What percentage have problems with transmission/GB?

Started by ForzaVW, July 29, 2016, 06:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ForzaVW

Im wanting to buy a VW Golf. Parents in law live in Germany and have a mint mk4 in the garage for visitors to use and an insanely expensive BMW which I have no chance of affording.

But here in NZ it seems every second owner has a problem with their DSG gearbox below 80kkm. Would 50% be accurate or just feels that way when you talk to people? (audis being no different)

What is the deal here, is it a generic problem? How do I avoid a lemon? Buy from a dealer so protected via consumers act?

Or just skip VWs all together?

I couldnt believe the price of the repair one either, more than 1/3 the cars worth.

But the other small japanese imports just dont have the same amount of safety and comfort.

schattenblau

where you get that 50% from ?

most have no problems at all.

those that do usually shout the loudest.

reminds me of a shakespeare quote...

:laugh:

find one with a good service history and in good condition.

ForzaVW

thats true.

but i do hear a lot of transmissions needing replacement on imports. how can a car with 70k on it need a new transmission.

im not familiar with the DSG but i imagined its through thrashing it?

The Red Warrior

I thought the mk5 was the 1st to have the DSG transmission.
As far as thrashing it, some folks on here will say that that's actually better for it than babying it.
There's a few discussions about the DSG on the mk5 forum on here and loads more elsewhere on the net.
I will add this though: stay away from the 7 speed DSG that comes in the mk6 golf and others of the same ilk.

ForzaVW

thanks red, yes thats the model my friends golf has just had a transmission rebuild.

do they use the same gearboxes in the polos?

Worms

Quote from: ForzaVW on July 30, 2016, 04:46:14 PM
thats true.

but i do hear a lot of transmissions needing replacement on imports. how can a car with 70k on it need a new transmission.

im not familiar with the DSG but i imagined its through thrashing it?

Imports aren't necessarily worse - just there are FAR more imports than NZ new around.

Our 2006 Touran has the 09G transmission (auto, not DSG) with the 2.0 FSI, and it had to have the valve body replaced at not too much over 100K kms.  It's also NZ new. There are issues, though they are amplified by the internet.

There are lots of auto transmissions that have issues, and some cars more than others - the transmissions are often made by transmission companies, and not the car manufacturer, so often the same trans can end up in different brands, or models.

At the end of the day, you'll have to research, pick what you're comfortable with, and go with it. ANYTHING you buy may end up with a big repair bill, any time!