Need help wiring aftermarket stereo - Done!

Started by nzsims, January 18, 2016, 09:05:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nzsims

Hi there,

I've just picked up a 2008 A4 S-line, ex Japan. As such, my new ride has a double din navigation unit - All in japanese. There's no markings on it any where, but I'm lead to believe that its a Clarion J8e. I'm planning on replacing it, however I've hit a snafu, as I can't for the life of me figure out how to remove it.

I've tried using the Audi stereo removal keys, as there are four little removal tabs in there. But no luck. Is there a wider blade removal key that I'm not aware of? Do i need to disassemble the dash/glovebox to get at it? Out of ideas here.
Thanks in advance, for any help.

Simon :)

le mans

Have you got 4 removal keys? From memory you need all 4 in at the same time to unlock it. This is a clip I put together a while ago which shows a factory double DIN unit being removed from a B5: https://youtu.be/2eeiux1zUek Jump forward to 2:00mins.

nzsims

Thats for the reply - I've tried it would the four keys, but it doesn't seem to unlock anything. I think I'll try and remove the glove box next and try and see if I can eye ball the locking mechanism.

00quattro00

Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

TSANG

Quote from: nzsims on January 18, 2016, 02:00:00 PM
Thats for the reply - I've tried it would the four keys, but it doesn't seem to unlock anything. I think I'll try and remove the glove box next and try and see if I can eye ball the locking mechanism.

Hi, Do you want to sell the unit?

nzsims

Keen to sell, once the new one is in place. What are you offering?

nzsims

I managed to get the stereo extracted and was delighted to find a mess of wiring behind it. There seems to be an awful lot more cables than necessary... On the back of the Clarion HU, the speaker/power block makes sense. Although, I have no idea what the 4 black wires are under it are (canbus?). Above that, the pink and purple are a mystery. The adjacent block, is related to the iPod control, and charge/power supply. Far right is the aerial, under, that the GPS aerial, while bottom centre is the video/audio in from the iPod cable.

So what is the top green plug (pink purple wires), and the bottom grey plug (x4 black wires)?
And why is there no standard quad lock connector?

GLIDN

As you can see from your bottom photo, it goes as follows

Top plug in your hand where the purple and green wires go. will be the signal for the rear speakers and also the rear amplifier system.
Grey and white (4 point block) that's your front Left and Right speakers
Blue connector is one of your Aerials
Black and Yellow - will be power - but you need to check the voltage too just to be sure.
the red/white and red/yellow wires are your canbus/bus wires
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

nzsims

Awesome thanks so much! Appreciate the work-backwards strategy :)
So in terms of wiring an aftermarket stereo:

Top plug: Rear speakers will run as line-out on headunit - splice in power/switched power for amp
4 Block: Grey and white run off headunit directly
Blue connector: GPS aerial - delete
Dual diversity: Convert to standard aerial.
Black yellow: Use for power - Test, then find ignition/constant/ground
Can bus: Not sure... Is this used for steering wheel integration, dimming etc?

GLIDN

The canbus wires provide the traditional ACC signal.
You will need a canvas translator for radio to work like original.

As for the amp signal. In effect for the most part that is correct.
Need to check to be sure your balance is correct. As amplified Audi systems with aftermarket radios usually need to be faded to the rear. To balance the sound/volume out.

nzsims

The clarion unit already appears to have its own canbus module, and speaker level/lineout module - Do you think that i could repurpose these - Or will the canbus code be proprietary to the clarion HU?

GLIDN

you maybe able to use the canbus unit. Try the wires on there, that will be your traditional wires.
The speaker line out, honestly I cannot say. Removed them usually.

So that is purely your call to try and use it.

nzsims

Once again - Many thanks Glidn for your patience and assistance.

I'll start with using the Clarion can bus unit for ACC etc, and run the stock rear speaker wires via the HU rca line out.

If i can get this working, then i owe you a beer  :P

GLIDN

Quote from: nzsims on March 03, 2016, 03:02:24 PM
Once again - Many thanks Glidn for your patience and assistance.

I'll start with using the Clarion can bus unit for ACC etc, and run the stock rear speaker wires via the HU rca line out.

If i can get this working, then i owe you a beer  :P

your most welcome buddy.

nzsims

Success - Plugged everything in last night and its working.
Just need to change the remote power for the rear amp - When I turn off the key the HU stays on, but the rear amp/speakers power down. Must check if the aerial switched power on the HU is constant.

I really must stop working on the car in the dark...

Man, what a learning process.  >:D

nzsims

Thought I'd post another photo, just because I'm still stoked that it's all still working as intended :D

le mans

Daveb7

After a hour of trying I've run out of patience.

I've got the glovebox out and under steering wheel cover. This is to try and push from the back and maybe get a little bit of a wiggle. But it won't move a inch...

Any tips?

Can anyone recommend a car audio place in the Hutt or Wellington City...  >:(

Dondbg

It's a bit tricky - the way I took it out is  by pushing each one of them and start to whigle the HU and pull, You don't need to take the glove box or anything else.
Remember you will never be able to pull it out using those keys, those are only to release it.