Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Loving these new tail light bulbs from http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/
I should be more visible now 🙂
Of course, because old car, something?s wrong with the wiring to the right side. Brake lights work, not tail lights.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Hahahaha so funny. After 90 minutes of multimeter testing, scrabbling around the footwell, then reading wiring diagrams, it was a fuse. Yes there appears to be a fuse that serves just one tail light.
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Grr Facebook must be doing stuff to discourage using them as image hosts, as they seem to disappear or change URL after a few days.

That?ll be why my car smells of petrol after filling up! When petrol bubbles up the filler, which it does a lot, any overflow goes down a hole which I assumed went into the tank. Well no, it?s supposed to go down a vent pipe through a grommet to the road! Except on my car it goes into the boot.

DIY shopping.

Progress on finding the water leak after a drive in heavy rain. It seems to be getting in via the door seal. Dehumidifier in for now.

I?ve been meaning to do this for a long time, made a basic bracket to mount my fire extinguisher to the bolts that hold the mat in place.

1985 ur quattro

McDoof

NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

RobClubley

Yeah that was a very high sale price! Not much over 300 miles a year, seems a waste.

But it bodes well for future values.
1985 ur quattro

89 Coupe

Doesn't look like any of your images are showing Rob  :'(
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

RobClubley

Quote from: 89 Coupe on October 16, 2021, 09:32:52 PM
Doesn't look like any of your images are showing Rob  :'(

It's so frustrating ! So much for Facebook images being "Permalinks"

Everything is on the Facebook page but I need to host images elsewhere to get them to stay here. Not sure I have the patience to fix everything :D

https://www.facebook.com/ProjectRustyquattro/

1985 ur quattro

schattenblau

failbook sucks as an image host.

after all the freebie hosts disappeared i went to imgur, easy to use, many options, reliable !

;D

RobClubley

Here's a pic :D

Now can I be bothered fixing images? Will consider that one.
1985 ur quattro

schattenblau

nah, let them go unless you have many hours/days/weeks to spare

;D

RobClubley

Okay some catchup and pics

Running errands. Also,  no warning lights on the dash. First time ever.

Fitting my new oil temp sender from autewo.de - Audi Teilemarkt
Proving once again I have no idea what I?m doing 😃
I totally forgot about that internal spring.
I soon worked it out though.

What?s a better thing to receive than Audi quattro parts?
Seals and stuff from Classic Quattros in the UK

A few more little fixes. New neoprene headlight seals from Classic Quattros, the originals were perished and mouldy. Replacement for the clip on the adjuster, and I applied clear protective film to the headlights and fog lights.

You know you have an old Audi when parts say ?West Germany? on them. Also when door seals look like mine.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Lockdown retail therapy. Dashcams fitted. Great service and very fast delivery from Te Rapa Auto Electrical 2020
Wiring was really simple - live, earth and switched live. I just plumbed it into the mess already there 😃
Everything was going great until I changed the WiFi password on the camera - as recommended in the instructions - I used an @ sign in my password which it seems it can't handle well, and translates to "%40" then truncates the end of the password. It took me a while to work that out - fortunately the desktop software reads the settings and shows the password in plain text so I was able to log back in and change it to a simpler one.
We're still in lockdown so a test drive will have to wait a while but quality looks good on initial tests. The camera talks to you though, hope camera lady doesn't get into a battle with Patrizia the voice diagnostics lady.

Little drive in Rusty with my daughter.

Good news! After 59 days in transit my new door seals arrived from Germany. The quality and fit is fantastic. Hoping this fixes my water leak.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

WoF before and after

New master cylinder fitted by Wellington European
The brake fluid should now stay inside the car.

Quattro noises:
https://fb.watch/90qg0PyMwP/

School run.

Sunday driving.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Story time?
My OEM rain deflector looks a bit sorry for itself, with splits and cracks in the plastic. A few months ago I found this reproduction part in Russia, via EBay Germany. I ordered the part and after about 10 weeks it got to New Zealand, delayed by the Evergiven issue in the Suez. It got to New Zealand, then from Auckland to Porirua about 15km from me. Then NZ Post said the box was damaged and immediately returned it to sender. About 8 weeks later it got home to Russia, and though the box looked like it had been jumped on, the part inside was undamaged. So frustrating!
I messaged the seller and he wanted to refund my money rather than re-send as it was a lot of hassle. Then he checked out my Instagram and saw how much I love old Audis, and decided to make sure the part got to me. Being a handy sort of guy, he bought wood and made a custom shipping crate!
Only four weeks this time and it got to me unscathed.
The part fits really well and is 10x better quality than the original part.
Thanks to Denis from @brgarage_team for taking the time and effort to get this to me. I really appreciate it.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Leave a little rainbow everywhere you travel?.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Oh yes and - after chatting with one of the previous NZ owners I learned a couple of bits of history I didn't know. I knew the car had had a rear-end accident at some point, the boot lid isn't original, but I learned it was hit hard from the back when parked in Wellington, shortly after the red leather interior was done.

An Auckland bodyshop reckoned the roof wasn't original, and my body guy said the same. I'm not sure if this is right because the way it's fitted and welded looks like pics of other cars I've seen, but I'm no expert!

My bodyshop guy said the front was about 4mm shorter on one side than the other so it may also have had a frontal at some point. though everything fits and lines up, as well as any of these 80s cars do :D

So yeah this car has had a life!!

Oh and I got a new insurance valuation last week - the car is finally worth more than I've put into it!!
1985 ur quattro