Amarok canopy and other extras

Started by Trofeo, May 25, 2016, 05:35:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trofeo

Well we've decided to get an Amarok after some time debating whether we really wanted to spend 50k on a Ute. However this will serve as a work wagon, and as the family wagon for road trips etc as lately we end up taking two cars with all the kids stuff.

Firstly I need a canopy. Any recommendations? I've looked at steeltop and arb as both have tailgate that is linked to central locking. BTW, why doesn't the Amarok tailgate have central locking?

Will also grab some running boards to help access to both the truck and the roof racks. It's currently got some little racks suitable for a surfboard etc, but will probably go rhino racks.

Overall pretty impressed with the spec and comfort of the truck. Auto lights would be about the only thing missing that I would expect in a modern car. Oh and haven't found a USB port yet. Maybe it's in the centre console? It's got the RDS510 stereo with Bluetooth and camera.
Cheers

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Audidude

I have a Beaut Utes canopy and it's great - good colour match and built strongly and good quality. Central locking a minor issue really - unless you're in and out of the rear a lot, say as a commercial traveller. I've heard the Crown ones are "not so good"

Running boards essential if you're under 6'6"!

The current models are well behind in the digital stakes and the handsfree voice recognition is great if you suffer from low blood pressure - it'll get you boiling! Worse than useless. No USB port.

But as a ute for driving every day it's the best out there - drives like a car, comfortable and roomy.

I changed the Bridgestone tyres for Coopers, which are excellent (can't remember model right now - I think Discoverer AT3?) and last forever. A 70/30 road/offroad mix.

Brilliant family wagon.
'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior

Trofeo

Will definitely look at some different tyres, and wheels for that matter, when the current tyres wear out. Has the standard 17's on it which look ridiculously small.

I like the round running boards, but the flat ones seem way more practical... Form or function...

Shame about the limited tech around the stereo etc, but I still couldn't live with the ranger's nasty interior despite what appears to be a better system.

The diesel rattle is best in class, but still nowhere near as good as the Mazda cx5. I suspect it's just sound deadening, as surely the golf/tiguan/passat etc wouldn't sound like that?

Looking forward to the long weekend, and a trip to whangamata in the Amarok!

2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Audidude

6sp 4WD or 6sp 2WD or Auto 4motion (aka Audi quattro)?

Trofeo

8spd auto 4 motion. After hearing your story of progression,I thought I'd just skip straight to the good one!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Audidude

Quote from: Trofeo on May 26, 2016, 05:20:55 PM
8spd auto 4 motion. After hearing your story of progression,I thought I'd just skip straight to the good one!
Definitely the right move. It's the only ute with permanent AWD and that's a big plus. None of the others can use AWD on tarmac. The transmission is brilliant, I think from the A8?

The new V6 will be stronger of course, but I've never felt the 2litre struggled to tow. Faster acceleration for overtaking will be about the only advantage, but it will be more expensive and thirstier

Trofeo

I hadn't actually realised the others were only 4wd off-road, as this is never mentioned in reviews, or if it is, it's glossed over.

The auto is great, and shifts well. I am struggling with the manual shifting as it's the opposite to the Mazda, and the wrong way around in my view. Forward should knock the gears down not up! The Toyota I hired in Queenstown was "wrong" too which made for an interesting decent from coronet peak.

It's due for a service soon (paid for by dealer as was part of the deal) so will get the locks changed so a single press on the remote unlocks all doors. It's a pain the double click unlock. Some versions have this programmable via the mfd but mine doesn't have the convenience option to select. Weird.

Also having a little battle re the keys with the dealer as only one remote was supplied, but I'm fairly certain the highline should have had two from factory.

Booked in for a steel top canopy and mcc running boards next week. They're a heavy duty step unlike some of the alloy ones, which I'll get the checker plate powder coated black.

loving what little kms I've done so far. The kids want to take the grey truck every time now. Thankfully my wife is happy driving it too!
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

Audidude

The single remote is standard and bloody mean! I lost mine and had to buy another at $450 😒

The manual shifting doesn't seem to have any standard, varying between makes. I only use it for braking downhill. I use the "Sport" mode quite a bit though.

gti vr6

Quote from: Audidude on May 31, 2016, 06:19:36 AM
The single remote is standard and bloody mean! I lost mine and had to buy another at $450 😒

I phoned the dealer (Farmer Auto Group) and complained about the single key fob and they sent me another one.

1986 Mk2 Scirocco
2021 T6.1 4M LWB Transporter Trendline