flip key replacement

Started by slowburn, August 16, 2016, 06:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slowburn

so my mate matt sent me an email at work today.....

Takas,

You know cars...  I am looking for a suggestion.

If you don't know, no worries.

OK, I have a 1999 VW Golf (I'm sure it is a Japanese Import).

According to this, it is a "Mark IV":

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk4

The flip-out key/remote for it works 100% fine, however, I dropped it, and broke the little hole that a key chain would attach to.  There are only two buttons on it (lock and unlock).

I want to buy a new plastic shell (or partial plastic shell) for the key, so that I can get a hole for my key ring back.

It doesn't quite look like this, but it's close:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Button-Flip-Remote-Key-Fob-Case-Shell-Fit-For-VW-Volkswagen-Golf-MK4-Bora-/162036778371?fits=Model%3AGolf

Based on anything you are aware of, is this an easy swap?  Require reprogramming? 

I'm trying to avoid VW charging me $200 to "fix" it.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Matt

does anyone have a line on a key fob shell that we can swap the guts into...sounds easy enough? or am i being special?

99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

davestokes

I had a good experience with Beveridge Locksmiths getting a spare for mine. I would give them a shout

the phantom

at the risk of being misunderstood, you can get the cases on TradeMe, the key blade is held in place by a roll pin, easily replaced, from memory the transponder is in the key blade end, glued into a pocket, carefully prise it out and glue it into the new case

see here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2293184
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

00quattro00

Ask manport, hes the pro on mk4 keys
Land Rover Discovery 300tdi
Land Rover 110 4bd1t

slowburn

manport? member? I'll look him up in the directory...
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

slowburn

nah,no manport in the members list,do you have a number for him please?
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

the phantom

ignore him, he's just stirring

slowburn

ok,just trying to help a mate...not even my problem...
99 B5 S4 Avant
85 coupe quattro
72 fiat 124 coupe
97 corolla wagon

the phantom

this is what you want, just the bottom half as they say http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/volkswagen/auction-1143987796.htm

follow these instructions and might as well put in a new battery at the same time http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?2124048

faulty

Hi Guys,  have this problem and looked on trademe for a key, apparently early GTI's 99 dont have a transponder, in fact my "Valet" key that came with mine is just the std key with the little led in it. i was wondering if anyone know how to get the keyless entry working again.

i guess the idea is to buy a 2 button complete key and get it recoded by someone using VAG software, but can someone point me in the right direction in and around Auckland?

thanks in advance.
1988 Mk1 Caddy Sport 1.8
1999 Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T
2005 Mk5 Golf GT 2.0FSI

GLIDN

Quote from: faulty on January 23, 2017, 09:22:59 AM
Hi Guys,  have this problem and looked on trademe for a key, apparently early GTI's 99 dont have a transponder, in fact my "Valet" key that came with mine is just the std key with the little led in it. i was wondering if anyone know how to get the keyless entry working again.

i guess the idea is to buy a 2 button complete key and get it recoded by someone using VAG software, but can someone point me in the right direction in and around Auckland?

thanks in advance.

All keys from 1998 onwards had transponder. Including the valet keys also.
Your car however I don't believe can upgrade to the flip key. Unless you swap out the CCM, ignition barrel and door locks with keys.
Then lastly having to recode the whole lot also.

I have also done the above for a few members and a few other features. Some do not have enabled from factory.

Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

monk

I bought new keys for my MK5 off www.aliexpress.com
That's where the sellers get them from.

Try that for the mk4. They were $3.50 shipped.

faulty

I just got quoted $400 from Ace Lock in Remuera to complete the whole process for me. this is with new key fob, new immobiliser and new key blank cut.

A parts wrecker in AKL quoted me $25 for a 2 button working key and i bought a key shell and key blank off TM for $15. so now it's just to find someone who can cut me a new key blank and i am sorted.

i want keyless entry but i don't wanna pay $400 for it, i think this is a rip off. Y-Tube shows guys re programming second hand ones by turning key in lock with ignition on for 10 seconds, so we will see about that.
1988 Mk1 Caddy Sport 1.8
1999 Mk4 Golf GTI 1.8T
2005 Mk5 Golf GT 2.0FSI