Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Period_Correct_

How was wookies? I saw a few pics and it looked pretty cool!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RobClubley

Quote from: Period_Correct_ on May 16, 2022, 08:35:17 AM
How was wookies? I saw a few pics and it looked pretty cool!

Great weekend away. I'll do a proper post later with pics and story. Covered 750km over 3 days, mostly running well :)
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Soo the Wookies weekend!

The Christchurch and Wellington crews met at Mana BP - which was a financially painful hour or so - it took me about 30 mins to get 71 litres in - I need to look at the tank vents again. I've checked everything over but either something's still blocked or kinked, or there's a design flaw here!

And I ended up being last-minute transport for a set of 19" BBS wheels from a Golf.

Next stop Bulls, then Taihape, then Ohakune.
On the way to Taihape my speedo was playing up, only reading when pressing the accelerator, going to zero when coasting. It made keeping to the speed limit down hills a bit tricky.
I did a bit of soldering in the BP car park and it was better on the next leg but not perfect.

Bit more soldering later on and things improved, though it still occasionally read whatever it wanted occasionally

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Day 2 - the main event! Rusty ran really well.
The clutch and gear shift feel much better, handling and steering are massively improved too.
The car sounds great, and had no real issues. Patrizia started telling me "Brake system defective" but everything felt right, no actual brake issues, so I temporarily unplugged the sensor on the brake bomb to shut her up.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Day 3 - home.
All went well on the run home until about 10km away on Transmission Gully in heavy rain and spray I started having boost issues over 3000RPM.
One to investigate once I have time.
Wookies itself was awesome - just a weekend driving around, hanging out with car people, eating and drinking and just having a chill time.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Taking inspiration from Gears and Gasoline for the jobs list...

1985 ur quattro

slowmo

Such a pleasure seeing your Quattro amongst all the Golfs Rob!

Thanks for joining us again this year and the perseverance to get Rusty there!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

le mans

Nice photos Rob. Can see you really enjoy driving her!

RobClubley

Quote from: slowmo on May 22, 2022, 12:52:52 PM
Such a pleasure seeing your Quattro amongst all the Golfs Rob!

Thanks for joining us again this year and the perseverance to get Rusty there!

Thanks mate, it's a great event and always a pleasure to be there with everyone.

Quote from: le mans on May 23, 2022, 10:19:46 AM
Nice photos Rob. Can see you really enjoy driving her!

Ohh yes !

And a major breakthrough has happened - my wife has declared Rusty to be "not too smelly to ride in". :D
1985 ur quattro

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

I have solved part of the mystery of the crappy filling experience with pics from a another car.

You can see there?s a double outlet going to the vent I have plus a fat one that links back to the filler.

This is mine

Single small pipe. It makes sense that the small pipe can?t vent enough air to compensate for the fuel flow.

And my filler tube has been welded up where the connector should be.

How odd!

I know the car was hit hard from behind once when parked and had extensive repairs so maybe the tank is from a different model, or maybe some repair person did this for a reason but it?s weird.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Yay all washers working. As always it turned into a more complex job than expected. The rear washer I had to extend the pipe as it seems to have shrunk with age and wouldn?t reach the pump. The fronts were blocked, and the water smelled funky. It seems to have dried out at some point and formed smelly black slime which has blocked the squirters. Took them off and soaked them in cleaning solution overnight. Had to pull the bottle out and clean it, using bleach to make sure!
And I managed to damage the wiring to the pump so had to repair that too.
It?s never simple!

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro