Looking for expirenced 1.8t swappers

Started by MK2Meister, December 10, 2016, 04:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK2Meister

Hey guys im completing the 1.8t 20v conversion on my 1991 mk2 CL, i have sourced the Agu enging loom and ecu, ill be sticking with the standard aug gearbox, ive ordered an vr6 228 mm clutch flywheel and pressure plate, have yet to get my intercooler and piping, and im putting in g60 axles/cvs. im also tossing up between getting a megasquirt or using the older ecu.

Any advise, threads or contacts that have completed this swap before in new zealand? i just want to have a convo about technicalities you may have expirenced or if you have any advise.
Daddy why is your car called rabbit?

Fizz

Contact glidn/ hennie or Anton or vert80/ John they've done a few

johnp

Quote from: MK2Meister on December 10, 2016, 04:43:31 PM
Hey guys im completing the 1.8t 20v conversion on my 1991 mk2 CL, i have sourced the Agu enging loom and ecu, ill be sticking with the standard aug gearbox, ive ordered an vr6 228 mm clutch flywheel and pressure plate,[/i] have yet to get my intercooler and piping, and im putting in g60 axles/cvs. im also tossing up between getting a megasquirt or using the older ecu.

Any advise, threads or contacts that have completed this swap before in new zealand? i just want to have a convo about technicalities you may have expirenced or if you have any advise.

This is going to work? The AUG is an 020 trans.

M M

Quote from: johnp on December 11, 2016, 02:14:17 PM

This is going to work? The AUG is an 020 trans.

I do not believe so. Completely different flywheel and clutch setup if using 020.
Bought not built.

MK2Meister

After some research I've discovered the 228mm vr6 clutch won't fit, so I'm going to have to go down to a 210mm clutch, any recommendations guys? The quantum engineering guide says "uprated clutch" but doesn't specify what would work
Daddy why is your car called rabbit?

ranton-inc

Stop taking everything you read on the net as verbatim you'll just keep wasting money on pointless crap.

M M

Man there are probably more 1.8t mk2s these days then standard 8vs and a million threads on this topic. If you can't find everything you need within 30 minutes max of research then you shouldn't be attempting this swap yourself.
Bought not built.

Stancepimp

Little known fact is that using a Mk3 8v GTI flywheel will make that clutch setup work.

GLIDN

little known fact, anything more than OEM 150hp the AUG box will go boom. Due to the torque delivery of the 1.8T motor.

There is more than enough info online to do the swap indeed.
Safe yourself hassle, do the 02A gearbox conversion. Be done with it.
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning

fabgeii

I would go 02A (manual vr6) like said before or 02J they are probably easier to find.

M M

Quote from: fabgeii on December 19, 2016, 08:44:55 AM
I would go 02A (manual vr6) like said before or 02J they are probably easier to find.

A VR6 gearbox will not fit a 4 cylinder. You need a 4 cylinder 02A.
Bought not built.

GLIDN

Quote from: fabgeii on December 19, 2016, 08:44:55 AM

an 02J will have all the wrong ratio's. So you speedo will be out completely.
As M M mentioned. Find a 4cyl 02A box. Forget about a anything vr6 with this car.

As the only vr6 anything you should consider? IS a combo clutch kit and either mk3 GTI 16v or VR6 running gear. That's it.
this will remove many complications for you and assist in finding the correct information
Audi A4 DTM - K04 NZ New | All bolt-ons | Carbon Clean done
2012 MK6R Golf |Stage 3+ | Stage 4 DSG | Tuned & Built by HSP Tuning