Aquired 2001 Golf TDi....what to look for?

Started by beaver, August 11, 2016, 12:13:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beaver

Hi all,

I have aquired a 2001 Golf TDi from family. On paper and after a few drives I consider it an upgrade from the 1996 Peugeot 306 we curenly have.

Before jumping the gun and commiting to keeping it and selling the 306, are the any things in particular I should look our for/check?

My observations so far:

• cambelt needs doing (stickers suggets it was last done at 95000, car has done 210000. Will call the last service palce to check (family used the same place for the time of ownership, which was from near new)
  • slight shudder/wobble in steering and some speeds. Barely noticible but its there
  • glovebox lid is brocken (seems ot be acommon fault)
  • Appears solid and drives well, motor pulls strongly (some smoke under full beans)

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

vdubdave

Auto or Manual
Auto gearboxes often have solenoid failures and go to limp home mode...... Fixable but involved.. Brand new parts can be expensive for the gbox
Then open the front door and check that the red/white light in the door comes on....
Or unlock using remote and open drivers door - doors should not re-lock

These are two faults that mean the door lock modules have cracked solder joints. More annoying than anything.
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

spooln

77 CS1 Fiat Spider. 78 Mk1 Scirocco. 83 Mk1 GTI. 12 Abarth 595C Competizione. 18 Golf R. 20 Kodiaq vRS

beaver

the phantom

steering shudder could be wear in the inner CV joints, particularly if speed related
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

beaver

Quick update. got the cambelt and water pump done. Got the garage to have a look at the front end shudder while it was in (Powerhaus in Wellington) and they commented that the front wheels (steel wheels) werent perfectly straight and the tyres had a bit of run out.

So hit up trademe and scored a set of mk4 golf alloys with near new tyres for a bargin. Chucked them on and voila! Shudder be gone. Drives like a new car.

Now, who wants to buy a Peugot....