Window Regulator Repair

Started by RobClubley, August 30, 2016, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobClubley

The quattro's passenger side window regulator isn't working.
Because it's busted. The cable is chewed up and the plastic cable (on the top in pic 1) has snapped and is jamming the mechanism.

Is there likely to be anyone locally who could repair it? I could give it a crack myself I guess :)

They're like rocking horse poo these days. There's a refurbished alternative one on Ebay which would work out about $300 delivered.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301824746907?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I do have a spare driver's one which doesn't work either but the guides are okay. Maybe I can make a good one from the two with some new wire...
Otherwise they're all fairly similar, maybe I could get a more modern one and use everything but the guide and the bit that bolts to the window.
1985 ur quattro
1992 Ford Courier - the sensible daily

HaNs

Go to a rigging shop and they should be able to do it or supply the wire

brian

Ohhh,  that reminds me of my time spent wrestling with Lotus cable operated window winders.
A memory that was better left undisturbed in the inner recesses of my mind
Škoda Fabia 1.0 TSI Race Blue

Trofeo

Quote from: HaNs on August 30, 2016, 02:11:08 PM
Go to a rigging shop and they should be able to do it or supply the wire
agreed! I used to do this with my abarth clutch cable. Didn't last as long as the wire rope wasn't as flexible as the oem, but it cost $20 rather than $250
2015 Amarok 4WD auto
2018 Golf R-Line Tsi

black16v

That looks similar to mk2 golf. I tried to repair mine on my mk2. Couldn't get the correct gauge of wire. Used crimps from fishing shop (used on marlin tracers) but couldn't get a crimp tool to do hexagonal crimps. There is also a crimp about the mid point of the cable.  Flat crimps would turn and pull out of their recesses. I gave up and brought an aftermarket regulator from VW HERITAGE. But should have brought it complete with motor as the OE motor did not fit, SO made one out of two. (That wasn't fun) Maybe a mk2 regulator could be pulled apart to get the cable and fingers crossed it's the same length .
1988 MK II GTI 16V

Gordo

Other options are motorcycle and push bike shops as they may have the correct guage cable and crimping tools?
When you do a search, use 'control cables'.
These are my thoughts and opinions - sometimes I'm wrong, but not often ;-)

the phantom

Quote from: Gordo on September 18, 2016, 12:10:26 AM
Other options are motorcycle and push bike shops as they may have the correct guage cable and crimping tools?
When you do a search, use 'control cables'.

forget bicycle shops, those cables are much thicker than anything on a bike
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

RobClubley

Old vs. new window regulators. The new one bolts straight in but the holes to bolt the window to the new one are not in the same place. Some modification required.

1985 ur quattro

Pushbutton_auto

Yeah if you get stuck again, got a few 100-200 window regulators under the house.

Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

RobClubley

Quote from: Pushbutton_auto on October 21, 2016, 12:01:59 AM
Yeah if you get stuck again, got a few 100-200 window regulators under the house.

The aftermarket one was rubbish - just didn't fit properly. Are the 100/200 ones the same as the ur?
1985 ur quattro

Pushbutton_auto

Its probably the early 100,

but check the numbers and let me know the dimensions of it.   
Beating up parking wardens ain't a crime.

RobClubley

I think I've found one - via a Facebook quattro group.
Bloke contacted me this morning :)
1985 ur quattro

RobClubley

1985 ur quattro