Mk1 Cabby hood

Started by bugn8r, October 23, 2016, 07:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugn8r

Was looking at buying a hood then having it fitted by someone. Has anyone had this done? Recommendations on places and ideas of cost?

Cheers

vdubdave

I bought a vinyl one about 8 years ago from mt manufacturing in the us. I fitted it myself without too much drama.

It lasted well but now needs replaced again. I'm looking at getting a mohair one this time. We could join together to reduce the freight and GST hit....
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

bugn8r

Sounds good mate. Still weighing up wether or not I'm going to keep the car or wreck it so will let you know!

Mitch

Ive cleared a space for it already

bugn8r

Don't get too excited, think I'm going to save it now!

sifty

We did one, cost about $1500 all up to buy and have it fitted professionally.

bugn8r

Thanks man. Depending on the condition of the car, haven't been over it properly yet, I'm going to have a go at doing it myself!

sifty

From what I recall, half the cost was buying the roof and the other half fitting it.

vdubdave

Sounds about right.
One of the key things though is to check that the window frame hasn't rusted out.

Also worth deciding if you're going to replace the headliner and padding at the same time

bugn8r

The hoods themselves can be landed for $300 (lowest quality too I'm sure) but adding the headlining is another 100 US which I'd need. Frame looked good from what I can remember although need to properly inspect. Sorry mate will pass on the mohair hood, I'm poor is all.

Mitch

Theres a guy somewhere in the world that makes a stainless rear window surround. Pretty sure Sifty told me where but i cant remeber where.... Crazyquiffs maybe?

bugn8r

Lets hope mines not rooted!

vdubdave

Tis CrazyQuiff (aka Richard).
I'm about to order one in stainless from him