Importing a Mk4 r32 into New Zealand

Started by FraserNZ, September 14, 2016, 09:57:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FraserNZ

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at the option of importing a R32 from Japan. Just wondering if any of you have had experience brining in this model vehicle into New Zealand? I understand that MK4 R32's do not meet the Japanese emission requirements. However do meet the Euro 4 emission requirements so can be brought into NZ as a European import even thought the vehicle is coming ex Japan.

Also see on Trademe that there are quite a few for sale at the moment still in transit from Japan via Dealers. When I approach compliance certifiers they advice that they have never seen something being brought into NZ that is that old.

Any pointers would be much appreciated!

Cheers,
Fraser

Filx

Need to be very careful around clarifying the Euro 4 thing or not. The risk of ending up with a non compliable car far outweighs the potential savings.

But the thing to consider (I think) is whether it's worth it even if you can comply one. Mk4 R32 5 doors from Japan are pretty cheap locally - by the time you buy one in Japan, pay the fees, ship it, fix any issues, do strut top mounts and brakes (almost inevitable work you need to do for compliance), comply it, rego it etc - how much will you really save versus a local market car? And is that saving worthwhile versus going and looking at one in person so you have eyeballed the car? The Japanese auction grading process is very good but nothing beats seeing the car in person and having a drive of it.
FAIL - First Attempt In Learning

ranton-inc

That and Mk4 R32s are a complete yawnfest... unless they are turbo'd

FraserNZ

Quote from: Filx on September 14, 2016, 10:52:11 AM
Need to be very careful around clarifying the Euro 4 thing or not. The risk of ending up with a non compliable car far outweighs the potential savings.

But the thing to consider (I think) is whether it's worth it even if you can comply one. Mk4 R32 5 doors from Japan are pretty cheap locally - by the time you buy one in Japan, pay the fees, ship it, fix any issues, do strut top mounts and brakes (almost inevitable work you need to do for compliance), comply it, rego it etc - how much will you really save versus a local market car? And is that saving worthwhile versus going and looking at one in person so you have eyeballed the car? The Japanese auction grading process is very good but nothing beats seeing the car in person and having a drive of it.

Yes, I hear you on the Euro 4 calcification point. But obviously it's very possibly given the amount dealers are still bringing in. So just need to confirm how this is done during the certification process.

I've run the sums and for the amount I could potentially save its worth the risk. You can also pick up something with considerable less KM's need something with sub 100kms.

Cheers,
Fraser

FraserNZ

Quote from: ranton-inc on September 14, 2016, 11:02:34 AM
That and Mk4 R32s are a complete yawnfest... unless they are turbo'd

Hahaha thanks for the input, and I hear you... In my mind the Mk4 R32 is a classic always wanted one... since they came out.

slowmo

Quote from: FraserNZ on September 14, 2016, 12:11:41 PM
Hahaha thanks for the input, and I hear you... In my mind the Mk4 R32 is a classic always wanted one... since they came out.

IMO, it has got to be a 3 door though. :D
Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

ranton-inc

Quote from: FraserNZ on September 14, 2016, 12:11:41 PM

Yeah,

I think they sound amazing and look great. But I didn't have mine for long..   :laugh:

schattenblau

^^^ above

a mk5 gti would run rings around one

but the vr6 sounds great

and they have a tape deck

:laugh:

slowmo

Current: 2004 MK4 R32 3-door NZ New DBP

Past: 2010 MK6 GTI / 2013 Nissan Leaf LOL / 2007 B7 RS4 / 2006 MK5 R32 / 2005 MK5 GTI / 1998 MK4 GTI / 1997 B5 A4 MTM

The Red Warrior

Quote from: slowmo on September 14, 2016, 02:31:27 PM
saw this somewhere

Haha. I saw that a couple days ago too, except it was driving past R32 in your GTI.

RS ZWEI

Quote from: Filx on September 14, 2016, 10:52:11 AM

This.
Phil is right. Fraser, if you are going to import one budget on brakes. Have you got a price on them? I bet it would be rather eye watering.
I've been looking to import a BMW for my lady, the sums vs the risk of the spend isn't worth it.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8

FraserNZ

Quote from: slowmo on September 14, 2016, 02:31:27 PM
saw this somewhere

Haha gold!! and I think this photo sums up my position well. I'll be coming from a late model Audi B8 S4, which would run rings around it performance wise. That R32 sound, manual box, a well bit of prestige is what its about. I'm a little wiser now, its not always best to finish first  ;)

I did consider the Golf R also, but my thoughts above...

FraserNZ

Quote from: RS ZWEI on September 14, 2016, 06:19:41 PM
This.
Phil is right. Fraser, if you are going to import one budget on brakes. Have you got a price on them? I bet it would be rather eye watering.
I've been looking to import a BMW for my lady, the sums vs the risk of the spend isn't worth it.

Yes I did take Phil's comments on board. (Thanks Phil)

But I'm looking for a low mileage R32 can't see any on Trademe at the moment. Looking to move quickly, even factoring in brake discs and pads ($500 and $60 respectively) and a little more... I should be ok

schattenblau

even a juc r32 deserves better than $60 pads.

:laugh:

FraserNZ

80 Vert

Mk4 R32 is expensive in japan by comparison especially low km ones.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

RS ZWEI

Recent Japanese M4 R32 sales stats:

Work out your sums from here.
1980 VW Golf GTI Track Car
1995 Audi RS2
2003 Mini Cooper S (Written off - rear ended)
2005 Mini Cooper S
2006 Skoda Octavia vRS Combi
2009 Renault Megane 230 R26 (Written off - rear ended)
2013 Renault Megane RS265 Redbull RB8