Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dmax333

I really enjoy this thread! Keep up the good work!!
I had 2 back in the late 90's early 00's. They have such character but can also break your heart.....
You are certainly committed to seeing it through, enjoy the results of your hard work.

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

New brake pressure switches from Latvia

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Bah, it's never easy. That bottom one (right side on pic) was pretty grotty and leaking.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Well this wasn't much fun to do!
Ran the car until it was flashing E on the fuel gauge then did another couple of trips to the shops. Started by pumping out 5l with a hand pump, helped by my assistant. Then I loosened the pipe to the fuel filter and slowly drained the other 7 litres!
The tank is pretty corroded inside as is the fuel sender.
It's hard to tell if the tank has had a large breather removed or is a different tank. It has an internal pipe at the top but I can't see where that goes.
Sticker says. 857 201 075 M
My parts diagrams have 857 201 075 Q

My tank matches one of the diagrams, though I'm missing the gravity valve. Maybe that internal pipe is a breather that's blocked?

1985 ur quattro

80 Vert

Have it acid dipped Rob, then seal it with Por15 tank sealer. Be good as new as long as no holes appear but even Por will seal tiny pin holes.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RobClubley

Reading this...
https://forums.quattroworld.com/4000/msgs/68637.phtml
I don't think my gauze filter is blocked, assuming it's in there, because fuel flows out fast when I disconnect the pipe to the pump.

Need to watch out if I re-coat the tank inside though.
1985 ur quattro

89 Coupe

Christ  :o that tank repair from the link looks a bit hack.
Would it be less trouble to have a custom made fuel cell put in or retro fit an off the shelf fuel cell. However you'd lose some originality but at least everything would be new!

Just a different idea
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

RobClubley

Yeah very hacky! Not appealing.
Custom tank is an idea, but I imagine expensive and would need cert.
1985 ur quattro

80 Vert

The gause would get blocked by the tank sealer but in that case i'd acid dip to remove all rust and treat with Por metal ready only. Dry thoroughly and re install.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

89 Coupe

Quote from: RobClubley on June 21, 2022, 06:27:14 AM
Yeah very hacky! Not appealing.
Custom tank is an idea, but I imagine expensive and would need cert.

Expensive, hell yes. Cool, also yes. Certification, no*

"Fitting of or modification to:
Fuel system changes and modifications

LVV certification is not required provided that:

- no structural modifications have occurred to the vehicle during the installation or modification, and
- the fuel type (petrol, diesel) has not changed."

Just a quick dig through LVVTA, but feel free to do your own research :)
1991 BMW E34 535i | 1989 Nissan Skyline R32 | 1993 Nissan Skyline R33 Coupe | 1989 Audi Coupe Quattro | 1996 Audi UrS6 | 1994 BMW E34 540i Touring | 1995 Audi 80 Quattro Avant | 1993 Audi UrS4 Avant | 1999 Audi S4 | 2009 Audi S8 | 1995 Toyota Cresta JZX90

RobClubley

Dropped tank at The Surgery for some surgery
https://www.thesurgery.co.nz/

Plan is to cut a hole, remove gauze filter, treat rust and coat the inside, weld a breather elbow on the cut-out piece then repair. Another elbow on the filler and connect with fuel hose. Also there's a small leak in the weld connecting filler to tank which was covered by black silicone !!

Looks like the filler neck isn't original to that tank. I suspect it has been repaired and they've blocked or cut the internal filler vent.

In the meantime, bit of cleanup. The remaining stuff is old rust protection I don't want to scrape off. I also found a seatbelt bolt wedged in the corner!

And some new hoses that actually bend, for the fuel return and breather connection.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Some fun has been had with the tank. Firstly the filling issue. It definitely has an internal  return pipe for air. Fuel goes in through the flap, air out by the pipe above.
The square holes at the top should let air out, round hole for fuel in.
Turns out the rubber flap has gone hard and no longer moves, stopping fuel getting into the tank.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Next the bottom of the tank - the plastic end of the fuel return - which looks nothing like the parts diagrams I have - snapped off as soon as it was touched so that went in the bin. Next job was to cut the bottom and get to that old gauze filter to remove it.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Couple of little jobs done. Fixed the check lights and brakes warnings, and fitted a new heater fan. It made an annoying ticking noise on the middle setting.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

It's back and looks great!
Just need time to work on it.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

More photos from @The Surgery showing what was done - cut a hole, cut out the bottom to get to and remove the gauze filter. Clean, degrease and coat the inside with POR15 products, weld up holes, re-paint. Also they repaired a cracked weld on the filler neck where it joins to the tank.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

The offending fuel blocker flap and gauze filter.
Gave the bottom of the tank a quick spruce up with wire brush,rust converter and paint just to slow down any surface rust growth in future.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

It?s in! Haven't put fuel in yet. Filler neck isn't sitting right, must have moved during welding. Will do some adjusting.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

50L in, gauge says E. It did say 9 for a while and was counting down as I drove which was a concern. No leaks just dodgy gauge so I might be looking for one if I can?t fix it. Will pull it out and investigate.
When it had sat level for a while it read 38l which went down to 20 when driving and settled about 34.

Some longer bolts and washers got the filler neck sitting right.

1985 ur quattro