My Wolfsburg trip (image heavy)

Started by rambo_005, November 15, 2015, 11:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rambo_005

Thought I'd share some highlight photos with you all from my recent pilgrimage to Wolfsburg (via Frankfurt for the IAA motor show) where I went to see the Autostadt and Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen, both of which were amazing. It was an interesting time to be in Wolfsburg, as the diesel emission scandal broke out when I was there!

Autostadt - this is one of VW's past vanity projects, and is basically a theme park for the VW Group that is located right beside the main Wolfsbury factory and global VW Group headquarters. The park contains eight 'pavilions', basically small buildings devoted to a theme: one each for Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and one combined 'Premium Clubhouse' for Bentley and Bugatti - each contains a range of new vehicles and displays on the history and values of the brands. The park also contains the ZeitHaus Museum, which has a very interesting mixed collection of cars. There's also a customer collection centre (the caf? inside serves the famous VW Currywurst), two off-road tracks where you are able to test a Touareg, Amarok, Tiguan or Yeti with an instructor, a tour to the top of one of the twin glass car storage towers, test drives of the Golf GTE, e-Golf and e-up!, a factory tour, a canal cruise around the factory, as well as displays on environmental impact (ironic), automotive design and construction, investor information and much more in the main entrance building. The park also contains a selection of restaurants and cafes and a Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen - seemingly unadvertised, this place keeps a low profile and is a good 15-20 min walk from the center of Wolfsburg, but man does it contain an amazing collection of almost new production cars (from all eras), prototypes, concepts and more. I walked around three times - twice to see everything, then once more to take photos. There was almost no one there also!

View from accommodation window (note the cars - all VAG brands):

One of a few VW Taros I spotted while in Germany:

Golf R Variant and hatch spotted together on route to the Autostadt:

rambo_005

Autostadt:

rambo_005

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen:

rambo_005

le mans

Brilliant! Thanks for the review and photos.

slowmo

8) thanks for sharing!

Added to bucket list!
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

KARTS

So cool. Definitely need to do it myself one day.
1987 mk II ABF track weapon (Choppy Developments)
1988 mk II GTI 16v
2011 mk 6  R

Poonmobile

Awesome Cam! I'd love to go one day too. Love the TR mk3 too ;)
Current:
06 NZ B7 RS4 Avus Silver, 01 NZ B5 RS4 Avus Silver, 93 NZ VR6 Tornado Red 3dr, Renault Clio 172 & Renault Clio 197
Past:
MK2 VR6, MK5 GTI, 2 x MK5 R32, 8L S3 Imola, MK4 Golf V6 4MO, Polo GTI, 2x MK3 VR6, D2 S8, B5 S4 Avant, 03 NZ R32 Deep Blue Pearl, Renault Megane R26 liquid yello

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

nesT

Quote from: rambo_005 on November 15, 2015, 11:06:19 AM
Thought I'd share some highlight photos with you all from my recent pilgrimage to Wolfsburg (via Frankfurt for the IAA motor show) where I went to see the Autostadt and Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen, both of which were amazing. It was an interesting time to be in Wolfsburg, as the diesel emission scandal broke out when I was there!

Autostadt - this is one of VW's past vanity projects, and is basically a theme park for the VW Group that is located right beside the main Wolfsbury factory and global VW Group headquarters. The park contains eight 'pavilions', basically small buildings devoted to a theme: one each for Volkswagen, Audi, SEAT, Skoda, Lamborghini, Porsche, Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles and one combined 'Premium Clubhouse' for Bentley and Bugatti - each contains a range of new vehicles and displays on the history and values of the brands. The park also contains the ZeitHaus Museum, which has a very interesting mixed collection of cars. There's also a customer collection centre (the caf? inside serves the famous VW Currywurst), two off-road tracks where you are able to test a Touareg, Amarok, Tiguan or Yeti with an instructor, a tour to the top of one of the twin glass car storage towers, test drives of the Golf GTE, e-Golf and e-up!, a factory tour, a canal cruise around the factory, as well as displays on environmental impact (ironic), automotive design and construction, investor information and much more in the main entrance building. The park also contains a selection of restaurants and cafes and a Ritz-Carlton Hotel.

Stiftung AutoMuseum Volkswagen - seemingly unadvertised, this place keeps a low profile and is a good 15-20 min walk from the center of Wolfsburg, but man does it contain an amazing collection of almost new production cars (from all eras), prototypes, concepts and more. I walked around three times - twice to see everything, then once more to take photos. There was almost no one there also!

Is this doable in a couple days? It's on my bucket list but we're flying out of Frankfurt so chances are very low that the non-VAG mates I'm with would want a 14hr return train ride just to go see VWs with me :(

rambo_005

Quote from: nesT on November 17, 2015, 10:03:58 AM
Is this doable in a couple days? It's on my bucket list but we're flying out of Frankfurt so chances are very low that the non-VAG mates I'm with would want a 14hr return train ride just to go see VWs with me :(

I spent just over two days in Wolfsburg; ideally you need a full day at the Autostadt to cover it all without rushing. The Stiftung AutoMuseum could be a relaxed half day or so. There really isn't much more to do there in Wolfsburg, other than the Castle - I didn't get there unfortunately!

Frankfurt to Wolfsburg is only 3 hours on the ICE, you're there before you know it.

vdubdave

But don't expect Autostadt to be open on Sundays.

Bit of a bugger when that's your only day off!
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

NZDoug

My dream would be to pick up my pre ordered California at the factory, do the European GB tour then ship her home to NZ
. :)
HEY! HO! LETS GO!

rambo_005

Just revived all the images... enjoy them while it lasts :)

Audidude

Brilliant,

Great collection of classics and much other stuff, including some off the wall concepts.

Only had one day when I was there and it was piddling down all day. Missed the Stiftung, but did the tour through the Golf assembly factory - that was amazing - did you get there?
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

rambo_005

Quote from: Audidude on November 06, 2017, 04:47:25 PM
Brilliant,

Great collection of classics and much other stuff, including some off the wall concepts.

Only had one day when I was there and it was piddling down all day. Missed the Stiftung, but did the tour through the Golf assembly factory - that was amazing - did you get there?

I did, though they didn't allow any photos. It was excellent - great to see my cars' place of birth ;D