Media: Rally past makes the case

Started by le mans, December 08, 2016, 02:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

le mans

Sorry if this is a re-post. A nice chap posted me a copy of the article linked below (not sure who - maybe Tony?). Anyway, I found a copy online for everyone to enjoy:

http://www.driven.co.nz/reviews/classic-cars/audi-ur-quattro-rally-past-makes-the-case/

Edit: Oh and vask gets a plug...
QuoteLowe's found it's hard to source parts, and anyway he's not especially mechanical, so joining the VW Audi SportKlub NZ has been useful.

snowtyres

This original quattro, RR URQ is a great looking car and is a credit to Alister Lowe and the previous owners. It is remarkable that it has only travelled 118,000 kilometres, no wonder Alister is paranoid about stone chips.

There a couple of items in Jacqui Madelin's article that should be corrected.
This model was always the 'Audi quattro 20 V'
A more correct description than Audi UR Quattro.
As I understand there were 892 of this 'RR' model built between 1989 and 1991, some what more than the 'round 500' as quoted in the article.
The RR was also available with full leather seats as well as the party al leather jacquard seat trim carrying the 'quattro' logo.
The word 'quattro' does appear externally but only in the heating element in the rear window.

When our Audi quattro 20 V was registered  on 04.12.1990 to Audi U.K., as H143 YVV (quattro no. 487 of 892 built) like RR URQ it was a great car. 26 years, and 300,000 kilometers later URQ 20 (imported to Australia in 2000) it still is.

This quotation, from the UK magazine Autocar, describes the Audi quattro 20 V perfectly ....."There may be faster cars in a straight line, ones that can pull more lateral g on a smooth, dry tarmac. But few dispatch real roads and uncertain conditions with such confidence.....no make that distain. Has Audi built a better drivers car?"

snowtyres

Now - URQ 20
Was - H143 YVV from Evo May 2000 issue

WRURQ

Well spotted, agree. I had asked Jacqui for a copy of what she was going to publish so I could proof before going to print but she declined, hence some of the details. Good to see article being circulated, read and commented on.

WRURQ

Nice RR... Especially in Black with Black front smoked indicators. Have you got a copy of the Evo article you can post up ?

Not_Sean

Agree with the indicators smoked looks great but never understand why people want to hide the Audi rings. Otherwise a awesome looking car
2004 A3 2.0 FSI

le mans

You guys may or may not be Clarkson fans, but this is worth a watch. Fast forward to 36:15 (Audi quattro vs B5 RS4):
http://www.dpccars.com/car-videos-12/12-28-12page-Jeremy-Clarkson-Top-100-Cars-2001.htm

Horch

2018 Porsche 991 Carrera T Manual
1988 urquattro MB
1986 MB 300SL
1956 DKW RT250
2006 Vespa PX200

WRURQ

I have a grill with white rings that came with car as spare but have not been brave enough to try and replaced the clear front indicators back to standard yellow. Maybe some time I'll swap and try both together.

Audidude

Quote from: Horch on December 10, 2016, 05:54:56 PM
Yes... The Audi Sport quattro

Beg to differ, Horch.

Firstly though, I've never driven a sport quattro and would envy anyone who has.
Better driver's car?
Faster definitely. Rarer and more desirable and collectable definitely.
But by all accounts far more difficult to master and control due to the shortened wheelbase making it a much more "highly strung" twtchy chassis.
If the driver is a WRC ace, you're probably right, but for us more mortal drivers, I think the ur quattro would be classed as a better driver's car.

'90 Audi ur quattro 20v Tornado Red
'15 VW Amarok Highline 4Motion auto
'99 BMW M5 E39 (For Sale, see TM)
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM K20A - Circuit race car
'96 Honda Integra Type R DC2 JDM, Championship White
'15 Renault Megane 265 RS, Capsicum Red
'03 Porsche 911 996.2 C2, Black, full leather interior