How to get the VASK forum momentum cracking along again?

Started by RS ZWEI, March 17, 2016, 09:51:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nesT

The need to replicate posts across all group and sub-group pages is completely unnecessary and like Thomas said directing traffic back into the forum by one-liners on the Facebook page could be an option to get the forum back in action and to act as a one stop shop for everything under one location. Also there has been an explosion in sub-club groups forming here and there (Just Dubs, etc. etc.) so now you have to deal with multiple posts across all groups you're in (what a waste of time).

The growing number of youngsters meant the Facebook page nowadays a much more easier way to communicate as it's more instant in form of notifications and you get to share things instantly etc. etc.

Kids that are barely 20 probably don't know what a forum is and heck I don't think they'd even want to go through the process of signing up just for the sake of posting something on here.

Personally, I'd stick to the forum but happy to be redirected from the FB page to view posts. Like Anton said, it's what separates the ones who are serious about the club and the ones who are not.

But then I looked at the number of posts I've made on this forum I think I was being slightly hypocritical  ;D

brian

Quote from: nesT on March 21, 2016, 11:29:24 AM

Kids that are barely 20 probably don't know what a forum is and heck I don't think they'd even want to go through the process of signing up just for the sake of posting something on here.

Well, don't you have to sign up to farcebook, so what's the difference?
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

nesT

Quote from: brian on March 21, 2016, 11:37:55 AM
Well, don't you have to sign up to farcebook, so what's the difference?

What I meant was it's bothersome for people to sign up to the forum just to post one thing/something. Since they already have Facebook to communicate with friends etc. etc. it's much more easier for them to just ask a mate who's in the FB group to add them in to post.

RS ZWEI

Apart from organising get togethers Facebook seems to be be primarily a one way street. Its people normally wanting advise or wanting to see something but not contributing anything.

Heres a question that came in to the FB page over the week:

"Looking for a car under 8k what are the options"

Are you kidding me? Go to TM select Price range 0 - $8,000, bang!
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

Worms

HRDNTS

Not sorting the malware warning in a timely manner was the prob. Then everyone got used to easy access to the fb group where most (not all) the active members migrated so they could keep posting.

I have to admit, I barely go on the forum now as it's a bit clunky and another thing to log into. Not much happens in my car section anyways. Maybe if I had a golf like everyone else it'd be different.

Facebook ain't perfect either and posts like rs zwei mentioned below are annoying.

I guess if I wasn't on fb then I'd be really keen to get everyone back in here.
2011 B8 S4 Avant | Sprint blue

ranton-inc

Quote from: RS ZWEI on March 21, 2016, 02:39:46 PM
Apart from organising get togethers Facebook seems to be be primarily a one way street. Its people normally wanting advise or wanting to see something but not contributing anything.

Heres a question that came in to the FB page over the week:

"Looking for a car under 8k what are the options"

Are you kidding me? Go to TM select Price range 0 - $8,000, bang!

this in particular is more likely due to the youth of today requiring social validation for every action and thought they have

Lee

I've been thinking about this problem since it was first posted and I think the malware issue did a lot of damage that will take time to repair.

However to get  "cracking" the forum needs to be interesting.

For me  the long term builds are it's key interest..

Johns aka rustbucket I found really great but has not be continued for some reason

The posting about  DKW is a new development and the fact it has run over time is compelling to look out for it

Sure we can get the info from google but the fact that the info is from someone who is enthusiastic about Deeks give a lot to the forum

The technical aspect is excellent as well

my 2 c

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Lee on March 22, 2016, 08:04:48 AM
I've been thinking about this problem since it was first posted and I think the malware issue did a lot of damage that will take time to repair.

However to get  "cracking" the forum needs to be interesting.

For me  the long term builds are it's key interest..

Johns aka rustbucket I found really great but has not be continued for some reason

The posting about  DKW is a new development and the fact it has run over time is compelling to look out for it

Sure we can get the info from google but the fact that the info is from someone who is enthusiastic about Deeks give a lot to the forum

The technical aspect is excellent as well

my 2 c

Everyone seemed to be quite open about their projects which I felt gave the forum momentum. Now a number of people have "secret projects" and keep to themselves.
1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

ranton-inc

Quote from: RS ZWEI on March 22, 2016, 10:52:19 AM
Now a number of people have "secret projects" and keep to themselves.

Pretty much only because nothing really cool happens any more, so the only way to generate any surprise when all your changing is suspension and wheels is to unveil it all at one moment, that and the general populous has the attention span of a .... oh look its a cute puppy...

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

RS ZWEI

1995 Audi RS2
2005 Mini Cooper S

slowmo

Most forums seem to be struggling tbh.  :(

I always still come and visit this place at least once a day (more if there is something to reply to).

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

brian

I check several times daily to see if anything of interest has been posted
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

ranton-inc

Period_Correct_

I would love to post my 911 project on here but it's a tad tougher when you have to link the picture from an external source. Maybe I'm just lazy...
1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

dubstar

"I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying."

Period_Correct_

1971 Porsche 911T | 1990 Audi Quattro Turbo | 2003 Audi RS6 Avant | 2009 Renault Megane R26

schattenblau

Quote from: NasTnaS on March 22, 2016, 05:32:33 PM
I would love to post my 911 project on here but it's a tad tougher when you have to link the picture from an external source. Maybe I'm just lazy...

whats so hard about using  the -img- tags  ?