B5 ABZ CONVERSION!!! 4.2L V8

Started by basdadd, January 06, 2016, 12:49:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basdadd

Yes I am doing it  >:D

Ok so I am unsure if this is the right thread to post in because its a Passat.

Anyways here it goes, have a 98 passat 2.8l v6 auto which has been removed from the vehicle.
I will be documenting every step of the build as i go along.

The ABZ motor i have removed is from the same year A8 and all its ecus immo keys etc to go with it.

I know the passat is not everyones cup of tea as its a rather bland car so i thought i would make it a bit more intresting, apart from that it will be a hell lot of fun to say the least.

Was going to upload some pics but they to large so will be posting a link as soon as i have done that.

So far i have removed the running gear out of the passat,
Engine trans and all auto wiring removed, currently sorting out the wiring for the immo as the factory immo sits in the passat cluster and the A8 has its standalone module.

The factory exhaust and down pipes bolt to the V8 but for obvious reasons i wont re use that.
I will need to alter the engine mounts slightly or get some made.

This build will not compromise the secondary firewall nor the 2.8 subframe however i will have to modify the sump slightly and the front radiator support.

The gearbox i will be using is from either a 1.8t quattro B5 A4 or the quattro v6 manual which from memory I think is the 01e?

Think ive missed a few other thing but will post it in time. Any questions please ask
1998 B5 Passat Avant ABZ conversion
2002 MK4 Variant

00quattro00

Just a few things to watch out for.

The gearbox you have is an 01a- not all that strong and watch out for final drive ratios as they need to match

Abz has a 10 bolt crank, for a flywheel you will need either a s8 clutch and flywheel or buy the insert for the flex plate from 034

Ecu. Because the abz was never attached to a manual box there is no coding on the ecu for manual. 034 sell a chip with manual coding on it

Immobiliser. You can buy immobiliser emulator chips from china for a few $ or try and code it to the passat immo. I have had success coding immo 1 car to immo 2 ecu but have never tried the other way
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

basdadd

I have done some research on the gearbox you are correct 01a and they can withstand a fair bit but its trial and error at this stage. Yes been on 034 looking at getting the insert or either custom fly wheel with an rs4 clutch kit.

The only lil issue i may run in is the immo coding. I will try and run the current immo wires from the cluster to the standalone module from the ABZ.

Thanks for the info
2002 MK4 Variant

B5Passat

Any updates on this amazing conversion?

nordschleife

With regard to the immo it might be easier to code it out.
VW Golf GTI - Track Car
VW Golf GTI - Road Car
BMW ///M5 - Previous Car and looking for another - F10 LCI
Octavia vRS Combi - Wife's Car
VW Golf R32 - Sold

basdadd

Well well ive been a bit slack to say the least. But four years later. Car is not running yet but the ABZ is in. Just need to wire it up and find a clutch for it. Life has been getting in the way haha. I will be posting a full run down on the conversion once im done.
2002 MK4 Variant

wilco

What flywheel did you end up using?  I have an Exedy clutch for an AAN that apparently fits the 034 flywheel insert.  Sold my ABZ with it included and clutch I found sometime later.