ABF not starting - CHCH

Started by Bagelito, December 05, 2016, 08:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bagelito

My ABF engine that's just been put in a Mk2 won't start. It's cranking no worries, has spark, and fuel is supplied to the rail. The injectors don't appear to pulsing however (no fuel odour from exhaust).

I'm thinking the ECU might be shot. Anyone have an ECU kicking around to test this theory? or any other theories as to why the injectors wouldn't be pulsing?

Cheers

M M

Have you wired in the power wire for the injectors?
Bought not built.

Bagelito

Doesn't appear to be. It's a slightly thicker red wire on the 5 pin fuel injector plug eh? I can't find the same wire where the loom comes through the under the dash. I checked the fuses and they are fine. what relay will it be powered off?

Note: This is a project that I've picked up near the end the engine transplant and someone else has done the wiring so far.

M M

From memory it's a single red wire with a yellow female spade terminal that plugs into a thing of it's own on the fusebox. Are you working with CE1 or CE2?
Bought not built.

M M

If you don't already know about this, this will be a huge help:

http://a2resource.com/electrical/electrical.html
Bought not built.

Bagelito

It has a CE1 fusebox.

There is a red wire going into the yellow plug C on pin 07. It has 12V on run. Looks fatter than the fuel rail power though.

Fuel rail power should be 12V eh?

M M

Quote from: Bagelito on December 11, 2016, 12:58:18 PM
It has a CE1 fusebox.

There is a red wire going into the yellow plug C on pin 07. It has 12V on run. Looks fatter than the fuel rail power though.

Fuel rail power should be 12V eh?

Yes fuel rail should be 12v. Also there is a plug at the engine for the harness so don't rely just on how thick the wires are. I'm not sure off memory where it's meant to go but there are heaps of wiring guides online or just compare CE1 to CE2 engine wires off the website I posted and you'll get all the wires you need. That's how I did it.
Bought not built.

BB

So are you running the ABF with the old mk2 digi ecu or have you retro fitted the ABF ECU?
Or is it running on K-jet?
You really need to do a ABF swap with the ABF loom and ECU and ECU relay etc. Make sure you have the earth going from the roker cover to the coil or they do fry ECUs.  Especially the Digi ones.
You also need the key reader etc to go with the ABF ECU if your using that, or pay JohnP to do a immo delete on the ECU.
The end is nigh, but the end of what is the question?

Bagelito

Cheers for the help guys. Yeah ABF ECU and immobiliser, head, block etc all earthed. I have it injecting but I think there is a problem with the immobiliser, initially fires but won't run. A friend is coming back from overseas in Feb and we'll try and sort it out then. Here's hoping for a running engine :-)

80 Vert

If it runs for a second or so its the immo stopping it. Wire in the immo box and code the key to it or do immo delete as BB suggested.
2010 T5 Transporter TDI  Tuned by Superior Tuning NZ
2003 Jetta Coupe soon to be R36TT
1991 Golf GTI 2.0 TSI swapped
1963 Type 34 Karmann Ghia, turbo 2.0
1990 Porsche 964 911 Carrera 4
1980 1303 Beetle vert, under restoration

johnp

If it is the inmmob, I can supply u a replacement chip that has the immobiliser deleted.