Build thread - Rob's Audi UR Quattro

Started by RobClubley, July 22, 2015, 08:39:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GlenT

Yokohama have their 225/50/15 ADVAN A048.
They're road legal 8)
I run Bridgestone Potenza 225/50/15 GIII's but I don't think you can get that size anymore sadly, as they're a great tire.

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RobClubley

Swapped the hazards switch. Turns out I had a spare. It has been clicking the indicator relay but only when hot from the sun and with the engine running. Hoping this sorts it. The other one didn?t light the red light so it has fixed something!
Also took the opportunity to put felt tape around the dash cowl which I hope will cure some rattles.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

The issue I have with the random relay clicking when the car has been in hot sun? I tried changing the hazards switch - no joy, went to Supercheap and bought a $65 relay that didn't work - super fast flashing. Took that back, went to Repco cos I was passing this morning and bought a Narva ($45) relay that says it can cope with standard or LED bulbs (I have a mix). This one works perfectly, and is completely silent when flashing. I am going to change the front indicators back to incandescent bulbs though - have ordered some silvered ones so I don't get the fried-egg look on my white lenses. LEDs seemed like a good idea when in project mode but in reality they're just not as good.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

This has been irritating me for a little while. The hardboard had started to deteriorate with age and the metal clips didn?t grip it properly. Tried a couple of things to strengthen and glue it together and painted the inside to stabilise the material. Also re fitted the clips on the window wiper seal. Much better.

1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

New old wheels!
Back to the factory 15s. Powder coated Arctic White by Taranaki Powder coating. 205/55R15 Dunlop SP Sport FM800 tyres fitted by Tyre Torque New Plymouth.
Very happy with the results.

1985 ur quattro

portmanteau

White was only an original option for winter tyres and the correct colour if you wanted to go that way is Alpine White L90E

Was Zermatt Silver never a consideration?

Quote from: RobClubley on February 02, 2023, 01:56:37 PM
New old wheels!
Back to the factory 15s. Powder coated Arctic White by Taranaki Powder coating. 205/55R15 Dunlop SP Sport FM800 tyres fitted by Tyre Torque New Plymouth.
Very happy with the results
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

portmanteau

Hope you used TESA tape for originality ;)

Quote from: RobClubley on January 19, 2023, 09:55:41 PM
Also took the opportunity to put felt tape around the dash cowl which I hope will cure some rattles.
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

brian

Looks good to me...........I think I prefer the old wheels (meaning original), looking at pic #4 although the extra wall height is very noticeable.
Should iron out the bumps better than than the old setup.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Quote from: portmanteau on February 02, 2023, 02:39:42 PM
White was only an original option for winter tyres and the correct colour if you wanted to go that way is Alpine White L90E

Was Zermatt Silver never a consideration?

I thought about it yes, but I just can't go totally stock.

Quote from: portmanteau on February 02, 2023, 02:42:39 PM
Hope you used TESA tape for originality ;)

I did!

Quote from: brian on February 02, 2023, 02:45:36 PM
Looks good to me...........I think I prefer the old wheels (meaning original), looking at pic #4 although the extra wall height is very noticeable.
Should iron out the bumps better than than the old setup.

It feels way smoother and better ride on the quick 10 mins trip from the tyre place to work.

Going NP to Napier this weekend, Auckland next weekend if Ellerslie somehow is still happening, Gumboot Rally round the mountain run the weekend after and Wookies in the Wild Ohakune in March.
1985 ur quattro

brian

Quote from: RobClubley on February 02, 2023, 03:00:56 PM
I thought about it yes, but I just can't go totally stock.

I did!

It feels way smoother and better ride on the quick 10 mins trip from the tyre place to work.

Going NP to Napier this weekend, Auckland next weekend if Ellerslie somehow is still happening, Gumboot Rally round the mountain run the weekend after and Wookies in the Wild Ohakune in March.

That Arctic white must have been left over from when I had some wheels coated there about 15+ years ago ;D
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

dmax333

rambo_005

That looks great... I'm sure it'll ride much better.

le mans

Looks good, I've always liked the original wheels on these.

RobClubley

I can confirm three inches makes a big difference to the ride.

1985 ur quattro

slowmo

Looks amazing Rob and sounds like an amazing couple of weeks ahead for you and Rusty!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

Period_Correct_

Well done Rob. In my experience any change to a cars wheel diameter from stock usually destroys the experience.

Looking forward to learning a lot from you at Ellerslie Rob. Your Urq experience is far greater than mine!
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

GlenT

She looks so much better back on the original wheels Rob.

RobClubley

Travels!
Clocked over 140,000 miles.

I suspect the trigger part of the door handle has cracked, everything else looks good but it?s not quite pulling enough so the door is tricky to open. I have spares.

Road trip things. About 900km covered this weekend. And around 10l/100km which is impressive for an old turbo nugget.
Hoping the crack can be repaired it?s about 1cm across.
The ride is so much nicer, bridge joins no longer loosen fillings and cause buttock clenching. Noticeably more body roll which is great fun in roundabouts. Less road noise. So hot in 33 degree summer heat! Removing the sun roof panel made a huge difference to comfort levels.

1985 ur quattro