Xy falcon registration issues.

Started by dave, July 13, 2016, 06:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dave

I've bought my self a 71 xy falcon, it has a old wof sticker and the plate listed on that matches  the chassis number on the car. At some point in time someone has put these plates and tags on another xy, if i go to put these plates into my name will I be the legal owner?

Alfashark

No, because registration and ownership are two separate things. 
If the owners of the other car caught on to this, you could be on very thin ice...
'14 Octavia RS TDI
'06 Fabia VRS
'93 CitiGolf 1.6

dave

My car has the proper chassis number. So the plates belong to this car. The other car has had a plate tag swap in the past. I have bill of sale etc...
So if I can't get its correct plates back how do I go about making the car legal?

McDoof

If the other car has had a Plate/Tag swap at some point, then that would imply that your car was the donor for both right? Or are there 2 cars with the same tags now?
NZ New MK5 GTI - Tuned by HSP Tuning
NZ New B6 Passat Variant 125kw TDI 4motion
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

FFS

Do you know if the other car is road legal? Or is it a wreck? What's the situation with it. It is relevant.

dave

the other cars wof has just run out, i think my car may have been a plate tag donor in the 90s,
Ive rung nzta and they just need vtnz to verify chassis number and then i go from there.

FFS

Got a stamped chassis number on it? If you haven't, then look on top of the front shock towers,- it should be on one side, parallel to the edge of the guard. If you have that, coupled with the old wof sticker (which by itself is only indicative of true identity) then you should be good to go through rereg process. You know, - stringent test for roadworthiness, get issued a vin number which then becomes your vehicle ID plate.

Main problem being your cars chassis number is assigned to another car. But that problem will be more the owner of the other cars problem, cause if you prove your car should be bearing the ID plates he's got on his car, a power of crape may well be delivered in his direction courtesy of the authorities looking to see if the car is a stolen then re-identified vehicle, and why the ID plates were swapped. Because his car will be illegally on the road, whether stolen or just having had your cars ID transferred onto it because it may've been in better condition than your car and/or de-registered, his car may well be scrutinised.  At that point, should its ID be found to belong to your car then the ID plates should be siezed by the authorities and put back to the correct vehicle (after any prosecution process is complete.) Which also means your vehicles registration hasn't lapsed, having been kept alive by the owner of the other vehicle over the years. Just a possibility it could play out that way. How you want to go about moving forward will depend upon your relationship with the owner of the other car, and whether you can prove that your car IS the car you think it is.

dave

yes its chassis number is on strut tower and matches wof sticker, fingers crossed we get life the right rego back because then it can have its original black plates hopefully.

00quattro00

And thats why you always chop up the body you took the tags from
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

McDoof

Quote from: dave on July 15, 2016, 01:42:03 PM
yes its chassis number is on strut tower and matches wof sticker, fingers crossed we get life the right rego back because then it can have its original black plates hopefully.
AFAIK you can only keep the black plates if the rego has been on hold. If it has lapsed, then you will need to get new plates.
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

dave

The rego is live on another falcon. And of the last plates it was Regd on where the black ones you can re vin on them.

00quattro00

Quote from: McDoof on July 15, 2016, 03:36:30 PM
AFAIK you can only keep the black plates if the rego has been on hold. If it has lapsed, then you will need to get new plates.

Wrong. You can keep the black plates
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

McDoof

Quote from: 00quattro00 on July 15, 2016, 07:41:55 PM
Wrong. You can keep the black plates
I've been wrong in the past and it will happen again the future.  ???
MK7 GTI - Tornado Red

Pushbutton_auto

Ahhh the falcon ....
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.