Auto Union DKW Owners

Started by AutoUnioNZ, December 23, 2015, 09:55:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brian

That does look like a nice example.
Lucky there is no EPA here otherwise you may have a compliance problem with the emmissions
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

AutoUnioNZ

:D Thanks for the comments guys - it does need a little tidying to be really nice - but it goes very well.

Here's another two photos for you all - Grahame Smith in Tauranga has just about finished the restoration of his New Zealand new 1958 DKW 3=6 F94  (F93 = 2 door, F94 = four door);

AutoUnioNZ

And here is the 1960 Auto Union 1000S Coupe in the Southward Collection at Paraparaumu (somewhat sad looking).  This car is a Saxomat equipped car to my knowledge;

These panoramic window models were considered pretty fast in their day - and quite stylish too.  As in the photo below - a full length "Golde" sunroof was also optional;

The Coupe was/is especially pretty when the rear windows were/are wound down - when these are wound down, the car can be driven at normal cruising speed (80-85 mph (yes, you read that right)) without undue drafts in the cabin;

AutoUnioNZ

Driving the panoramic window near Port Waikato (also called the "Model 60") Auto Union 1000 (I have an AU1000, not AU1000S)

In this factory photograph below of the Auto Union models for 1960, the Auto Union 1000 Standard (as the car above) can be seen at the 3 o'clock position.  There was a Coupe version of the 1000 also, seen at about the 7 o'clock  position.  These were not as popular as the 1000S, and did not sell as many cars as the 1000S;

AutoUnioNZ

Not sure if anyone is actually still reading this topic - but here is a photo from our small gathering at the 2016 Ellerslie Concours in Auckland, for those interested;

brian

Yes, I am following with interest and also noticed a couple of pics of your display in some of the photos from the show.

Lee

Yep I am a believer

Are there many convertibles left...

I seem to remember a blue one in Auckland that I think Eddie Wright owned at some point in time

Anyone?

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

Worms

Also watching, interested, but nothing usefull to add (though that doesn't always stop me!)

I like aircooled VWs too, so this is right up my alley! Keep posting, as you wish - don't hold back  8)

the phantom

me too!  I've always liked these beasties
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

le mans

I've learned a lot from this thread. Keep it up please. Any info about the convertible at Concourse this year?

AutoUnioNZ

Thanks all for your replies 8)!  Will keep posting then.... Ok about John Farmer's 1962 Auto Union 1000SP Roadster;

It is a pretty rare car - only 1640 roadsters were built in 1961-5.  Known affectionately in German as the "baby" Thunderbird ("schmalspur Thunderbird"), John's car came from Seattle in the USA in complete basket case condition.  John described the car as being completely "shagged" (not uncommon with DKW's - as they are pretty robust and reliable, people used to drive them, and drive them, and drive them with minimum maintenance until either the owner or the car dropped dead...)

John has been restoring this car for 16 years now, and is probably 95% done with the restoration.

These cars were handbuilt by Baur in Stuttgart - and were very expensive when new - DM10 750, when a VW Karmann Ghia cost DM 8750.  Their values are consequently high today.  There is no definite list of survivors of the roadster (many more of the hardtop version of the AU1000SP were produced and do survive) - I would estimate maybe 150 cars worldwide?

That said - they do stray into the market now and then - here is a nice one ;

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/auto-union/unspecified/1736485.html

here is an awful one;

https://www.classic-trader.com/au/cars/listing/dkw/1000/auto-union-1000-special-roadster/1962/34201

and a hardtop featured two days ago on "Bring a Trailer";

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/02/16/schmalspur-thunderbird-restored-1961-auto-union-1000-sp/

They were pretty cars - and Auto Union were by no means ashamed of the styling crib - and mention it openly, even today;

http://www.audi.com/corporate/en/company/history/models/auto-union-1000-sp-roadster-1964.html

They were, considering their aerodynamics and power to weight ratio, good performers in their day - and their 90mph top speed was on par with small sports cars of the era.

Auto Union also used them as a powerful marketing tool and several were featured in various films of the time, and some rallied too.  Here is a photograph from the 1962 Auto Union calendar (incidently the car in the photograph still survives too, in South Africa);

Although there were no roadsters sold new in NZ - there were at least two hardtop 1000SP's sold here - here is one, which has since crossed the ditch to Ozzie;

The remains of the second car (1000SP hard top)  are in a lock-up in Auckland - although sadly it is just a parlous collection of bits now.

There were a couple of other private imports - but these are now lost to the ravages of time...

AutoUnioNZ

Ahhhh and from Facebook someone shared a photo of one of those NZ-new 1000SP's in Christchurch in 1960;

AutoUnioNZ

And another two have arrived in New Zealand - these two, a 1960 Auto Union 1000S Coupe and a 1958 Auto Union 1000 Coupe have arrived in Nelson, from Cape Town, South Africa in January 2016 !

brian

Is there a breeding campaign?
I'm really pleased to see this

AutoUnioNZ

Mike de Vigne, who imported the two cars above, also has an immaculate NZ new 1962 1000S four door, previously from Auckland  (my apologies - the Trademe pictures are better than my own, which I took when Mike came to visit me at Auckland Airport) ;

and here when Mike came to visit - I took the 1000 to work that day;

AutoUnioNZ

Some of you may also enjoy this video of my friend Paul Markham in Australia taking his 3=6 four door out for a drive;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihCbVTqOmDM

brian

Nice potted history.
I must get out my Audi book and have a refresher on DKW

AutoUnioNZ

OK - here's another type seldomly seen in NZ - the DKW Munga - there is one confirmed one that belongs to John Farmer in Whitianga (seen here at Ellerslie Concours 2015 with Dean Salter's ex- Kenyan 1000S Coupe);

However, there is/was a second one in Christchurch (the best reference I have is from 2008 - see the link below)

(My reference is from this link; http://tanksforeverything.co.nz/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=233&theme=Choose%20a%20theme  )

Does anyone know what happened to the ChCh Munga?

AutoUnioNZ

Here is a nice example of the 1962 Auto Union 1000S two door saloon- at the Classics Museum in Hamilton (although it has what I think might be Triumph Herald hubcaps and painted bumpers) - the Coupe option was deleted for '62 in RHD cars (you could still have LHD '62 Coupe's) - so all of these '62  two doors have fixed rear windows.  I'm guessing this car would have been a private import - more than likely assembled by CDA in East London, South Africa, in the old Austin factory. The sign in the museum identifies it as a '60 - but the car is a '62 (the wider track rear axle, slat grille and escutcheon plates on the "C" pillars are  a dead giveaway).