RS2 rebuild

Started by pixo, July 19, 2016, 09:53:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixo

Finally have some progress to report on the RS2 rebuild. Car back from the painter today. Panel beater had a good run with new panels on the rear. Bumper, reflector etc took several months to arrive. I still have to find a few smaller parts - like the small sill clips. But hopefully nothing that will stop the car getting back on the road. Generally the repair has been pretty straightforward. Definitely less complicated than first thought. But i wont count any chickens till after the car is back in the road and fully certed. Ordered a new grille mesh for front bumper which I only discovered was missing last week. That could take some time to arrive! Will update when there is more to show.

portmanteau

Good work! It never did look like as much of a repair as what some were surmising

Did you find a used bumper in Germany as I think I originally suggested?
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

RS ZWEI

1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

pixo

I tried a couple of avenues on the bumper front, eventually ended up buying new parts from Audi Tradition. Cost a bucket full. But I wanted to have a 'good as new' car at the end.

portmanteau

Quote from: pixo on July 19, 2016, 10:23:03 PM
I tried a couple of avenues on the bumper front, eventually ended up buying new parts from Audi Tradition. Cost a bucket full. But I wanted to have a 'good as new' car at the end.

Deep pockets!
'94 S2 Avant N300 Nothelle, '94 S2 Sedan '84 urq,'80 Golf GTI replica, '83 Rocco GTI, '99 TT, '07 Q7, '99 S4 Avant, '86 90Q, '63 DKW Junior, other non-VAG collectibles, & 2 lonely 200Q

pixo

The bumper/reflector and some small bits did cost a lot. But I think (or hope!) I saved a bit by buying a nice and straight donor 80 wagon with the same interior colour. I did price up complete set of panels - but when the donor came up for sale - it seemed an opportunity too good to pass up. Especially when I could use the glass and some of the boot interior panels. The panel beater did a great job of removing the required body panels from the donor (unpicking?) and installing on the RS. The roof was fine, as was most of the boot floor. Excuse my ignorance of the proper technical terms!

portmanteau

Quote from: pixo on July 19, 2016, 11:00:00 PM
The bumper/reflector and some small bits did cost a lot. But I think (or hope!) I saved a bit by buying a nice and straight donor 80 wagon with the same interior colour. I did price up complete set of panels - but when the donor came up for sale - it seemed an opportunity too good to pass up. Especially when I could use the glass and some of the boot interior panels. The panel beater did a great job of removing the required body panels from the donor (unpicking?) and installing on the RS. The roof was fine, as was most of the boot floor. Excuse my ignorance of the proper technical terms!

I had to do much the same on my S2 Nothelle to replace rear quarter which had rust from a previous bad repair in the UK

Think my total panel bill on that occasion was about $5K, but we had to go right down into the sill. The donor on that occasion was a sedan

portmanteau

more pics

rambo_005

Awesome, great to see this making a comeback. Has anything happened with the RS Blue one that was written off?

le mans

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

pixo

Here are a few pics - the car as it arrived in the back of a truck, the donor wagon minus the required panels...

pixo

And repairs showing new panels in place and finally the car just back from the painters yesterday. In case anyone was curious... (!!)

portmanteau

Donor cars for panels seem to be always the same colour!

le mans

That was very resourceful of you to get a donor car. No expert but repair looks very tidy indeed.

weta.worker

Very nice!  Well done!
1994 RS2 GUARDS RED
2001 RS4 NOGARO BLUE

pixo

Car back from panelbeaters last week. Looking great. New discs fitted tonight... hopefully back on the road in a few weeks...

spooln

And a brake upgrade!  Looking as new. :)
77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

le mans

Awesome, thanks for saving her!

le mans

I believe I saw this car today heading westbound from Moeraki (I?m holidaying in the SI at the moment). The car was looking stunning and to say I was surprised to see one on the road there is an understatement!