Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Rusty looks so good on track!
And in great company.
Photos by https://www.instagram.com/haydouken/
Hope he doesn't mind me lifting the shadows slightly to bring out the rear end details on Rusty!

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Out and about in Wellington.

I noticed a hissing from the footwell by the ECU - turned out the replacement braided rubber vac hose I did a couple of years ago had split at the end.
I've replaced it from the manifold with silicone hose and that fixed it. Better replace all the ones I did in the engine bay too.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Found an old-school friend in the car park.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Changed the rocker cover gasket. I wasn't sure if it was leaking or not, or if it was related to my boost issue but I had a spare and it's a quick job.
No difference to the drive.

Out at the shops.

New garage for Rusty after a house move. Not so much space around the car when parked but there is a workshop space next door for, er, activities?
Car parts and tool storage?

Morning coffee..

Still dailying the quattro after 10 weeks waiting for the Merc to be fixed. It's more practical than you might think!

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

brian

That's looking a whole lot tidier under the bonnet that when you first got the car
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

le mans

R8 coils eh.  So guess you?ve got an adaptor loom to go with them?

Audi do

RobClubley

Have ordered one of these kits...

https://kjetkillers.pl/en_US/c/audi-5cyl/45

In other news Rusty is at Wellington European.
Diagnosis so far - the brake high pressure line is leaking slightly, will be replaced, and the wastegate doesn't seem to be working correctly.
And front subframe bolts had started to loosen - the polybush metal inserts were slightly long meaning when I tightened the bolts they weren't sitting properly.
1985 ur quattro

le mans

Hey Rob, when I had boost control issues in my RS2 (when I first bought it) I had a tuning shop tell me it was likely the wastegate. It turned out to be messed up boost control plumbing, the wastegate was fine.The only other boost issue I?ve had is a leak at the inter cooler connection. Just food for thought.

RobClubley

Rusty has been at Wellington European for a couple of weeks, I dropped it off with a list, which grew slightly as they started work.
Suspension knock on full lock was caused by the subframe polybush metal inserts being slightly too long so I had torqued the bolts against the insert, not the body itself. This left play in the subframe. They're shortened now.
The high pressure line from the brake booster was slightly leaking, so that line has gone off to have a replacement made locally.
They're looking at the oil leaks now.

But the big news is that it's finally boosting as it should, no more 4k rev cut !!

It was caused by corrosion inside the wastegate making it stick, plus the banjo bolt connecting from the intake manifold was corroded, meaning it was tight but leaking and causing a vacuum leak.

I'm so excited now about driving the car again.
1985 ur quattro

le mans

Great result on the boost issue, you?ll be chomping at the bit to get into it!

RobClubley

After my first drive...

School run

Ran a few errands this morning then back to Wellington European

I'm really happy with the work so far. The suspension knock on full lock is gone, and it feels better to drive.
Boost cut issue is solved, and they've corrected the timing so it runs much more smoothly than before, and revs all the way up to 6000+It feels more responsive and sounds sublime.
The main oil leak was from the rocker cover - it was a little warped and needed persuading back into shape.

Bad news is that an hour's driving and fully warming things up highlighted a couple more oil leaks from the sump gasket and oil temp sender. It's also slightly leaking power steering fluid, which is a new feature. I have a new gasket which I'll give to WEEU to fit. Have dropped the car back to them today.

We're getting there!!
1985 ur quattro

le mans

Sweet, so just down to the last few niggles one would hope!

RobClubley

Waiting for parts...

Parts on their way today from FCP Euro in the US, Autewo.de in Germany and K-Jet Killers in Poland.
UPS, DHL and FedEx, who will win the battle of the big couriers?

FedEx is winning so far. They're in Honolulu, UPS in Warsaw, DHL in Cologne.
1985 ur quattro

albert7550

Good luck... I have been waiting for parts ex Germany (cables etc. to replace mk1 cabrio roof) since beginning of January (DHL) and still not here. Parts for my Lancia took 4 months (early November to end of Feb) ex Italy. Both orders landed in Australia in less than a week, then sat there in transit for 3+ months. Maybe just unlucky but not sure it can be just coincidence...
2014 Audi S3
1992 VW Golf mk1 GTi Cabriolet
1970 Lancia Fulvia Coupe Rallye 1.3S