previous topic - Next topic

brian

Lucky you seem to have plenty of patience
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on March 03, 2019, 06:44:39 PM
Lucky you seem to have plenty of patience

I hope I have because...

Got the car to run for a few minutes today after tinkering with the distributor a bit. Looks like I wasted my time yesterday putting the bumpers, grille and lights back in.
I have an oil leak from the turbo feed line - the end I didn't manage to get off but I must have broken the seal. That's going to be a pain as the allen bolt is rusty and rounded. And the water pump started leaking coolant as soon as things got warm. Which is a bit of a mission to get to!
So, fluids back out again!
Bugger.

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

McDoof

Gumboot rally 2020 might be in your sights.
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Quote from: McDoof on March 04, 2019, 03:56:42 PM
Gumboot rally 2020 might be in your sights.

:D

And it gets worse...

Not 100% sure why coolant is leaking from the water pump. Have tightened the bolts a little bit in the optimistic hope that I won't have to take the whole thing out again.
The oil leak is coming from the cap screw on the turbo oil feed where the red dot is - I removed it and couldn't get the other out (green dot) so put the red one back in and fixed the problem at the other end of the line. But I must have damaged the threads in the oil filter housing because it just spins.Sigh. I somehow didn't realise when I put it in that it wasn't tight. Maybe because it's such a bugger to get to.  So it looks like the whole thing needs to come off.
Remind me again why i do this stuff? :D

Also draining the coolant didn't go as I planned.

1985 ur quattro

80 Vert

Quote from: RobClubley on March 04, 2019, 09:06:28 PM
:D

Remind me again why i do this stuff? :D

Because you are in your own words an..........Incessant car tinkerer!
You'll be right mate, one step at a time.  ;)
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

le mans

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

It's off. Had to buy a 36mm socket. The oil out of the oil cooler was very black!

1985 ur quattro

brian

Is the oil cooler bypassed?
If it is, possibly you have not had it hot enough to 'come into use' and it still contained old oil.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: brian on March 09, 2019, 04:52:04 PM
Is the oil cooler bypassed?
If it is, possibly you have not had it hot enough to 'come into use' and it still contained old oil.

Good point that's likely the case.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I did some messing with wiring too. Wired in the CB radio for Gumboot Rally

Also found some appropriate tapes. Though the Out of Sight Audio thing seems to have stopped amplifying the output from the tape deck as well as losing most of the volume on the Bluetooth connection. I think I'll remove it and write it off as an expensive mistake.

1985 ur quattro

schattenblau

hi rob,
how was the tape deck you went to pick up ?

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on March 11, 2019, 10:50:28 AM
hi rob,
how was the tape deck you went to pick up ?

Still no sound, which is why I concluded the Out of Sight Audio thing has failed me.
1985 ur quattro

80 Vert

The thermostat could also be stuck closed not allowing oil flow to cooler which is more likely
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Kohl Rod & Custom Ltd got the stripped thread sorted for me. And Coastal Fasteners Ltd sorted me some cap screws in the new size, and didn't even charge me as it was such a small amount. Great service from both companies.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Re-assembled everything, started the engine, ran it for 3-4 minutes. Oil leaking. Not sure here from. But the turbo was smoking! And the timing is not right - as soon as it gets warm the idle drops and it stalls, then it doesn't want to start. Time to admit I need help from someone who knows what they are doing.

1985 ur quattro

the phantom

Quote from: RobClubley on March 17, 2019, 03:51:12 PM
Re-assembled everything, started the engine, ran it for 3-4 minutes. Oil leaking. Not sure here from. But the turbo was smoking! And the timing is not right - as soon as it gets warm the idle drops and it stalls, then it doesn't want to start. Time to admit I need help from someone who knows what they are doing.

well, you got a hell of a long way before you needed to do that Rob, well done  8)
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

user2154

Quote from: RobClubley on March 17, 2019, 03:51:12 PM

Are you sure the smoke is from an oil leak? I had a lot of smoke from the exhaust when I reinstalled my head and turbo recently (20V engine). It was just residue oil / cleaner and / or the anti-seize that I put on the exhaust fasteners and all burnt off in about 15 minutes.

I also had the same issue you are having with the engine stalling when I dropped the revs to idle. Turns out the throttle cable was a bit tight and the idle valve and / or throttle position sensor threw a fit. After I checked and adjusted the throttle cable it came right.

Did you replace all of the turbo oil line gaskets?

RobClubley

I think the smoke is just from residue, but I do have an oil leak. Once it warms up a bit I have a drip from somewhere. I just haven't had any time to look at it for the last week or so. So much going on at home.
I re-checked all of the vac lines and connections and they look good. Nothing loose.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I've had a lot going on at home and just haven't had the time or the energy to work on poor Rusty. So I've had to admit that the daily will be going on this Gumboot Rally. It just wasn't worth trying to rush things and potentially breaking down and not making it anyway. So, next time!

1985 ur quattro