Auto Union DKW Owners

Started by AutoUnioNZ, December 23, 2015, 09:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoUnioNZ

Hi Guys, I'm new to this group - I was wondering if there are any Auto Union DKW owners amongst you?  I have three of them...;

1957 DKW 3=6 F93 (two door) (Just imported into NZ)

1958 DKW 3=6 F94 "Saxomat" (four door) (Resto project) (NZ New)

1959 Auto Union 1000 Standard Saloon

Cheers,

Brendan Odell

brian

Nice collection........I always had a soft spot for these after being taken for a ride in one when the salesman was trying to sell it to my father in 1960.
He didn't buy it as it was a bit over budget and they wouldn't sell him one of the Juniors which was in budget as all the cars they had were apparently spoken for back in the days when new cars were not as readily available as today.
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Mike1410

Now I know whose green 1000 it was I saw driving up the hill into Onewhero earlier this year. Pity I have now moved, would have been nice to see it close up

wilco

Nice group.
There's been a couple on Trademe recently, a red '60 and I think a yellow one.  Both pretty rough but complete with spares.

Also remember a few around the 'Naki in the '70's, recall they used same headlights as contemporary Beetles.

Welcome, good to see some older interesting stuff.

AutoUnioNZ

Thanks for the comments guys.  When the Saxomat four door is running it will be the only running car in NZ equipped with Saxomat clutch ( I believe the Auto Union 1000S Coupe at the Southward Museum in Paraparaumu is also a Saxomat - but it has not been run since the late 1970's).  It was sold NZ new at Moller Motors in New Plymouth.

Here are all the overhauled and new Saxomat parts to go into the 3=6 four door;

For those of you not familiar with Saxomat, have a read here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saxomat

Lee

Interesting indeed....from an old junior driver

There is nothing like the sound of a 3 cylinder two stoke

Glad to see this post

the phantom

a mate of mine at college ran around in one of these, rolled it at the bottom of Normandale (I think) hill in the Hutt and wore a full plaster neck brace collar for the next little while

always liked the look of these and particularly the mix of curves and square on the wagon, although I haven't seen one in the metal

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

AutoUnioNZ

Very interesting - it is a pity there are now no stationwagons left in NZ - the last one was scrapped in Mapua a few months ago;

Here what they look like in better health;

brian

I really liked the coupe model..............was a white and orange one around my area in the early 60's.
That was an off white and dullish orange, great combination
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

AutoUnioNZ

There is only one roadworthy 1000S Coupe in NZ - a lovely car owned by Dean Salter in Auckland.  These were not sold new in NZ (I think - can someone correct me?) and any that exist are private imports - although they were very,very popular in other countries - Dean's car came from Mombasa in Kenya;

Here's Dean's car at Ellerslie Concours in Auckland in February this year

the colour scheme you are talking about was indeed very attractive here is an example (not in NZ, sorry) I think that orangey colour is called "Coraline";

Lee

Hey nice...

There is a guy here in Hamilton playing with 2 1000s motors joined longitudinally ...

Engines must be getting pretty rare as well

John Stone

86 WR
04 A3
05 V50T5

AutoUnioNZ

Very interesting about the 6 cylinder Deek engine - I'd be very interested to see the one in Hamilton!  The straight six Deek motor has been done in Brazil - it looks a vicious beast!  Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdNxXwE7V_M

Lee

Will see if I can find him...

Do you know if there are any juniors still around?

AutoUnioNZ

8) 8) 8) 8)  There are several more - but here are two in I have photos of

There is this one in Hamilton;

and this one in Invercargill (I think);

Lee

Ahh the memories...thank you

Slight sidetrack from DKW's

Went from the Waikato to Auckland today and followed a NSU Ro 80 all the way

Perfect condition and and a pleasure to see such an innovation car being used...

Anybody here?

I would be interested to know if it was still a wankel

the phantom

Quote from: Lee on December 30, 2015, 09:05:11 PM
Ahh the memories...thank you

Slight sidetrack from DKW's

Went from the Waikato to Auckland today and followed a NSU Ro 80 all the way

Perfect condition and and a pleasure to see such an innovation car being used...

Anybody here?

I would be interested to know if it was still a wankel

was it a light blue RO80? if yes, it's still an NSU wankel, spoke to the owner in the Northcote shopping centre earlier this year, it had just had a respray, lovely cars, drove one in the eighties,  beautiful steering feel

Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

AutoUnioNZ

And here is another blast from the past...

The Canterbury DKW Distributor, Cashmere Garage, in Christchurch, circa 1959

AutoUnioNZ

My freshly imported '57 DKW 3=6 F93 arrived in Auckland a few days ago - very excited.  Now for the entry compliance! ;D ;D

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily