4.2 V8 timing chain

Started by merc_boi, March 21, 2016, 05:17:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merc_boi

Hi guys,

I'm an Audi n00b but I'm thinking of getting a 4.2 V8 station wagon specifically a: Audi Allroad 4.2 Quattro AWD 2003 with about 100K on the clock

I would get it were it not for something I read about this car, the 4.2 engine timing chain being prone to failure and needing replacement with a bunch of other stuff

how much truth is there to this?

I hear it is a VERY costly engine out job.. anybody got any ideas how much this would cost in NZ (I'm in ChCh)

Cheers

Mike

00quattro00

Yea the allroad does have the chain driven engine, sometimes its just the variators that fail, and other times its the guides, either way its engine out.

Personally id get a 4.2 a6 basically the same car but without the issues of an all road. They have a cambelt driven engine and standard coil suspension, not air bags
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

ripplz

Hmmm well unfortunately I've just purchased one before doing a lil homework about it and finding out this exact issue,but luckily enough the crowd we bought it of supplied us with a 2yr mechanical warranty witch is good as after the first week or so the linkage for reverse went so had now reverse but all sus'd now and going good 😀
A4 1.8t
S4 4.2 avant wagon 😉

moondog

Never heard of a timing chain drive failure in 5 years of following the forum on RS246. The drive should last the life of the engine, the tensioners would fail first. Saying that, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the tensioners and chain if I had the engine out for any reason.  One of the reasons I love the car, is because I dont have to have the heads off every 50k or whatever to replace belts. Have faith, its one of the best engineered performance motors ever built. Ask Mr Clarkson, he puts it in the top 3 engines ever produced.(Circa 2006)
Daytona B7 RS4 Avant

RS ZWEI

Quote from: moondog on June 30, 2016, 01:45:10 AM
Never heard of a timing chain drive failure in 5 years of following the forum on RS246. The drive should last the life of the engine, the tensioners would fail first. Saying that, I wouldn't hesitate to replace the tensioners and chain if I had the engine out for any reason.  One of the reasons I love the car, is because I dont have to have the heads off every 50k or whatever to replace belts. Have faith, its one of the best engineered performance motors ever built. Ask Mr Clarkson, he puts it in the top 3 engines ever produced.(Circa 2006)

Why would you have to take the heads off if the engine was belt driven?
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

00quattro00

Because he has no clue about what hes talking about
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

moondog

Oops. Quite right. Im not a mechanic. Hang me. Hope no ones gone pulling their heads off looking for timing belts.
Daytona B7 RS4 Avant

AudiA3

Has anyone had experience of the v8 chain replacement in NZ? If so what did you end up paying?

neil_cb125t

late to this post - I have a B6 S4 with the 4.2, purchased it with 97,000ks its now at 227,000k. Never touched the cam chain or its tensioners or guides touched. I know many have done tensioners/guides which is not a super easy job.

From what I have been told and what I have experienced is the correct spec oil is KEY the tell is a rattle on start up, 9 times out of 10 people take our beloved machines to garages who dont know about the Audi/Wv spec required oil. This is 502.00 (for the 4.2 anyway). The tensnioners are oil pressure sensitive, so a lower or incorrect grade oil ( or old sh*t oil) means the tensioners arent at the correct oil pressure during the engine start.... If you put the correct oil in and change it regularly then you'll be fine.

Oil doesnt have to be pricy to meet the grade, Shell Helix HX7 10W-40 meets it and is around $40 a bottle.

Lee

And don't forget the 8 litres of oil it needs