Nav and Radio jap to nz

Started by Padman07, September 28, 2016, 01:47:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Padman07

Hi guys,

I just bought an 2013 audi A4 and i wanted to know where i can get my radio and nav changed from jap to nz for cheap. I have looked at autogravity and another shop and both of them are quoting $700+.

Could you guys help me out.

coleadve

I thought anything from a B8 onwards was really difficult (read as expensive), as it had a distributed model - not just a simple double DIN unit like a B7. 

Is that replacing the unit, as I would have expected it to be in the $2000 mark.

Padman07

I don't want to replace the unit, just change the software settings so I can get NZ radio and nav.

GLIDN

have a chat with steveS4. He has a 2011/12 S4, which he got stuff converted.
From memory thou, there are parts that needed to swapped out.

Forget the idea that you don't need to swap things out. If you had a car imported from just about any country other than Japan. Usually software can be replaced or upgraded.
Japanese units usually cannot.

Case and point RNS510 from Japan, is basically a paper weight for NZ functions, other than Bluetooth or aerial adaptors.
To get NAV and all those other good things, it needs to be replaced with a European version of the RNS510.

But like mentioned, have a chat with Steve. He could point you in the possible right direction.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

coleadve

Quote from: GLIDN on September 29, 2016, 10:57:28 AM
have a chat with steveS4. He has a 2011/12 S4, which he got stuff converted.
From memory thou, there are parts that needed to swapped out.

Forget the idea that you don't need to swap things out. If you had a car imported from just about any country other than Japan. Usually software can be replaced or upgraded.
Japanese units usually cannot.

Case and point RNS510 from Japan, is basically a paper weight for NZ functions, other than Bluetooth or aerial adaptors.
To get NAV and all those other good things, it needs to be replaced with a European version of the RNS510.

But like mentioned, have a chat with Steve. He could point you in the possible right direction.

Yeah I thought I'd heard this as well.  Japan are special they seem to ignore all the rules and enforce their own units, which don't work anywhere else. 

HRDNTS

Hey mate.

I've got a 2011 S4 with the B&O system (nav etc).
I had mine setup for NZ by Eurosurgeon.

Didn't have to change any units over. Also added voice control for free.

But from memory it was still bloody expensive - $800+ or something. This was 1-2 years ago.

Also, the radio reception is a bit crap. Said its something weird with the avant aerial setup and only real way to fix it was to fork out another $400 for a replacement radio.

Probably better to just get a new high end aftermarket unit TBH.
2011 B8 S4 Avant | Sprint blue

coleadve

Quote from: HRDNTS on September 29, 2016, 12:46:33 PM
Hey mate.

I've got a 2011 S4 with the B&O system (nav etc).
I had mine setup for NZ by Eurosurgeon.

Didn't have to change any units over. Also added voice control for free.

But from memory it was still bloody expensive - $800+ or something. This was 1-2 years ago.

Also, the radio reception is a bit s**t. Said its something weird with the avant aerial setup and only real way to fix it was to fork out another $400 for a replacement radio.

Probably better to just get a new high end aftermarket unit TBH.

You can't go after market with these can you?  The radio is split up into all sort of different bits.  Not like a B7 and before.

HRDNTS

HRDNTS

http://www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/audi-a4-a55141/x701d-a4r

But - if you have nav already then it wont work unfortunately.
Kind of wish mine didnt so I could have just got this setup!

coleadve

Found the model listed here: http://autosound.co.nz/product/detail/audi-a4-a5  but no price.

Pity it doesn't have Carplay or android auto.

Padman07

I found a video on YouTube that the guy mirrors his phone onto the screen.I'll try that and use google maps from my phone.

byront8

Hi

It's possible, but time consuming. I'm currently in the process of replacing my 2g mmi with a 3G+ version, as well as the A5 cluster,black surround and facelift gearknob. Mines a 2010 A4.

The MMI may just need a software update, the radio on the 3G might be able to be changed to register the ROW spec for FM banding. Failing that the radio has to be replaced, and component protection removed (I have a guy in Poland with an Audi link) can get it done via VAS over the Internet.

If you are coming this weekend to get the hidden menu looked at, we can discuss options the . I also have a set of cruise control stalks that can be installed and setup if you want to discuss this also.

coleadve

Ah, I asked a local car stereo crowd (Autosound.co.nz) about the alpine B8 radio replacement: www.alpine.co.uk/p/Products/audi-a4-a55141/x701d-a4r

They came back with $5200 as a price. 

byront8

You can buy a 4G0035053 (or an 056, 061, 082, depending on your current needs) radio unit for around $350 if you are lucky on eBay.....that deals with getting the radio up to the right FM banding.

That puts the system into component protection and requires a connection to Ingolstadt via ODIS to ensure the new radio isn't stolen. This is either $500 from Autogravity, $400 from Euro Surgeons, $219+GST from Giltrap, or I guy i know in Poland for $150 who has a genuine connection to Audi - using a VAS5054a unit over the internet - takes 40 minutes.

MMI firmware shouldn't be too hard to source, the activator is all over the internet.

Audi has 2016 maps for the 3g still and can be either sourced or bought from Audi for fairly cheap. 

EDIT: I have a copy of the firmware that takes you up to K0257_5_d1 (latest) and copy of the maps will be coming from Italy.
EDIT2: Maps ready on SD card, with activator - Aus/NZ 2016 - 3g MMI only, i have the 2015 2g MMI DVD if anyone needs it.

Silstarnz

Hi are you able to supply a link to the software or where you got it from.

byront8

Quote from: Silstarnz on July 22, 2017, 09:41:04 AM
Hi are you able to supply a link to the software or where you got it from.

For maps? Or firmware? Which version of MMI do you have?

2G is a new DVD
3G is a SD card and the files are over 20gb in size
3G+ presents its own problems, some units are Japanese made and if you update the map or firmware - you will brick the machine ($3k to buy a new one), typically i keep a unit spare for people to put into their cars and i take their unit and prepare it for the next person (like a core swap).

tonyng

Hi guys,

I recently bought a Jap import 2008 A4 3.2 - I had a look online and check against the MMI and looks like I have the 2G version.

The center console shows that it has TEL but when I press it it said "phone not connected properly" - and there's also a cord in the hand rest - does this mean it is not bluetooth capable? Also do you know where I can get a software update to the latest version?

Thanks for the help

byront8

Quote from: tonyng on August 29, 2017, 11:14:56 PM
Hi guys,

I recently bought a Jap import 2008 A4 3.2 - I had a look online and check against the MMI and looks like I have the 2G version.

The center console shows that it has TEL but when I press it it said "phone not connected properly" - and there's also a cord in the hand rest - does this mean it is not bluetooth capable? Also do you know where I can get a software update to the latest version?

Thanks for the help

2G telephone prep like that requires the Audi phone to be installed in the centre console, you probably don't have the bluetooth module.

If you try to just upgrade the Jap MMI control head, you will brick the unit - it works in a totally different way to the US/ROW versions. They only way to convert properly from Jap to NZ is;
Change radio unit from Jap to EU
Change Nav unit from Jap to EU and use new Aus/NZ maps DVD
Change MMI control head from Jap to NZ
Use firmware discs to get you to the new version
Component protection removal via VAS5054 and someone connect to the GEKO server in Ingolstadt

I can help you find these parts and i also do conversions, but i am based in CHCH, only fly to AKL once a month or so. Typically charge $500 for the whole thing, parts can be sourced from eBay for $200.

PM me if you want any more info

wez130

Hi byront8, do you do other systems, like the RNS510 out of a 2010 Passat CC?

Thanks

byront8

Quote from: wez130 on October 14, 2017, 09:16:51 AM
Hi byront8, do you do other systems, like the RNS510 out of a 2010 Passat CC?

Thanks

JAP Hardware is very different to EU/ROW hardware. Best bet is to source an EU RNS510 and implant this into your car.

From what i remember from installing these in the UK, there is no component protection on these units.

This is your best bet: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volkswagen-RNS-510-DYNAUDIO-/282693292034?epid=79599571&hash=item41d1d55002:g:jJkAAOSwmhJZrlpg