Bump/misfire when accelerating

Started by Lemieux_66, September 19, 2016, 01:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemieux_66

hi all,

I've got the 1.4 TSI MKV Golf with 6 speed DSG.    I've recently moved out into the wops and have been doing 100+ KM's a day for the past 2 months and a week or so ago I noticed a bump/misfire when accelerating out a corner or on the motorway or coming out of a corner .

If I accelerate smoothly and slooowly its fine, If I drop it to S mode or revs go above 3k it's fine.

Issue seems to be when cruising or holding speed and then trying to accelerate (not even a hard acceleration)  eg: holding 80kms down the motorway at 1.5-2k revs and then go to accelerate to 100.  When it accelerates it starts to bang or misfire once or twice and the rev dial drops one notch then continues. I then let off the accelerator and very slowly accelerate and once the revs get above 2.5k its fine.   I can also get around this by dropping it to S or maual mode and dropping it down a gear so the revs are higher

Any ideas what it might be?    Its now done 150km's so I was going to get a service done, just not sure if I should go to a DSG place first or get the service done

Everything else about the car seems fine, it reverses fine, starts fine , and drives fine except for this one issue, gets kind of frustrating when accelerating out of a corner and it can misfire 4/5 times or until I drop it down or let off.

there is no CEL or engine lights that comes on at all during this.

Also I work in St Lukes/Morningside in Auckland anywhere you guys could recommend to do the service? I assume 150KM is a pretty big one.

Lemieux_66

Update : Got the full service done at Qualitat and they scanned it and found a misfire on cylinder 3.   They replaced the coil pack and she's good as new.

Will probably replace the other 3 soon just to be on the safe side.

The guy even dropped me back at work 15-20 min drive from the workshop when I dropped my car in, so A+ from me.

VWElf

I've had exactly the same problem on my 2.0 TSI with DSG. Interestingly, it has just recently been serviced, including the DSG servicing, at Tristram European but they did not report finding anything. I assume they plug the car in to some sort of diagnostic machine as a matter of course when carrying out a servicing, don't they?

I wonder if I can just get the car checked out somewhere else - anyone got any recommendations?

GLIDN

I would be inclined to inspect your spark plugs to insure they are not white. If they are? the car is running too lean.
Try better fuel BP 98 etc. Try again.

Then look into coil packs. Failing that it's going to be a bigger issue.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

VWElf

I've been running on 95 or 98 the whole time. I read about the coil pack thing elsewhere so have some on the way. When misfiring before, the CEL was flashing. Today, the CEL has come on and stayed on. Will it go away when I change the coil packs? Not had chance to look at the plugs yet. Thanks for the advice.

80 Vert

Most probably a coil, results in flashing check engine light as you have.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

VWElf

Coil Packs changed and the misfire appears to have stopped  :D The engine light is still on so can anyone advise how to get it turned off? I have read a lot about VAG Com on here and on the rest of the internet but I haven't found any really basic information, it all dives into loads of detail. I am assuming that if you have the software and at the correct connector, you can interrogate the car and reset the logs of the failures. I also assume that the CEL is on solid as the misfire has been logged so many times.

Can anyone help/advise me?

Thanks.

JPK

Get it reset at a garage. It should also work if you disconnect the negative battery terminal for 15mins but you will have to reset the clock etc.

Where are you based?
A3 8P Sportback 2.0T DSG
- Progress Diary -

VWElf

I'm in Auckland region, near Helensville

VWElf

Team,

I have had many offers of help and the car is now sorted thanks to The Red Warrior and his VAG Com kit.  :D