Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

Further things to check - CIS metering plate.
Fuel filter on CIS head (haven't looked for that yet, cant be hard to find :D
Makes sense to check that when I do the fuel filters and pump.

Someone suggested it on FB and I've been thinking about it for a while - is to fit a wideband O2 sensor and AFR gauge. It means removing the downpipe again though to get a sensor bung welded in.

Photo shoot pt.2

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

colingrant

You are right to check the metering plate plate. Mine was seizing after a long lay-up. I won't tell you what I did to free it but it involved wearing a blue and white striped apron! And add the air filter to your list. You've probably replaced that and a collapsed filter is highly unlikely but................. anything that could impede air flow. All said though the fuel pump is the heart of the system and the first place to start. If you like I could lend you a K-jet pressure gauge and fittings set-up, you are only over the ditch from me. Just PM me.

RobClubley

Thanks for the offer, really appreciate it. Will replace the stuff I've ordered when it arrives (mostly from Latvia, some from UK and US) and then if there's still an issue I'll absolutely take you up on it.

I hadn't even thought about the air filter!!
There's a K&N which I have cleaned about 2 years (2000 miles) ago, but I've ordered a couple of standard paper filters. Will ditch the K&N when they arrive.
1985 ur quattro

colingrant

The stop and restart cure you describe is also a description of a partially blocked fuel filter with a collapsed element. I guess you have one coming especially after the rusty tank episode. Incidentally there is no filter at the fuel distributor just the big canister filter by the rear suspension.

RobClubley

Quote from: colingrant on September 21, 2022, 08:08:57 AM
The stop and restart cure you describe is also a description of a partially blocked fuel filter with a collapsed element. I guess you have one coming especially after the rusty tank episode. Incidentally there is no filter at the fuel distributor just the big canister filter by the rear suspension.

Ah okay - I'd read that there was a small mesh filter at the metering head.
I have replacements on the way for the pre-pump and post-pump filters as well as the pump itself.
Ordered from Latvia via Ebay so will be a couple of weeks :)
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Rad fan upgrade!
I thought my fan was getting tired, turned out it was rubbing on something! But I found this from @ccc_motorsport and it looked cool so I ordered one. Much thinner and several kg lighter than the factory one. Of course Rusty fought me, one of the bolts snapped when I tried to remove it. Sigh.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Spring vibes.
Great drive today over the Remutaka hill and back, the car performed mostly well with the odd hesitation. I think that relay has helped and the fuel pump will help more.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Quick clean after yesterday?s drive. Really impressed with Autoglym trim gel, it brought up the finish beautifully on the rear Coupe strip.

1985 ur quattro

dubstar

I use the trim gel too.  It?s great, the more you use it, the less you have put on each time
"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

RobClubley

New fuel pump has arrived from Latvia, and filter from UK. This is a generic filter with 12mm connections that I bought to replace the plastic pre-pump filter. It's a bit bigger than I pictured, lol.

Out in the spring sun.

Post pump fuel filter arrived. New rotor arm looked great until I compared to the old one. It has a smaller hole! It seems I have the 83 84 distributor.
Cleaned my one up and I'll search for the Topran one same as I have.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

A few highights from Southwards Cars and coffee today.
Met another quattro owner. My car ran really well, cleaning up the dizzy rotor seems to have made a difference. I've ordered a new one.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Got the new filters and pump fitted this afternoon. As always things didn?t go totally smoothly. The filter connections were corroded and needed a bit of WD40 and effort to loosen. The filter was dated 2011! I reassembled everything, tested and fuel sprayed out of the pump. I realised I?d used the wrong crush washers so it was easily fixed.

1985 ur quattro

Pristle

schattenblau

Good catching up yesterday Rob,

My poor Megane had no mates  :(

All the best on the move

;D

RobClubley

Quote from: schattenblau on October 17, 2022, 06:20:19 PM
Good catching up yesterday Rob,

My poor Megane had no mates  :(

All the best on the move

;D

Thanks, yes good to catch up. Your car did get a yellow friend later - Camaro if I recall.

New paper air filter to replace the ancient K&N. That last clip is a bugger to get on! I ended up using two screwdrivers and a pry bar through the headlight hole. One skinned knuckle and only one dropped screw 😃

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

Touring Wellington?s op shops!
Rusty is running way better than it ever has since fitting the new fuel pump and filters. Not hesitating, not spluttering at low revs, warm starting quicker. Not threatening to stall when lifting off at low speed.
Very happy!

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

For the first time in over seven years of ownership I feel I've finally driven my urquattro properly. After repairing and changing so many parts, the final piece of the puzzle seems to have been the fuel pump and filters. It pulls hard to the red line, it doesn't stutter or miss, I can power around bends like a boss, it doesn't threaten to stall when manoeuvring at low revs, I can accelerate from low revs in the wrong gear and it just does it, no hiccups, and it sounds just damning epic.
I don't know quite how to describe the thrill it has given me today but after so many frustrations and so much time and expense, to just get in my car and drive, and enjoy the drive with no problems, not only made me grin like an idiot but actually made me kinda emotional.
It's finally time to enjoy my classic as a daily driver as much as I possibly can.
Until the next challenge :D
1985 ur quattro

Period_Correct_

Awesome! Your perseverance is 2nd to none mate. Well done! Another classic saved. 👍🏼
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26