Right front brake at 25%

Started by ludez, November 23, 2016, 11:54:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludez

Hey guys just failed a wof on right front brakes at 25%. Car has been sitting a few months, what should I be looking at to fix this? Stuck piston/caliper? Any tricks to free them up?

vdubdave

Sadly that's a strip and rebuild.
Good news is that it's the front (the rears take much longer due to the handbrake mechanism)

I'd advise getting a replacement seal kit then take it off and take it apart. The easiest way I've found (although someone may have a better way)?would be to take the caliper and carrier off completely (2 bolts and a hose) and put it in a big vice. Then grab the end of the piston (or pot) with a Stiltson and turn until you've broken the rust.

The use fine emery paper to clean it up (you don't need to clean the end that you've roughed up with the Stiltson - but I would).
The replace the seals and reassemble

Then - always do them in pairs (so do the other side too). Then cos you've got it all apart I'd recommend replacing the pads as a minimum but at the least check the disc thickness (there is a minimum number - when you've worn the disc below this you MUST change them).

Finally - when reassembling spray anti-squeal on the backs of the pads - get a can from Repco or Supercheap and it'll last you a lifetime and then bleed like crazy. And bleed all four wheels. What you're trying to do is flush out ALL the old fluid - it goes off (by absorbing water) and should be flushed every five years. It's probably never been done since your car was built!
82 GTi Cabriolet EG engine
82 GTi Pretender PG engine
03 Supercharged V6 24v 4 Motion

ludez

Quote from: vdubdave on November 23, 2016, 06:01:33 PM
Sadly that's a strip and rebuild.
Good news is that it's the front (the rears take much longer due to the handbrake mechanism)

I'd advise getting a replacement seal kit then take it off and take it apart. The easiest way I've found (although someone may have a better way)?would be to take the caliper and carrier off completely (2 bolts and a hose) and put it in a big vice. Then grab the end of the piston (or pot) with a Stiltson and turn until you've broken the rust.

The use fine emery paper to clean it up (you don't need to clean the end that you've roughed up with the Stiltson - but I would).
The replace the seals and reassemble

Then - always do them in pairs (so do the other side too). Then cos you've got it all apart I'd recommend replacing the pads as a minimum but at the least check the disc thickness (there is a minimum number - when you've worn the disc below this you MUST change them).

Finally - when reassembling spray anti-squeal on the backs of the pads - get a can from Repco or Supercheap and it'll last you a lifetime and then bleed like crazy. And bleed all four wheels. What you're trying to do is flush out ALL the old fluid - it goes off (by absorbing water) and should be flushed every five years. It's probably never been done since your car was built!

Thanks for the reply mate really appreciate it.

Damn well that really sucks! I don't have the tools or the ability to do all that honestly. Could I just buy a used caliper? My other cars gearbox has gone so crapty timing for this to have a problem

the phantom

there are no "cheap" options with brakes IMHO, only safe ones
Land Transport New Zealand, taking the fun out of driving since August 2008

ludez

Yep safety first of course. I will have to take to a shop to repair it then.