Mk1 Golf Cab - Window Seals

Started by veenewb, November 19, 2015, 12:34:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veenewb

Hey guys,

Both my front windows are leaking at the top, pretty much in the centre of the window.
I've been told this is most likely the seals and I'm best off to go on ebay to get new ones.
Problem is, my seal knowledge is pretty slim and when doing a search online so many parts show up.
I haven't got a clue what to get, I realise this is a very 'open' question, but would anyone have any suggestions what to get?
Or a recommendation for a garage that could maybe? Most say, they don't do that and I should source myself.

Any help is much appreciated, as I'm starting to have a puddle in my passenger floorspace :)

Cheers,
/ts

vdubdave

Hmmm

Cabby roofs have seven sealing rubbers, one over the windscreen and the three down each side. Then there are two different designs of seal (changed around '84). If you've got the very old one (as opposed to just old!) then you unfortunately need to replace the door seal as well to go to the later replacements and the early ones are almost impossible to find. The later ones not so hard (try mecatechnic in France).

A thorough visual inspection is a good idea - do any bits look worn, and does everything line up perfectly. Could be that your problem is that the adjustment bolt for the window (that changes the angle of the glass has come loose or fallen out of the bottom of the door)

Leaking halfway along the front - do you mean at the first join, between the front and middle sections? Or a littl further back over the B pillar?

What state are the two plastic tabs in that come down over the top of the B pillars?

Where in the country are you - if in Auckland I could have a look at the meet and greet tomorrow
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

veenewb

Hey man, thanks so much for taking the time.

Obviously I missed the meet, where was that by the way?

I can send you some photos if you're okay with that?

All looks pretty sweet, but yeah, bit clueless still.

What I mean by halfway is; if you take the exact middle of the driver's side and passenger side windows, then it leaks at two spots about 2cm either way of the middle. Does that make sense?

I'm in Glen Eden, but work in the CBD, would really like to catch up on a meet n greet. Maybe some people could point out some things that need changing?

Thanks heaps.