Amarok brake upgrade

Started by Trofeo, May 28, 2020, 07:16:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trofeo

Just wondering if anyone has upgraded the woeful brakes on their 2L amarok? There seems to be a number of kits available around the world from small 4 pot 300mm up to massive 6 pot 450mm. I've only got 18" wheels so that rules out the larger ones, but I feel even a 340mm solution could help.

I feel the brakes stop the vehicle ok under normal conditions, however descending down from skifields, and down mountain ranges ie crossing the coromandel, they get hot and are barely operable. I've had them checked by the dealer, and their comment was that they are normal. The amarok is simply under braked. I'd hate to tow an unbraked boat or tandem jetski setup.

Any words of wisdom out there?
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Filx

What stud pattern are they? Do other spec Amaroks have bigger brakes and/or any commonality with other VAG group cars of a similar era for an OEM+ type upgrade?

FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Trofeo

They're 5*120. From what I can see all amarok have the same front disc 303mm. Even the V6! However the v6 also has rear discs rather than drums.
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Filx

T6 seems had bigger brake options e.g. https://www.justkampers.com/vw-t5-and-t6-parts/braking-system/brake-discs-backing-plates-fittings/front-brake-kit-340mm-x-32-5mm-t5-and-t6-2010-2018-17-wheel.html

T6 are 5x120 as well from memory, I wonder if a T6 caliper carrier, caliper etc would bolt on to an Amarok?
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

Trofeo

Looks interesting. How would I find out if they'd fit?
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi