Karmann ghia - new toy.

Started by badhabit, May 18, 2016, 08:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badhabit

Hi all,
Have been lacking a VW in the stable for a while now so decided to rectify that with a bit of a bucket list car....type 1 karmann ghia.
She's a 1960 model with the enormous....36hp engine! Nice being such and early car. She's clean, no rust, being a CAlifornia car all its life. Completely original and has had a restoration done in the USA a few years ago before coming to NZ about 2 years ago.
She's all complied and ready for the road which is a bonus as I was looking at importing one and could have done so and got it road worthy for the $$ I paid.

Maybe a new model might have been better in terms of drivability but can be choosey when they come up

I'd forgotten what progress cars have made when I drove it. She's 56 years old and while she looks great she's a bit on the antiquated side when it comes to acceleration and braking.

What it needs:
A good detail / claybar etc.
some sorting of a few trim pieces
A healthy beating with the lowering stick!!!!
A nice set of 911 Fuchs and some disc brakes. See the bottom pic for the look I'm after.

Pick it up Friday! She'll be sharing the stable with the 964. it'll be nice to pick and choose which design icon to take out for a spin in the weeKend.  :o ;D. Ya only live once!!

After tweak session...

2007 Honda Euro
1973 Datsun 240Z - RB25det build
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

brian

Tidy looking car.
Just be careful with all that power. Certainly is amazing how things have changed since that was built..
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

RobClubley

Love these cars. Looks great.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

schattenblau

badhabit

Quote from: schattenblau on May 19, 2016, 12:46:58 AM
leave it original !
;)

Oh it will be.....mostly! 8) >:D Never like to chop things up to the point where you can't go back.
The disc kits bolt on to the old stub axle so the old drums are put aside. Drop spindles are a possibility but might just do adjustable beam...I'm sure VERT won't mind working on and old greasy beam for me... :laugh:

2007 Honda Euro
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia

80 Vert

Wonderfull, another old pile of junk  ;) ;D
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

badhabit

Well! Nothing ever goes quite like ya want it to.....
Picked it up Friday and thought I'd drive it home rather than just leave it in storage.
Brand new WOF issue the day before so assumed everything is sweet.....get 1 km down the road and come to some lights and the car comes to a halt on its own!!
Some dumb ass had nipped up the drum brakes to much so limped it to my storage place and found the left rear super hot to touch!!
Man!! I thought 36hp is slow but with a stick brake it's just ridiculous!!

The engine was idling super fast to so had a quick look and found someone had stuffed up all the accelerator linkage and idle screws!! All the knowledge I've accumulated over the years working on this interesting vehicles made fixing these things simple but realise how easy it is for people to get it wrong or pay workshop people who say they know what they are doing and don't.

Spent the day claybaring the car because the whole thing was like it had been left in a panel beaters Workshop without a cover over it, overspray everywhere!!! Just another thing to sort. She's like a babies bottom now!  8)

Big thanks to vert also for his little tweak on the idle issue. Took a quick ride to remind him of what is like to be in and OLD car. A good laugh!!!
2007 Honda Euro
1991 Porsche 911/964
1960 VW karmann ghia